X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demand Ridgid Support For Accessories And Parts

I think it is time we as customers of home depot DEMAND support from Home Depot and Ridgid in reguard to supporting their line of tools with COMMON accessories, and disposable parts. I have the ts3650 table saw, got it five or so years ago, It is a great saw, but Ridgid/home depot don't have the simplest of accessories for it, namely dado and zero clearance inserts. I also have the 13" planer and a 12 miter saw, that I bought and installed the herculift systems on, the best lifting and moving system I have ever seen for power tools, but I now find that you cant get em no more, not even online. I would like to add a laser to my miter saw that I bought before new ones started coming with them. But ridgid doesnt see fit to offer such an accessory, and their saw is incompatable with other brand aftermarket ones. I still want to add to my little shop a good band saw, jointer, and maybe a drill press, but looks like I wont be able to get a herculift for them so they are conveinant to use in my small shop. Am seriously looking to get the jointer very soon but have read on these forum pages of people having problems finding replacement blades. I really like the quality of the ridgid tools I already have, but have just about decided to go with Delta, or Jet on the jointer because It is clear that I can't count on Ridgid/Home Depot to make, stock, or even offer online accessories, and even parts for there tools, so It doesnt matter how good the tool is, if you cant use it as needed or for extented period due to lack of parts, It is high time we demand support from Ridgid/Home Depot, or boycot the tools.

Re: Demand Ridgid Support For Accessories And Parts

I'm not quite sure how the HD customers could go about demanding that HD carry more accessories. I totally agree with you that HD definately earns a F- grade on this issue.

My method of protest on this issue has been not to buy the basic tool in the first place. So far, HD has lost a sale from me of a Ridgid Planer and a Ridgid Jointer. Two very excellent tools that were on my short list but fell off when I realized that HD offered little or no support after the sale for consumables needed for these tools.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

my last comment "boycot the tools" is just as you stated your means to protest by not buying the basic tool to start with. That might only result that they just quit selling them which would be a loss as I think they make some great tools for the money, but if they dont support after the sale........................................

Comment

You hit the nail on the head with about everything that you said my friend!!

I have the TS3650 and suffer the same problems as you. We shouldn't have to go to Amazon (or make our own) ZCIs but that is what we have to do. HD sells the item and Ridgid should demand that they support it with accessories. Ohh well, I am starting to no longer shop at the Borgs when it comes to tool purchases. I like the personalized and intelligent service that I receive at my local tool store. I pay a premium there, but it is worth the headache that I go through at HD, and they stock every accessory you could imagine, and if they don't, they will order it for you. It is a sad day when customer service is a thing of the past, but when shopping at Lowes or HD, I don't think that it exitsts. I hate knowing more than the person that works in the tool department, that just shouldn't happen, after all, it is there job....Why doesn't Ridgid let somebody beside HD sell their tools, the tools are great, the store that sells them just sucks...End rant...

(I am not trying to insult ALL HD or Lowes workers, I realize that good aprons do exist, but the ones in my area leave A LOT to be desired..)

Comment

and that is why I have hardly any Ridgid tools.

Comment

Before making any big RIDGID tool purchases, I talked with Tech support about this very issue of a lack of accessories.

Basically RIDGID found there were already so many after market accessories available that fit their tools which people were buying, that it just wasn't economically feasible to produce even more accessories. They did try, as evidenced by some old catalogs of various accessories which come with the big tool purchases. But that division was just a money loser for RIDGID, so they eventually shut it down.

As far as obtaining accessories I have had no problems in getting;

Knives for my Planer,
            Excellent ZCI's from LeeCraft for my 3650,
            Cast Iron Router Table extension from Bench Dog ~ again for my 3650,
            Heavy duty acrylic adapter base for my R2930 router,
            Mortise attachment for my DP1550 Drill Press
            etc...etc...etc...
            Sure they don't say RIDGID, but who cares as long as they work, right?

However, the one thing that even the Tech people couldn't explain was RIDGID's decision to stop making the Herc-U-Lift system. They said it was the best selling accessory by far & were at a loss as to why it was ever discontinued.

Comment

bigscore, It's not a matter of I wasnt able to buy blanks from rockler and make my own inserts, or unable to find replacement knives for someone, It's a matter of shouldn't have to waste my time, running from dealer to dealer, or endless google searches to find something that will fit. One should be able to get common accessories at home depot, or at least be able to order them from home depot, or as last resort order online from ridgid.

Comment

Originally posted by whosit57 View Post
                bigscore, It's not a matter of I wasnt able to buy blanks from rockler and make my own inserts, or unable to find replacement knives for someone, It's a matter of shouldn't have to waste my time, running from dealer to dealer, or endless google searches to find something that will fit. One should be able to get common accessories at home depot, or at least be able to order them from home depot, or as last resort order online from ridgid.
                I find more Rants, than Raves! Why such a strong following for Ridgid tools is beyond me? For the savings of a few dollars, and customer support that almost does not exist.... except for a pool of wheel chair hero's on this forum, some people put more effort into owning a Ridgid too than it is worth! Some of you guys talk about making your own accessories, or modifying other manuf. accessories to fit your needs? Why not just spend the few extra dollars and get fewer headaches!? The few Ridgid tools I own are because I could not find a suitable tool at a reasonable price. I've dealt with these Ridgid tools for as long as they last. After they die I learn a lesson and move on. Some of you guys just keep coming back for more! WHY?

Home Depot does not care about any of your thoughts, they care about their bottom line!! What moves inventory, and maximizes profit! They simply cannot carry every single accessory, and spare part for every tool out there. They would lose money carrying all that extra overhead. This is why Warranties exist. If there is a Demand, it should be to boycott Ridgid tools! Unless they actually stand behind there tools and LLSA. For anyone out there who depends on their tool to make an income knows Ridgid is not a viable solution.

Comment

pool of wheel chair heroes

Sad but true.

Comment

I have to admit I feel the same way. I read all these horror stories about service and getting parts that I wonder why people bother. Now i will say that i have quite a few Ridgid tools but I have not paid retail for any of them. They were all deeply discounted and I didn't even bother to register them as that process is a pain also. I am not knocking Ridgid tools. I am just saying that given their reputation on here for lack of service if I am going to pay full retail for something it would be a different brand.

Comment

Having been an HD employee and a Master Tech in the tool rental dept for 3 years, it's not HD's fault. Ridgid is the most convoluted company on the face of the earth. Even with a direct ordering set-up I resulted to purchasing parts out of my own pocket from warranty dealers in the city I lived in. When I had a Ridgid tool go belly up, I worked the RTV clerk in our store to return them and just grabbed a replacement off of the shelf. I would wait months for simple parts to come in. It's Emerson's fault they don't know which way is up.

Comment

It's not Home Depot's fault in that sense. They sell the product and aren't responsible for the manufacturer's warranty. They will give you the courtesy 15-30 days exchange or whatever that applies to everything else. People should really just use the general rule that you get what you pay for. If everybody else's 18V Hammerdrill is $300 and Ridgid's is $200 and they are offering a LSA on top of that which includes batteries, then there's probably some catch. It's not that Ridgid doesn't honor the LSA, it's just that it might take you 4 times as long to get the tool repaired. Something's gotta give at some point.

Comment

I purchased two Ridgid products at the Woodworking Show in Atlanta. They were sold to me by Ridgid reps. They were the EB4424 sander and the router combo kit. The router feels great in my hand and works great..The sander on the other hand was turned on and never rotated..never ran..Took it to the Ridgid authorized tool repair shop on Feb. 27. He replaced the start relay..no help..he replaced the motor...it went up in smoke...he replaced a second motor and it wouldn't run..
                          He called Ridgid they told him they were sending a new one to him for a replacement...Still no sander...When Ridgid was contacted I got a poster child for why equal opportunity doesn't work..Had to call back to get a proper English speaking person..I was told the sander was processed on April 03, 2009...Still no sander...Now here is the real kicker.....I was told I could not get the Lifetime warranty because I did not buy it at Home Depot....Go figure!!!I even told they I bought the damn tools from there reps at the show and was told how to apply for the lifetime warranty..
                          Thanks for the rant...I feel better..not much but a little...

Comment

I have had a problem with ridgid and can't get help from them. I took my hammer drill to a service center to have it worked on and the girl working the desk during lunch time did not give me a service ticket, just told me to call the serviceman back at 1 pm. I called and talked to him and he said he would get right on it. I called back a week later and the guy that answered the phone said the serviceman didn;t work there anymore but a new guy named marvin would help me. I asked marvin about my drill and he didn't know what needed to be done, i told him. I called back a week later and there was no answer all day. I called starting this week and got a message of another company name and not the one i took the drill to. I finely reached customer service at ridgid to tell them the story and they already knew about the company (that ridgid listed on their website) and told me that since i didn't have a service ticket i was screwed and they could not do anything. Great, i spent $300.00 0n the hammer drill and another $250.00 on a drill i bought 2 months ago and this it how they treat me. Does anyone know the correct address of the ridgid center in s.c. So i can give it to the judge when i file a claim against ridgid?

Comment

Originally posted by Kanxrus View Post
                              Why such a strong following for Ridgid tools is beyond me?

except for a pool of wheel chair hero's on this forum

For anyone out there who depends on their tool to make an income knows Ridgid is not a viable solution.

The strong following comes from decades of superior plumbing tools.

"except for a pool of wheel chair hero's on this forum"
                              Its true many hero's on this forum many of them went through hell to defend your right to say what you think.Thank you veterans! Some of them are hero's just because of the enrichment they have brought to the lives of there children and grandchildren.

"For anyone out there who depends on their tool to make an income knows Ridgid is not a viable solution" I disagree Ridgid still makes superior plumbing tools.

Comment

Working...
                              X