Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: buying a cordless driver/drill, WHAT VOLTAGE SHOULD I GET?

Sounds to me like you need to get into the Ryobi One+ or the Ryobi Green (Lithium Ion) tools.

Comment

For what you want corded tools should be first choice, as other people have posted, that if you don't use battery powered tools all the time, the batteries will die a fast death. I found out the hard way too.

Comment

Yep, my suggestion also would be to get corded for most of the other tools you need. If you want cordless for the drill, I recommend the 14.4 Ridgid. Nice blend of size and power. Plus, the big advantage, that if you don't use it very often, there is the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement, so if you're batteries do die a quick death from lack of use, and need replacing in 2 or 3 years versus in 5 or 6, you have the LLSA to cover you for replacement batteries, and no further cost to you to start replacing batteries, the most expensive component of a cordless system.

Comment

Check out 18V NiCad drill or a combo kits that they are selling at low prices now compared to the Li Ion stuff. Even for small around the house projects I would say go cordless. Corded are cheaper, yes, and there's no battery to eventually wear out one day, but the convenience of cordless cannot be beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
            Okay, up until now you've gotten some pretty intelligent responses but that ends right here, right now! I don't care if you're screwing together a dog house or hanging a 4"x4" picture frame, be a man and get a nice big Ridgid Hammerdrill 18 or 24 volt. Several reasons, to begin with I see you are a Writer, unless you go to a gym the weight of the drill will give you a nice workout now and then. You said you are in a new place, so you really don't know what the future holds for this drill you will be buying. If you are only going to buy on drill, one time, go for something that will do it all, or close to it. Do you want the neighbors to see you outside with some little girlie drill? First impressions are important, don't blow it. Those light weight drills are fine for inside the house but when it's time to venture out, make a statement. Let your neighbors know that you mean business, and remember with Ridgid you get a lifetime warranty. This means if the drill slips and you get mad, you can take the drill and smash it on the ground while you curse. Trust me, the neighbors will not ask you to fix anything,and you will have established yourself as a take no prisoners do it yourselfer.
            Looks like Frank is getting into the x-mas celebration a little early. I will admit that on some primal level I like his thinking.
            Hell yeah! In fact, why mess around with some whimpy 24V, go directly to the DeWalt 36V hammerdrill. Buy some muscle shirts to, because when you are blowing some holes through your concrete foundation wall, you will want those sweaty, manly muscles to stand out for all the neigborhood babes.
            With this bad boy they will soon be asking you over to "fix" things around the house.... wink, wink. Happy holidays......

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
              Looks like Frank is getting into the x-mas celebration a little early. I will admit that on some primal level I like his thinking.
              Hell yeah! In fact, why mess around with some whimpy 24V, go directly to the DeWalt 36V hammerdrill. Buy some muscle shirts to, because when you are blowing some holes through your concrete foundation wall, you will want those sweaty, manly muscles to stand out for all the neigborhood babes.
              With this bad boy they will soon be asking you over to "fix" things around the house.... wink, wink. Happy holidays......
              Finally someone with a sense of humor. Best of the Holidays to you Ray.

Comment

If you get one those 36 volt babies, you better get a gym membership to go with it, you can't have one arm bulging and the other arm skin & bone.

Comment

If you want an excellent small, yet very powerful screw gun, look at the Bosch 10.8v driver, that thing is a miracle, and you can fit it in your pocket. For drills, I have always been a big fan of Bosch, but am becoming more of a Ridgid convert every day because of quality, price, and LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!
                  as far as voltage, I would go no lower than 12, and no higher than 18 unless you are going to be drilling 1" holes through telephone poles with an auger bit every day. Base the rest on how often you are going to be using it, and how large are the holes you will drill with it. If you think you will be using auger bits, definitely go with the 18v.

Comment

Also some smokin' deals on V18 Milwaukee at my local HD....grab yourself a 4 piece combo kit for under $500 smackeroos - a circular saw, sawzall or light might come in handy with those projects....I have the V28 and I don't use it much, but when I need the power, I have it. Nice feeling....
                    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I would recommend the Bosch 18v - it weighs as much as a 14.4v Dewalt or Hitachi, and will last longer. I picked up the combo kit, very happy. If you're just looking for a drill/driver for DIY and not a whole kit, maybe check out impact drivers. They are one of my favorites.

Comment

First thing to consider is how handy are you? Second how much do you or does your wife want you to do?

I have the Ryobi 18 volt renovator combo kit. I have used every tool in it except the sander on various projects in my house since I moved. I have redone 2 walls, removed an archway, installed cabinets, countertop sink and wall oven. I am working on crown molding but not using my cordless tools for that not overly practical. My two favorite 1 plus tools are the impact driver and the Right angle drill. The impact driver makes driving screws and lags very easy and the right angle drill is invaluable when drilling for pipes or wires in studs, or other close areas.
                        I did similar to you when looking for tools and after reading many reviews and soliciting input from this and other forums before I chose the Ryobi line price was a big consideration and the tools are pretty good. They may not be contractor grade, but I know a couple of contractors who use them because if they fall from a ladder or roof and break or get stolen they are not out $200+. The NiCad batteries are cheap $40 for a pair compared to almost $100 for some other brands for 1, I have not tried the new green Ryobi batteries yet but as funding makes it available I may.

The choice is ultimately yours read reviews and get input from who you can see if anyone you know has the tools your interested in and see if you can try them or get their first hand opinion, one suggestion though, if they don’t have any other power tools than just 1 brand e.g. Dewalt, Ridgid, Porter-Cable. Don’t ask what they think about a competitor brand just the tools they have/ use. It is easy to get a biased opinion not based on facts.

Comment

This is a great time to be in the market for a set of cordless tools. Low budget and great value Ryobi 18 volt lithium has a lot to offer and plenty of tools. Ridgid 18volt 3.0AH lithium is something I would wait for before buying a different brand. I like the strength, quality and perfomance of my five piece 18volt nicad Ridgid set and with the added performance of these 3.0AH lithiums you would be getting everything a set of cordless tools could possibly offer with the exception of a wide array of tools such as offered by Ryobi. My 18volt Ryobi lithium just keeps going and going, I can't imagine the added perfomance a 3.0AH lithium would give to my Ridgid tools. Best of luck in your decision.

Comment

Working...
                          X