Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wobbling chuck

Hello All,

I recently bought a new ridgid cordless drill R86006 (18v Li-ion). The chuck seems to be slightly wobbly. I've torqued down the chuck screw but it was never loose to begin with.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'd send it back under warranty but that would yield some down time and I can't really afford to do that.

Re: wobbling chuck

You need to read the following

TO RETIGHTEN A LOOSE CHUCK
    The chuck may become loose on the spindle and develop a
    wobble. Also, the chuck screw may become loose, causing
    the chuck jaws to bind and prevent them from closing. To
    tighten:
     Lock the switch trigger by placing the direction of rotation
    selector in the center position.
     Open the chuck jaws.
     Insert the hex key into the chuck and tighten the chuck
    jaws securely. Tap the hex key sharply with a mallet in
    a clockwise direction. This will tighten the chuck on the
    spindle.
     Open the chuck jaws and remove the hex key.
     Tighten the chuck screw.

Comment

Just a note, when they say hex key, it means any hex key that you have, one that has a little substance to it(3/8" would work great), so it will take the mallet hits.

Comment

Ok I am going to ask a really stupid question. But I believe that I have the same issue with my drill. Whenever I put a drill bit in it wobbles so the hole is always a little bigger.

Do I just have to tighten the chuck or should I bring it in for repair.

Model # 8411501

Thanks again
        Robert Smith

Comment

The other possibilities are a bent arbor that the chuck is attached to,

a chuck that is miss machined, and not properly made,

after confirming that the chuck is tight and properly attached, if it still wobbles you could try a second chuck if you have one, but if it still wobbles after that more than likely the arbor on the drill is bent or miss machined,

If the checking on tightening on the chuck, it does not solve the problem more than likely you will need some new parts, thus probly best to send it in.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            The other possibilities are a bent arbor that the chuck is attached to,

a chuck that is miss machined, and not properly made,

after confirming that the chuck is tight and properly attached, if it still wobbles you could try a second chuck if you have one, but if it still wobbles after that more than likely the arbor on the drill is bent or miss machined,

If the checking on tightening on the chuck, it does not solve the problem more than likely you will need some new parts, thus probly best to send it in.
            Thanks BHD

No matter it is under warr so I guess it would just be best to take it in.

The chuck seams tight.

Comment

Hello
              Are you actually sure the chuck is wobbly? I have the same drill and noticed it also and thought it wobbled. I tested it by putting in a truely staight bit (very important to be absolutely accurate) and set my drill on the workbench and put a dot on the wall directly in front of the bit. I then turned the drill on and there was no variation at all. What really is happenping is the outer sleeve on the Jacobs 500 chuck is ( I think plastic) and if you push on the sides, you will notice it flexes. What this does is give the appearance of the wobbley chuch when in fact the sleeve is not that ridgid and isn't always centered. Does not effect the drill operation at all. On the Jacobs 5000 series chuck (used on Ridgids other drills) this outer sleeve is metal and a much more substantial chuck.
              Do the test before going through the hassle of sending it in or taking it back. Ron

Comment

Ronald brings up a good point. If it's just the sleeve but not the chuck jaws then not to worry. What works well for the wobble (runout) test is to use what's called a DRILL BLANK. It's a ground finish hardened steel rod of a given diameter. If you grab one of 3/8" diameter in your chuck jaws tightly and then run the drill at slow speed looking at the end of it, you can look for wobble. I think some of you may have bent or poorly machined drill bits, but do keep in mind that most keyless chucks aren't all that precision machined. A good quality keyed chuck in many cases gives far better results. You might want to pickup a good keyed chuck or borrow one and try it on your drill.

( http://www.jacobschuck.com/drill-chuck-install.asp )

I recommend removing your current chuck, cleaning and checking the spindle threads and then try reinstalling it. Then using a brand new twist drill of 1/4 - 3/8 diameter try checking for wobble.

Comment

Yes my outer sleeve wobbles a lot too, but a straight drill in the chuck does not. Maybe I check it with a drill rod and a dial indicator, and see how true it is, be interesting to find out.

Comment

Wobbling chucks seem to be an ongoing problem with Ridgid drills. I have a 14.4 drill/driver that looks straight as an arrow; but the wobble is such that I can't use a small (1/8 or less) drill bit in it without it snapping off. Real PITA, but I've been so busy I haven't sent it in for service yet. Thankfully I have other drills.

There have been several complaints about this particular drill in the past, and perhaps others. What I fail to comprehend is why this problem ever existed, much less continues. With four other drills in my inventory, going back as far as 40 years and costing as little as $8, this Ridgid is the only one that suffers from that problem.

CWS

Comment

This does seem to be a problem that needs to be addressed and the cause found. Is it poor machining of the spindle (just the drills with problem) or is it that a group of the chucks used on these drills were machined off? My gut feeling is that in trying to lower manufacturing costs that there may well be quality control issues both with the spindles and the chucks. It could also be bad spindle bearings.

If the drills in question are relatively new and you have the receipt, I would return it for another and see how it does. The customer shouldn't have to repair a new tool with defective parts.

With the above said, it seems like there are too many crappy grade drill chucks being made. I've run into a few in both keyless and keyed versions where they simply were *&^%$#@ quality and a replacement of the same part number was also a POC chuck. The only real solution was to replace it with a similar but higher quality chuck.

Comment

Hello
                        You would think that the Jacobs chucks would be of good quality. If I had to replace the chuck, I would use the Jacobs 5000 series verses the 500 series currently used. The 5000 series is all metal to include the outer sleeve.
                        The other complaint I have on the R86006 is the sloppy selector switch. Of all the Ridgid drills I checked at HD today, on the R86006 has that sloppy switch. I am sure it doesn't have anything to do with the function, but you would think that Ridgid could insure good fit with a drill costing close to 100.00s. Ron

Comment

I actually already had returned my first R86006 for another because of significant chuck wobble. The current one if I recall correctly was fine when I first picked it up two weeks ago, used it to put in drywall screws today and noticed that it has wobble.

I had a cheap no name drill for about 5 years that never experienced this issue, somewhat disappointing.

Comment

Hello
                            For all those that have the R86006 and the chuck looks wobbley, FIRST, check that outer sleeve to make sure it is not deformed and giving the appearance of the chuck wobbling. That sleeve is palstic as opposed to the chuck (5000 series) on the other Ridgid drills. Ron

Comment

I put a hardened and ground "drill blank" in the chuck, and then a dial indicator at 2" from the chuck, it read that there is more than 0.020" of "wobble" in the drill (R86006). This is NOT acceptable. I then removed the chuck, and checked it, and it was true(ran truer then Jacobs maximum specs), then checked the spindle without the chuck on it, and found the wobble. The gear box either has loose bearings, loose shaft, bad design, or bad quality control at the factory. With the chuck on the drill, and the hardened drill blank tight in the chuck, you can actually see the play in the gear box.

My question is now, how do the Ridgid valued customers get the product we payed for? As this might be a quality issue, as there seems to be a lot of drills out there with this problem, that DO need to be fixed.

Comment

Working...
                              X