X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• all around router

I am looking for a good all around router like the bosch combo kit that does the fix base and plunge any suggestions

Re: all around router

Haven't used the RIDGID router but it has been rated right up there with the well known brands. I like the Milwaukee body grip routers but I don't think there is a plunge base available for them. The PC 890 series is nice and gets good reviews. Triton 2-1/4 HP router is worth looking into and has many features that others brands have for one reason or another not been able to duplicate with much success.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

i have both and i like them both. whatever you chose it will be great tool.

Comment

The Milwaukee does now have a two-base kit for the 5616 Body-Grip
        router. It is rated VERY highly. I have a 5615 for general work and I like this router very much. I've also learned through Milwaukee CS that the plunge base is available through them as an accessory for $99.

The Milwaukee is a great all around, versatile router in that it has above-table height adjustment, micro-adjust for hand-held and a very solid, comfortable, easy to control feel with the Body-Grip.

I also have Hitachi and PC routers and am pleased with them, too.
        The Hitachi kit is a good value IMO.

It will all depend on what you will use the router for and what you want to spend. Most of the name brand kits are reputable. Don't think you can go tragically wrong with any of 'em.
        Try to get your hands on as many as you can and go with the one that is most comfortable to YOU.

Hope this helps.

Comment

The Ridgid set is good but they make no accessories for them although they are compatible with some compatible Porter Cable accessories. The bases are good but not the best. Don't forget the Dewalt 3 base kit which also gets good reviews. There's also the Craftsman pro set which is a rebadged Bosch kit. Most of the big names make some very good kits. I doubt you'd go wrong with any of them.

Comment

Ahhh.. I've done more than nuff share lately ... coz I was shopping too...

Milwaukee combo set: cheapest is $199.99 (shipped) International Tools. Very good service.. a legit authorized dealer too.

Bosch combo set : you missed the boat.. no more freebie accessories...

Ridgid set: you miossed the boat ..no more $179, back to $199

DeWalt 618 set:.. I think they still have $40 rebate on going...

If I'm to buy again, I'd get the Milwaukee set... too bad mine is juts 3 weeks new ...

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin4317 View Post
              I am looking for a good all around router like the bosch combo kit that does the fix base and plunge any suggestions
              If I only had one, I would go with the bosch kit. It's the only kit I have used that has no slop in the fine adjustment. Plunge is butter smooth. Good power.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                There's also the Craftsman pro set which is a rebadged Bosch kit.
                They actually discontinued the Bosch clone. (Too bad, it was a nice set).

Craftsman has come out with a new line with a lot of options and configurations and packed with useful features at very tempting prices.
                Worth checking out as they have been very well recieved.
                As with all things Craftsman, though, accessories are proprietary.

Jury is still out on durability and no one seems to know yet who is actually
                manufacturing these routers for Sears.

Comment

Originally posted by l_bilyk View Post
                  If I only had one, I would go with the bosch kit. It's the only kit I have used that has no slop in the fine adjustment. Plunge is butter smooth. Good power.
                  That's one thing I noticed about the Bosch and really liked. The fine adjustment on my ridgid has a lot of slop from the flimsy adjuster. It's extremely irritating when every time I have to make a super fine adjustment and the settings are thrown out of whack because of play when I try to adjust.

I'm also wondering how good the Dewalt is in that regard. Reason I'm really looking into the Dewalt is because they offer the D-Handle base which I would really like. It looks like Bosch only sells the D-Handle as a complete seperate kit which is a big drawback.

Comment

Originally posted by Yossarian View Post
                    They actually discontinued the Bosch clone. (Too bad, it was a nice set).

Craftsman has come out with a new line with a lot of options and configurations and packed with useful features at very tempting prices.
                    Worth checking out as they have been very well recieved.
                    As with all things Craftsman, though, accessories are proprietary.

Jury is still out on durability and no one seems to know yet who is actually
                    manufacturing these routers for Sears.
                    Didn't know that. They still have some left at the local Sears for a very good price which is tempting.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                      Didn't know that. They still have some left at the local Sears for a very good price which is tempting.
                      Grab it while you can....they didn't have any left at my local Sears.
                      They seem to be clearing out their stock of "name" routers (DeWalt, PC, Milwaukee).
                      I got the Mil. 5615 for $75 on clearance recently.

Comment

Working...
                      X