X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ryobi Model BD4600 Sanding Machine

I am looking for a relatively low use (DIY) sanding machine. I would mostly be using it for deburring and some low-skill woodworking. The Ryobi fits the budget ($99), but there are other candidates. I am somewhat troubled by one review of the Ryobi that laments how quickly it goes through drive belts. The Ridgid sander is about twice the cost and has an oscillating spindle rather than a disc. There is a Delta out there too, but it has a much narrower belt sander than the Ryobi. I have a drill press that I can use for spindle sanding, albeit not oscillating. Any thoughts?

Re: Ryobi Model BD4600 Sanding Machine

NavyBuck,

I've had the BD4600 for about four years now and I haven't had a single problem with it. Mind you that every tool model has the occasional lemon, but other than the post that you mentioned, I have not read of any other complaints. I wrote a review of this tool for Epinions soon after I purchased it: http://www.epinions.com/review/Ryobi...t_127631330948

Hopefully that will help with your decision.

I should add that the outer end of the belt assembly is designed so that it can be used as an inside curve sander (drum) although it is a fixed diameter. Also, it should be noted that the 6" disc is nice, but like any disc sander, you really only use one side, otherwise it blows the dust up into your face. (This true of all vertical disc sanders. The disc sander on mine is very true with no wobble and no flat spots. I looked at several competive models and any that were the price range of the Ryobi were wobbly.

Features that I like on the Ryobi are the stop rest on the belt sander, easy alignment, and the belt can be used in either the horizontal position or the vertical position. Contrary to the package imaging, you can't lock it into an angle position without removing the belt guard. (The guard has access holes to loosen and tighten the socket head Allen bolts only at horizontal or vertical positions.) The small table with miter guage can be quickly relocated from the disc, to the left end of the belt for use while the belt is in its vertical position.

So, if you're looking for a small footprint bench sander, the Ryobi will do the trick. Certainly the size of the disc and belt are limiting, but for small projects you may not need a bigger machine, and belts at that size are readily available and less expensive. The BD4600 has a 30-day satisfaction guarantee and a 2-yr warranty.

The Ridgid is a pretty nice sander and I think several of the other forum members have it. It's twice the price of the Ryobi and takes up probably twice the space, but it has some very nice features and a 3-year warranty, 90-day Satisfaction Warranty, and with registration a Limited Lifetime Service agreement, should you ever need service and parts.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

I recently purchased the Hitachi SB10YI belt/disc sander from Amazon for $79 including freight. This is no light weight unit as it comes in around 60#. It comes with a dust collection bag but hooked up to my shop vac the dust collection is even better.

If the $79 sale price is still in effect you need to enter code 6MQ7TCA3 at checkout to receive the $50 discount off of the listed $129 price. Actually, it's worth the price at $129!
      Last edited by BadgerDave; 12-17-2007, 06:31 PM.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Thanks guys. Your comments were right on point.

Comment

I went ahead and ordered the Hitachi. With the $50 off, free shipping and no sales tax, that isone sweet deal. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

NavyBuck, glad I could be of some help. When I received mine I needed to do some very minor tweaking in order to get it to run smoothly and quieter. It was no big deal and only took a second or two to correct. If you have any similar issues when you receive yours just PM me and I'll be glad to walk you through what I did.

Comment

Thanks for the offer, Dave. Of course that presumes I can tell the difference between a machine running properly and one that is not.

Comment

At that price it is a steal. The shipping alone for that beast must cost over $30. I have a cheapy Harbor Freight one that I bought years ago. It is one of the few tools I have left from HF that actually work. However, it's belt is only 2". I like the full size belt on this one. I am surprised and disappointed that the Hitachi doesn't have a table for the belt...just the wheel....the HF one has both. However I am looking forward to a dust collection system that actually works. The HF one is pretty useless without a vac attached.

Comment

Disaster, the table can be used at both the belt and wheel locations. There is a mount located at both locations so you just move the table to wherever your working. BTW, the table is heavy, cast iron, unlike the stamped steel ones you find on so many of the lesser expensive units. The miter gauge is a POC though.

Comment

I should add that CWS provided a killer review of the Ryobi linked in his post. Great job there shipmate!

Comment

Working...
                    X