Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will 18V compact Li-Ion batteries work in MaxSelect Impact Driver?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will 18V compact Li-Ion batteries work in MaxSelect Impact Driver?

Looking for a drill/driver and impact driver combo kit. The Makita compact set is top on my list, but I saw a nice Ridgid compact drill/driver at HD last night. They also have the MaxSelect impact driver without any batteries.

Will the compact batteries work in the impact gun?

Re: Will 18V compact Li-Ion batteries work in MaxSelect Impact Driver?

Great question as I just purchased the 18 volt compact LI !! i'm guessing that the 18 volt LI batts will work in the max select tools as they are the same platform (LI or NiCad slide on type)

Comment

Originally posted by dp View Post
      Looking for a drill/driver and impact driver combo kit. The Makita compact set is top on my list, but I saw a nice Ridgid compact drill/driver at HD last night. They also have the MaxSelect impact driver without any batteries.

Will the compact batteries work in the impact gun?
      I have been using the 18V LI batteries in the Maxselect impact tool for months. They work great. In fact, I have never needed to use my 24V LI batteries in the impact tool which will also work as well as the 18V Nicad. One of the nice features of all the Maxselect tools is that they will all work with any of the 18V Nicad, 18V LI or 24V LI.
      Now if ridgid would get off their duffs and give us MORE Maxselect tools. How about and angle grinder, or a variety of sanders, or real hammer drill, or a drywall gun, or metal cutting shears, or pruners, or ???????

Comment

Thanks! I think I'm leaning toward the compact drill and MaxSelect impact driver. That combo is a little more expensive than the Makita set, but the lifetime batteries is a bonus. I've already cashed in on that with four 12v batteries for my drill and right angle impact.

... now I hope Ridgid will get some up 12v Li-Ion batteries out there ...

Comment

I believe the Ridgid 18V LI compact drill and Maxselect impact tool are a great team as I stated in a post I made on another thead shown below. I have had no direct experiance with the Makita set however some posts have shown mixed reviews.
          "You don't have to wait for the Ridgid impact tool. It is already here:http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R8823-Du...r/EN/index.htm I don't know about the quality of the Milwaukee tools, however based on the companies reputation I would anticipate they would be good. I believe both the Ridgid and Milwaukee cordless tools are manufactured in China by TTI.
          However I can attest to the power, balance, trigger control and battery life of the great Ridgid compact LI drill you already own and the Ridgid Maxselect Impact driver which will work with the Ridgid 18V Li battery you already have.
          I have been using both of these tools constantly as a professional builder for several months. They are very good tools and with due repect to tkash the LSA is good protection for insuring the long term use of expensive professional level tools. My nephew just threw out a $185 DeWalt drill because it became to expensive to repair.
          The drill you already own is the best all around drill I have used since the Panasonic 12V LI. It has very usable power, beautiful balance, perfect trigger control, a neat and handy light and great runtime on nice light batteries.
          If you go for the Milwaukee set I would guess the Hammer drill is much heavier and won't have nearly as nice balance as The Ridgid compact. I have always questioned the value of "hammer drills". The hammer funtion is only usable for drilling concrete and adds alot of weight to drills. I have the Ridgid 24V LI hammer drill and have only used it to drill concrete once. I would gladly trade that dubious feature for a drill that weighed around five pounds instead of the seven and half pound beast that it is.
          The real bonus is the very expensive LI batteries are covered under the Ridgid LSA. A quick check at Home Depot will show a replacement cost of $100 each you will have to pony up to replace the Milwaukee LI batteries.
          Bottom line with the great drill you already own is add the Maxselect impact tool and relax knowing both tools and the batteries are covered under the Lifetime Service agreement. I would suggest returning the Ridgid 18V single battery drill kit and purchasing the kit with two batteries for $179. That will bring the total cost to $179 plus $119 for the Maxselect Impact tool, or $298. I know that is a few dollars more than the Milwakee, however in my opinion you will have a superior drill and the battery replacement covered for a lifetime. The indications on this forum are for the LI batteries to require replacement approximately every two years so that would be a savings of $200 every two years.
          I suggest you need two batteries because one of the great teams in deck building is the drill with a countersink bit and the impact for driving the screws and it would be a pain to switch the battery back and forth. As was pointed out by plumberscrack, you have a pretty ambitious schedule of proijects for a weekender and will benefit by using dependable, high quality tools."
          Good luck...Ray

Comment

Working...
          X