Sparks in the drill and saw

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparks in the drill and saw

I just recently bought a 4 piece refurbished set of Ridgid tools from Overstock.com and noticed that when I use the 18V drill and reciprocating saw on full power there are sparks that I can see on the inside. Is this normal?

Re: Sparks in the drill and saw

Perfectly normal, I think it's the brushes, but not positive.

Comment

Thank you so much....I was worried because I am kinda new at the power tool thing...

Comment

You may also notice when you stop them that alot of sparks are generated. This is common as well, they are caused by the brake working. The other sparks you see are common in not only cordless tools but in corded tools as well. As was mentioned they are from the brushes running against the armature of the motor.

Comment

Thanks again for putting my mind at ease...I really had no idea what it was. You guys really helped!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ashli View Post
            You guys really helped!!

hey it is what we do. and were are good at it, most of the time
            lol
            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Try this for both tools. It won't totally eliminate the sparks but it will help with tool life.

1. Set forward-reverse switch to reverse and squeeze trigger about 1/2 way and hold a few minutes.

2. Slowly release trigger and once stopped flip switch the forward.

3. Squeeze trigger about 1/2 way and let run a few minutes in forward, then slowly release trigger.

The above needs to be done with no load on the tools. It's a little break-in trick that helps seat the carbon brushes.
              Some of the tools only run in forward direction. In that case just run it at about 1/2 speed a few minutes and without load.

Comment

Working...
              X