X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 18 Lithium ion Compact Drill

Hi everyone, Im new to the site my name is Jason, I love Ridgid tools and have been reading the posts for quite some time so I figured I would sign up and make an account for myself.....So hi everyone nice to meet you. I just wanted to get some peoples input on the Ridgid r86006 as I just bought and Im wondering what some other peoples opinions are on it. I got the one with 2 batteries and the charger (there is one for sale with one battery and charger at H.D. for 99.00) I figured I would get the one with 2 batteries so I they would both be covered under the warranty. It seems like a nice, powerful, lightweight drill. Just looking to see what you guys opinions are on it.

Re: Ridgid 18 Lithium ion Compact Drill

i would have bought two of the ones with one battery and sell one of the chargers...this way you got two drills and they're both under warranty...

i'm still waiting for a nice high Ah 18volt battery from ridigd...something that is around 3Ah...everyone is saying it's coming out soon, hopefully they're right...i'm willing to wait til next xmas to see it...

Comment

Yeah I was thinking about buying 2 of the 99.00 ones but then if I sold the other stuff and kept the battery would the second battery still be under warranty. I guess this is more of a warranty question. I thought that you had to return the whole kit to obtain the benefits of the ltsa ? Anyways, I like the drill and was in a toss up between it for 179.00 the milwaukee 18 volt compact lithium for 199.00 and the makita compact lithium 18 volt for 199.00 and was wondering if anyone had use any of these enough to have developed an opinion either way. I know the amp hours for the battery is only 1.5 hours for the ridgid, 1.4 for the milwaukee and 1.5 for the makita but it seems like 1.5 hours might be ok as the battery charges in 20 mins. so if it dies it'll be quick to charge one up and have it ready before the next one does.

Comment

With the 20 min quick charger there is no problem running out of power since one battery easily charges before the next one runs down.

I'm a contractor and give my 18v compact Li driver drill hard use. I have had it about 6 months, use it daily and have never had it fail to have a fully charged battery ready when the battery in use gives out. I have used it for decking, screwing on metal roof, hanging drywall and many other jobs. I usually work with a helper. I cut the pieces and he fastens then in place so he is using the drill most of the time and basically running it constantly. On the drywall he likes to use it in the hi speed setting and really zap the screws in. Anyway, like I said, I have never failed to have a fresh battery ready from the charger when it was needed.

Having said that, it would be nice to have batteries with a little more capacity so you just wouldn't have to change batteries as often. It is not an excessive problem though and I am very happy with the drill. It is reasonably light weight, powerful, and tough enough to work all day without missing a beat. And speaking of power - the other day I was doing a metal roof on a porch and putting flashing up against a sidewall where I was going into oak siding. I was holding the drill at arm's length and when the screw got all the way in it just about twisted my arm around before I was able to let go of the trigger. Great tool.

Comment

I'm with Country Boy. I am a pro and have been using this drill for the last six months. It is light, powerful, well balanced, has great runtime on small batteries, sweet trigger control for those feel jobs and tough. I use it every day and in my opinion it is the best cordless since the Panasonic 12V LI.
          PS: The Maxselect Impact tool is a perfect partner for this drill.
          Either way you go I would suggest getting two batteries especially if you get the impact as it does not come with batteries. Buy it....You'll like it....Ray

Comment

Hello
            I have a question on the selector switch (controls forward/reverse). I have noticed that it has a lot of play (you can take it between your fingers and move it) when in one postion of the other. The one on my 14.4 v has a nice solid positve click and feel. Do any of you notice this on your 18V lithium? Ron

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald View Post
              Hello
              I have a question on the selector switch (controls forward/reverse). I have noticed that it has a lot of play (you can take it between your fingers and move it) when in one postion of the other. The one on my 14.4 v has a nice solid positve click and feel. Do any of you notice this on your 18V lithium? Ron

Ron,

It's a fair assumption that you purchased the 18V lithium at Home Depot. When I make a purchase with them and I am unsure as to the feel, fit, sound, or quality, I take it back and get another one. Their policy allows you to be totally satisfied with your purchase and you should utilize it to be happy with your purchase. To answer your question, "No, mine doesn't have that play". I know what I'd do in this case. It'd be worth the minor inconvenience to me to get one that I'd be satisfied with.

Comment

Hello
                Yes, I did buy it at HD. I looked at 3 and they all had the minor play in the selector switch. It is not alot of play though. Maybe, I am being too critical.

Comment

I love my 18 V Li Ion. I work in a cabinet shop and I use it alot during the day. I can easily make it through 8-10 hours of very frequent use without needing a battery.

Come to think of it though, that $99 deal wouldve been great. I often bring my whole setup home if I think Im going to use it at night. With the 2 drills for just $20 more than I paid I would only need to bring batteries home. Oh well, Im not going to exchange it now though

Comment

Originally posted by Ronald View Post
                    Hello
                    Yes, I did buy it at HD. I looked at 3 and they all had the minor play in the selector switch. It is not alot of play though. Maybe, I am being too critical.
                    Yeah, the one I bought six months ago had the noticable wiggly reversing switch and several others commented about it at the time. I decided to keep it and see what happened. What happened was i never notice it(and I can get a little fixated about that kind of stuff) and the drill is great.
                    Keep it, you'll love it...Ray

Comment

Used the drill the other night to button up some flooring that we were prepping for brand new hard wood floors, put it in oh around 100 2 inch screws easily. The drill is growing on me !!

Comment

I just bought the $99 package yesterday from HD. I used Dewalt and B&D Firestorm extensively over the summer and I was looking for a quality drill to buy. I considered quite a few drills and settled on this one. I put up a shelf and a couple other little things with it already. Trust me, I'm now looking for every excuse to use it. So far I'm very impressed.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                          Yeah, the one I bought six months ago had the noticable wiggly reversing switch and several others commented about it at the time. I decided to keep it and see what happened. What happened was i never notice it(and I can get a little fixated about that kind of stuff) and the drill is great.
                          Keep it, you'll love it...Ray
                          I'm the same - I'm what my wife lovingly refers to as "anal retentive". But, not an issue - a new drill, acts differently than previous ones I've held, nothing to freak out about. It works, not broken yet, not a major issue, and that's what a warranty/LLSA is for. Good to go.

Great tool. Welcome to the forum jayrocka1200.

Comment

Working...
                          X