X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milwaukee quality?

Just putting a question out there, I just recently picked up the ridgid compact lithium drill with the single battery and was keeping an eye out for a descent low end impact driver like the Ryobi. Looking for descent quality but I can't justify spending lot's of money on professional tools when your a weekend warrior at best.

Just got the latest HD flyer and I noticed the Milwaukee 18V LI Hammer Drill/Impact driver with 3 Ah batteries, package 0824-24P for $249. It's overkill for what I need but actually it makes it pretty much the same price than buying the single battery LI ridgid and dual battery Nicad Ryobi impact which would come to $229. You get tw0 3.0AH LI 18V batteries, nice case and the Hammer Drill and Impact driver.

For example projects coming up for 08, build a new barn, couple of decks and a playground at home.

Perhaps Ridgid has an Impact LI driver on the way and I should just hold? I am considering returning my LI compact Ridgid drill I just picked up recently to pick up that Milwaukee kit. I have read although that Milwaukee has had severe battery problems but no evidence to back those claims and if they were NiCad/LI batteries.

Re: Milwaukee quality?

I'd skip the ridgid and get the milwaukee. I wouldn't consider that 'lifetime' warranty to be a big selling point. Thats a good deal for the milwaukee and its better then the ridgid.

Comment

I've had the Milwaukee V28 set for almost two years and have been very pleased with it. I would say the Milwaukee's of old were better than the current Ridgid, but I don't know if that's true any more.

Comment

Originally posted by srgallan View Post
        For example projects coming up for 08, build a new barn, couple of decks and a playground at home.
        Pretty ambitious for a weekend warrior. You might want to consider a professional line of tools.

Comment

Just putting a question out there, I just recently picked up the ridgid compact lithium drill with the single battery and was keeping an eye out for a descent low end impact driver like the Ryobi. Looking for descent quality but I can't justify spending lot's of money on professional tools when your a weekend warrior at best.

Just got the latest HD flyer and I noticed the Milwaukee 18V LI Hammer Drill/Impact driver with 3 Ah batteries, package 0824-24P for $249. It's overkill for what I need but actually it makes it pretty much the same price than buying the single battery LI ridgid and dual battery Nicad Ryobi impact which would come to $229. You get tw0 3.0AH LI 18V batteries, nice case and the Hammer Drill and Impact driver.

Perhaps Ridgid has an Impact LI driver on the way and I should just hold? I am considering returning my LI compact Ridgid drill I just picked up recently to pick up that Milwaukee kit. I have read although that Milwaukee has had severe battery problems but no evidence to back those claims and if they were NiCad/LI batteries.
          You don't have to wait for the Ridgid impact tool. It is already here:http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R8823-Du...r/EN/index.htm I don't know about the quality of the Milwaukee tools, however based on the companies reputation I would anticipate they would be good. I believe both the Ridgid and Milwaukee cordless tools are manufactured in China by TTI.
          However I can attest to the power, balance, trigger control and battery life of the great Ridgid compact LI drill you already own and the Ridgid Maxselect Impact driver which will work with the Ridgid 18V Li battery you already have.
          I have been using both of these tools constantly as a professional builder for several months. They are very good tools and with due repect to tkash the LSA is good protection for insuring the long term use of expensive professional level tools. My nephew just threw out a $185 DeWalt drill because it became to expensive to repair.
          The drill you already own is the best all around drill I have used since the Panasonic 12V LI. It has very usable power, beautiful balance, perfect trigger control, a neat and handy light and great runtime on nice light batteries.
          If you go for the Milwaukee set I would guess the Hammer drill is much heavier and won't have nearly as nice balance as The Ridgid compact. I have always questioned the value of "hammer drills". The hammer funtion is only usable for drilling concrete and adds alot of weight to drills. I have the Ridgid 24V LI hammer drill and have only used it to drill concrete once. I would gladly trade that dubious feature for a drill that weighed around five pounds instead of the seven and half pound beast that it is.
          The real bonus is the very expensive LI batteries are covered under the Ridgid LSA. A quick check at Home Depot will show a replacement cost of $100 each you will have to pony up to replace the Milwaukee LI batteries.
          Bottom line with the great drill you already own is add the Maxselect impact tool and relax knowing both tools and the batteries are covered under the Lifetime Service agreement. I would suggest returning the Ridgid 18V single battery drill kit and purchasing the kit with two batteries for $179. That will bring the total cost to $179 plus $119 for the Maxselect Impact tool, or $298. I know that is a few dollars more than the Milwakee, however in my opinion you will have a superior drill and the battery replacement covered for a lifetime. The indications on this forum are for the LI batteries to require replacement approximately every two years so that would be a savings of $200 every two years.
          I suggest you need two batteries because one of the great teams in deck building is the drill with a countersink bit and the impact for driving the screws and it would be a pain to switch the battery back and forth. As was pointed out by plumberscrack, you have a pretty ambitious schedule of proijects for a weekender and will benefit by using dependable, high quality tools.
          Good luck...Ray

Comment

Thanks for the responses, roadrashray I was aware of that impact driver but I am somewhat in an isolated area of Canada and the closest HD does not have the MaxSelect line of tools. I have never seen them there nor can I find it @ HD online for Canada, I never looked at eBay but I doubt I would be eligible for the LSA.

The cost of tools are still quite a bit more expensive here in Canada vs. US, even with the dollar hovering around parity. I think the dual battery drill kit goes for $229 here if I am not mistaken and I cannot find it online or in store as well.

I might just keep an eye out, it's boxing week sales here in Canada. Not sure if that exists in the US but if not it would be similar to Black Friday for the week between Christmas and New Year. Makita may have some good specials.

Comment

I have the Milwaukee Impact Driver and it is great but the standard batteries are garbage. I have since replaced all of my batteries with the Lithium Ion batteries.

Mark
              "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks for the responses, roadrashray I was aware of that impact driver but I am somewhat in an isolated area of Canada and the closest HD does not have the MaxSelect line of tools. I have never seen them there nor can I find it @ HD online for Canada, I never looked at eBay but I doubt I would be eligible for the LSA.

The cost of tools are still quite a bit more expensive here in Canada vs. US, even with the dollar hovering around parity. I think the dual battery drill kit goes for $229 here if I am not mistaken and I cannot find it online or in store as well.

I might just keep an eye out, it's boxing week sales here in Canada. Not sure if that exists in the US but if not it would be similar to Black Friday for the week between Christmas and New Year. Makita may have some good specials.
                Yeah....Apparently some strange stuff is going on with Maxselect in the land of the looie.(spelling?) Probably a US government conspiracy because they are jealous that Canada is doing well and we are going bankrupt. There have been many reports that Canadian HD's had a buy one for $79 get one free sale on Maxselect suff recently with a dirth of inventory since. Wish they had done that here. Have you checked HD customer service to determine if one can be ordered? happy holidays..Ray

Comment

srgallan If you want me to, I can check my local HD for those items, and if they got them I could mail them to you, as I'm in the land of the Loonie too. There RRR is how you spell Loonie, got it , Loonie.

Comment

The reports are true.....there was a buy one get one on MaxSelect here in Canada. Only reason I moved on them....jigsaw, impact, planer, caulk gun....don't use 'em enough to pay more. I have the Milwaukee V28 set and it's a dandy, although the 18 volt drill/impact kit is currenly nice as well. You might want to look at a combo kit with the circular saw and recip though....I saw them being cleared out at my local home depot for under 500 bucks...may even qualify for a free radio, but maybe not. Impact driver is nice, but if you're building stuff, the recip saw and circular saw are awesome. My $0.02.
                    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by spintyer View Post
                      srgallan If you want me to, I can check my local HD for those items, and if they got them I could mail them to you, as I'm in the land of the Loonie too. There RRR is how you spell Loonie, got it , Loonie.
                      Got it spintyer......thanks. psssst Wanta swap some Loonies for some Georgies? Merry x-mas....Ray

Comment

tinmack, thanks for the suggestion but I can't imagine a cordless circular or reciprocating saw. I am fairly well equipped on the corded end and they have served me well.

Spintyer, I really appreciate the offer but I would not worry about it much. I am not in a rush for the impact driver, just figured it would especially come in handy this year. I managed so far without one, just when I first tried one a couple of months ago I told myself *I WANT ONE*.

Happy holidays everyone, off to spend Xmas with the family.

Comment

If you get one of the Li-Ion Milwaukee Cordless Kits you can get a free tool (radio, impact driver, or extra battery). I just picked one up for my Christmas present the other day. Got the 4 piece kit for $320. I got HD to price match Lowes who are having all their combo kits for 20% off.

Comment

Working...
                          X