Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New drill. Three choices... $100 budget.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New drill. Three choices... $100 budget.

None of us can recommend much, with out knowing what type of work you plan to do with them. You mentioned Heavy work, b&d is designed and built for the home owner, who has the occasional use for it, skil is about the same, and if you buy them, remember not to push them to hard or they will get even with you, sooner than you want. Remember the saying "you get what you pay for" (most of the time, sometimes you find bargains).

Comment

My recommendation is still the same as previously. Stay cordless - the benefits to a home owner are undeniable.

Comment

I have noticed DeWalt has gone down hill in the last three years. Black&Decker has cheap power tools I have a Black&Decker 10" table saw. It will do the job for me but anyone who wants quality don't even think about it. I got a Ridgid 12 volt drill and it was under $99.00 and this has out lasted Ryobi ,Black&Decker and De Walt. The 12 volt has a smaller battery than the 18volt drills . You can get into areas you cant with a larger battery. My 12 volt has plenty of power and has lasted three years now. The battery charges in less than 20 min. This drill has sold me with Ridgid. I like the warranty LIFETIME! I got my son a hammer drill on sale at Home Depot the drill has power but it is heaver than my 12 volt drill. I do not require that much power. I have to say the drill is very nice but the size and weight is an issue with my needs.

Comment

So I finally got a drill.

First of all, I was tempted by the Ryobi One ni-cad 18v drill / flashlight combo for $100. My friend got one and I only played around with it for a few minutes, but it looked pretty nice. Well, I went to the other local HD store to see what they had. I ended up settling on... the Ridgid 18v li-ion drill, charger, one battery kit for $99. With the $50 gift card I had, it was only about $60 out of pocket for me. Which, for a poor college student like myself, is quite a deal.

So far in the first few hours I've had it tonight, I've only put up a shelf, using it for a few pilot holes and screws. But you can count on me finding any excuse to use it around the house in the next week before classes start again.

The drill is lightweight, powerful (glad I went with 18v), and I think I'll really like the fact that it's a li-ion battery (no "memory" and 30 min charge time).

I'm really looking forward to getting many years of use out of this drill through responsible care and the lifetime warranty, if needed.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone. I think I will be very pleased with this drill.

Comment

Dude....you made the right choice. I picked up some of the MaxSelect tools in Canada here a couple of months ago and needed some batteries....got the 24 volters, then saw the deal on the compact drill....grabbed a couple of drills - sold the extra drill and charger, now I have a compact drill along with my honkin'V28 Milwaukee. And the batteries power all the MaxSelect tools. Awesome....canucksartech had it right, glad you did what he suggested. Even better would be if you bought another kit for the extra battery and got rid of the extra drill and charger somewhere...like eBay or your local buy and sell..........
            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I hate cordless tools... other guys laugh at me as I lay out my cord, but my batteries never die and I always have plenty of torque. I think for a homeowner, whose drill will sit for months w/o being used, will have a dead batt when they dig it out, and can't find the charger in the tool drawer cause now its in the random electric junk drawer, or maybe with the christmas lights cos i think thats the last time i used it, a corded drill is better. For $100 you can get a GOOD corded drill that will last forever, with maybe once like 15 years from now you have to put a new cord on it, and probably get a nice roll up 'power caddy' extension cord too.
              This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Ace....waddabout when you're out on the back 40 drilling some screws in the old shed...

whaddabout when you gotta saw off the top of a fence a hundred or more feet from your house....

Those corded drills, saws, lights, whatever....they come in mighty handy

Comment

I usually work in condominiums, not out on the ranch. I've got a little genny and throw it in the van when that comes up.
                  This is my reminder to myself that no good will ever come from discussing politics or religion with anyone, ever.

Comment

Show off....

Comment

Originally posted by jamesmyname View Post
                      So I finally got a drill.

First of all, I was tempted by the Ryobi One ni-cad 18v drill / flashlight combo for $100.
                      Good deal. Just be sure to register it to extend the warranty from 3 years to lifetime. Then you won't have to worry about the eventual death of the battery.

The Ryobi drills aren't bad for the money but are a step down in durability from the Ridgid. They are homeowners tools, not designed to take the daily punishment that tradesmans tools do. I just picked up the Ryobi LiIon OnePlus because I already have a mess of OnePlus tools and wanted the batteries. I've been pretty happy with the OnePlus lineup...but I definitely know the limitations. Some of the tools are really, really cheap compared to tradesmans....like the reciprocating saw. Others, like the hi speed grinder, work great and will most likely hold up to anything I'm likely to throw at them.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                        Good deal. Just be sure to register it to extend the warranty from 3 years to lifetime. Then you won't have to worry about the eventual death of the battery.

The Ryobi drills aren't bad for the money but are a step down in durability from the Ridgid. They are homeowners tools, not designed to take the daily punishment that tradesmans tools do. I just picked up the Ryobi LiIon OnePlus because I already have a mess of OnePlus tools and wanted the batteries. I've been pretty happy with the OnePlus lineup...but I definitely know the limitations. Some of the tools are really, really cheap compared to tradesmans....like the reciprocating saw. Others, like the hi speed grinder, work great and will most likely hold up to anything I'm likely to throw at them.
                        Disaster,

I, You, and Justabouteverybody, have/has a Ryobi tool in their box that benefits from their Lithium battery release. I have their 18 volt grinder, 18 volt miter saw, and a few other high amp draw tools that now "whine" higher on the rpms and do more work - longer. They hold up to some of the smaller jobs where I use them, but as you did mention, you've gotta know their limitations and you'll get a lot out of them. Over a 4 year period, I've only had one item in for repair - trigger mechanism on the 3sp P220 drill and just about all are past their 2 year warranty.

It really makes me look forward to a Ridgid 18 volt lithium release when it happens - I've got a ton of their 18volt cordless too. This past summer the NiCads didn't fare well in the heat as they took to long to cool before they would eventually take a charge and I was forced to pull out the corded (next day as I didn't have any corded with me at the time) for the duration of the job. If the efficiency of the Ryobi tool increase is any judge, it will definitely be a good thing. Sooner, rather than later would be good. My guess is that they'll handle work generated heat better too.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesmyname View Post
                          Ok, I browsed through HD's website again, and I noticed that both the Ridgid and the B&D are "online only" and both are out of stock online. In fact, quite a few of the drills are out of stock online. I should have noticed it sooner, but oh well. Their website isn't proving very helpful. I'm back from vacation now so I'm going to check out the local stores pretty soon. I think I would have gone with the Ridgid, but now I'll have to consider new options once I see what is in stock at the actual stores.

I won't buy another B&D since they have gone to riviting the chuck on to the drive shaft.
                          The one that I have, has a bad chuck, it won't hold a bit TIGHT!!!!. Because of the rivit, I couldn't get the chuck off without ruining the end of the shaft.....so I sent it in to the DeWalt repair shop three weeks ago, so far, have not heard from them yet.

Comment

I realize this is a Ridgid forum, but the B&D and Skil are not in the same league as the Ridgid....DW, PC, Makita, Milwaukee, Hitachi, Panasonic are more comparable competition for the Ridgid. Competition for the B&D/Skil are Ryobi, Sears, etc.

Comment

The latest PC looks like it is the old B&D. It looks like it in the displays at Lowes, and is priced the same too.

Comment

Working...
                              X