Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

buying a cordless driver/drill, WHAT VOLTAGE SHOULD I GET?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying a cordless driver/drill, WHAT VOLTAGE SHOULD I GET?

I'm buying a corless driver/drill-

what is the difference between a 9.6 v, 12, 14.4, 18, etc, etc?

Is it just a matter of battery life or what? I'm thinkin of grabbin a 12 volt makita or dewalt, but maybe i should just grab a 9.6 if it really doesn't make a big difference?

Thanks,
    enp

Re: buying a cordless driver/drill, WHAT VOLTAGE SHOULD I GET?

Didn't you ever watch the sitcom "Home Improvement"?
    Tim "the tool man" Taylor will tell you...
    "MORE POWER!" (insert grunting here)

Comment

this all depends on what your drilling and for how long. if you are just doing very small things aroung the house or light hobby use then the the lowwer voltages will be fine for you, now if yoy are going to be drilling alot of holes or putting in alot of screws quite offten, once a week or or some heavyer drilling the a 14.4 might be the ticket, now it you might be taking this drill and using it on you job then 18 or higher is the way to go. now my guide lines are not set in stone, but low voltage = low power witch = short run times for the most part.

to give you a better idea in what to look for we need more information from you as in what will you be using it for? also this is the time of the year to buy tools as now you can find somereally good deals out there.
      9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

enp,

I agree with OSC, but let me add that there's a tradeoff as you go up in power; namely, weight and size.

I think you'll find a variety of "voltages" in all areas, but certainly the everyday demand of the trades would demand the longer running times and greater torque of the higher voltage tools.

While some guys are caught up in the 'more power' thing, there are others who seem to be quite happy with keeping their tools on the modest side. As you move up in voltage, the cost and the weight go up. Spending a couple of hours on a ladder with a big 18 or 24 volt tool in your hand can get tedious though.

My pick was the 14.4 drill/driver with a couple of batteries. Does what I need remodeling my house; but, I also have an 18V hammer drill and 18V circular saw. Don't use them a lot, but they're nice when I do. What I've found surprising is how much I use my 9.6 volt pivoting driver. I got that last year as part of a "combo", and didn't think it was going to do much for me; but now, I've found it really handy being lightweight, versatile, and just the thing for turning a few screws that are hard to reach.

BTW... Welcome to the forum and Merry Christmas to you and yours,

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 12-22-2007, 08:28 PM.

Comment

I'll be using it mostly for small projects around the house: building dog house, putting furniture together, screwing in curtain rods, etc. I expect that for a while, I'll be using it often (I just moved to a new place), but once I'm settled, it should be a once in a while thing.

-enp

Comment

You might also want to look at corded tools. I know, everybody wants cordless! But cordless tools work best when they are used often. Rechargeable batteries don't have a long storage life. So if you have a need to fix something after weeks or months of not using a tool, you'll have to put it on a charger first. Cordless tools are usually much more expensive than "corded" tools.

Likewise, rechargeable batteries have a relatively short life, in that if they are left unused too often, they will reach a point where they won't take a charge at all. Even used often they will deteriorate over time. Batteries usually are rated for 500 to 1,000 charges, but that's pretty optimistic in my experience.

Ridgid is the only manufacturer that I am aware of that offers a Limited Lifetime Service Agreement (LLSA) which also covers batteries and chargers. (You need to register your tool in order to get this... it's free though.) So, if you do decide the buy "cordless" then Ridgid is the only way to go, IMO.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

then i would go the 14.4 route only because you said the dog house, you need quite a bit of power, but let me sujust the ryobi line of tools for you they are good value and power for the home owner and you can pick you there 18 volt tools at a very resonable price of less the $75 in most cases, but you do have buy there battery and charger seperatly, but you might be able to go into home depot and get one of there kits for less then $200 witch will have the drill a saw a battery or two, and maybe a few other things.

for the home owner ryobi makes one heck of a tool. and are much better quilty the black and decker in many cases. and the rybis are 18 volt
              Last edited by oldslowchevy; 12-22-2007, 01:13 PM.
              9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

i also agree with cws with what he has said here as well.
                9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

You might want to seriously look at the Skil Model 2410-01. It is a 10.8V lithium drill/driver. At 44.99 plus shipping, it is a very good choice and buy. It comes with bits (drill and screwing), charger and storage bag. It also has a variable speed trigger, light and torque settings. It is very close to the Bosch (which owns Skil or vice versa) Model PS20, but about 80.00 cheaper. Granted it is not a heavy duty outfit, but for the average home owner, it will fit the bill. Ron

Comment

You might want to seriously look at the Skil Model 2410-01. It is a 10.8V lithium drill/driver. At 44.99 plus shipping, it is a very good choice and buy. It comes with bits (drill and screwing), charger and storage bag. It also has a variable speed trigger, light and torque settings. It is very close to the Bosch (which owns Skil or vice versa) Model PS20, but about 80.00 cheaper. Granted it is not a heavy duty outfit, but for the average home owner, it will fit the bill. Ron

Comment

Originally posted by pcarpintero View Post
                      I'll be using it mostly for small projects around the house: building dog house, putting furniture together, screwing in curtain rods, etc. I expect that for a while, I'll be using it often (I just moved to a new place), but once I'm settled, it should be a once in a while thing.

-enp
                      Based on you're descition of tool usage I recommend the Ridgid 9.6V pivoting screwdriver for the following reasons:http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R81030-P...r/EN/index.htm
                      1-It has enough power to do all the jobs you describe including driving a few 3-4 inch screws in the dog house.
                      2-It is light, fairly small and with the pivot feature flexible enough to get into alot of places around the house that a standard screw gun can't. It has much better trigger control than cheaper brand tools.
                      4-Although it is only around $60 at Home Depot it is well built and comes with Ridgid's lifetime service agreement which includes the battery.
                      5-The relatively low power and slow speed actually makes this tool more usable for the inexperianced. You will have less of a tendency to overdrive screws and to screw to fast and bounce the bit out of the screw head resulting in scratched or gouged furnature.
                      6-If you do a search on this forum you will find that many professional builders find this little tool surprisingly powerful, useful and well built. It has that kind of build quality.
                      A combination of price, durability, lifetime warranty, and usefulness make this a winner for a starter drill, screwdriver.
                      PS.....As all men find out, you WILL come to want more power, however this little beauty will find many uses for years to come.
                      Last edited by roadrashray; 12-22-2007, 07:47 PM.

Comment

Okay, up until now you've gotten some pretty intelligent responses but that ends right here, right now! I don't care if you're screwing together a dog house or hanging a 4"x4" picture frame, be a man and get a nice big Ridgid Hammerdrill 18 or 24 volt. Several reasons, to begin with I see you are a Writer, unless you go to a gym the weight of the drill will give you a nice workout now and then. You said you are in a new place, so you really don't know what the future holds for this drill you will be buying. If you are only going to buy on drill, one time, go for something that will do it all, or close to it. Do you want the neighbors to see you outside with some little girlie drill? First impressions are important, don't blow it. Those light weight drills are fine for inside the house but when it's time to venture out, make a statement. Let your neighbors know that you mean business, and remember with Ridgid you get a lifetime warranty. This means if the drill slips and you get mad, you can take the drill and smash it on the ground while you curse. Trust me, the neighbors will not ask you to fix anything,and you will have established yourself as a take no prisoners do it yourselfer.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                          ...and remember with Ridgid you get a lifetime warranty. This means if the drill slips and you get mad, you can take the drill and smash it on the ground while you curse.
                          I believe that in the fine print of the LLSA, there is a stupidity clause.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post

lol now thats funy
                            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                              Hey, is dat anyting lika Santy Claus?

Comment

Working...
                              X