Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid 18v 3ah Lithium Batteries Comming

Originally posted by tu4evr View Post
    i saw today in the system comp at hd that there will b a 12 volt li ion for 129 and a 4 pc 18v li ion for 369. dont know if the prices will change...but its some thing...
    sweeeeeeeet...i'm down for it...can't wait...

Comment

I would assume these will be different than the ones the released with their 18V compact drill late last year? I have been very disapointed with those up to this point and have stopped using them. A coworked purcahsed the DeWalt nano in November and loves them. I may give these new ones a try when they come out since I already have the tools, that is if the new ones fit all the older tools.

Comment

I like the idea of 12 volt lithium for my Ridgid right angle impact gun. It's a really nice tool but the battery does not last very long.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
          I like the idea of 12 volt lithium for my Ridgid right angle impact gun. It's a really nice tool but the battery does not last very long.
          You have to realize that the formula that is used in batteries does not chance how long the battery will run. The only thing that will increase run time is an increase in Amp Hours and you normally see lower Amp Hours as you drop in voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch View Post
            I would assume these will be different than the ones the released with their 18V compact drill late last year? I have been very disapointed with those up to this point and have stopped using them. A coworked purcahsed the DeWalt nano in November and loves them. I may give these new ones a try when they come out since I already have the tools, that is if the new ones fit all the older tools.
            i've been very interested in the dewalt lithiums too cus i've heard GREAT things about their cordless jig saw and drill...

only problem is that the new nano batts don't fit too well with prior tools...

Comment

You have to realize that the formula that is used in batteries does not chance how long the battery will run. The only thing that will increase run time is an increase in Amp Hours and you normally see lower Amp Hours as you drop in voltage.
              I agree with your assertion about Amp Hours, however Amp Hours being the same there is a difference between the performance of a nicad battery and a lithium ion battery. The lithiums don't show their loss as nicads do, they give 100 % and then just quit. I like that especially when using a high draw tool such as an impact, none of that growing weakness as the battery is used.

Comment

The "AH" stands for amp hours 3 would be the number. The greater the AH, the longer the tool can run. Let's say every time you take a gulp of water from a glass it's the same 4 ounce gulp, you can only get three gulps from a 12 ounce glass, but you can get 6 gulps from a 24 ounce glass. Your cordless drill will run twice as long before needing a change if you have the 3.0AH battery instead of the 1.5AH battery. That's why many of us have been asking for and hopeful to get that higher AH battery.
                Makes sense...thanks for the explanation. Will have to look at this in researching my next cordless tool purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by DeuceLee View Post
                  only problem is that the new nano batts don't fit too well with prior tools...
                  That is not true at all. We have 4 of the new Nano batteries here in the shop and the Nano battery fits perfectly into everything we have with the exception of the radio. In order to charge the new battery you have to have the new charger because the old black charger is not equiped to charge the Nano battery and since the radio is also a charger it will not take the new battery. Not sure where you got your info but it is not correct.

We do a lot of concrete drilling and my coworker has been using the Nano battery in his Rotary Hammer and his XRP Hammer for the past several weeks now.

Comment

Lurch, I don't think his meaning is that the new Nano batteries will not fit or work with older tools, because they do. The problem is, they don't fit well. There is an overlap, where the new Nano battery is smaller, and the contour line on the old tools is bigger, and doesn't really match up. If you don't know where we are getting this information, it's simple - go to the store, and compare the Nano batteries to the older tools. They just don't mesh too well together, enough to be irritating.

Comment

That is not true at all. We have 4 of the new Nano batteries here in the shop and the Nano battery fits perfectly into everything we have with the exception of the radio. In order to charge the new battery you have to have the new charger because the old black charger is not equiped to charge the Nano battery and since the radio is also a charger it will not take the new battery. Not sure where you got your info but it is not correct.

We do a lot of concrete drilling and my coworker has been using the Nano battery in his Rotary Hammer and his XRP Hammer for the past several weeks now.
                      The new Nano battery does not fit flush on many of the older tools, it has been discussed many times. It does not affect the way the tool works, but it is an aesthetic issue.

Comment

Originally posted by workerbob View Post
                        The new Nano battery does not fit flush on many of the older tools, it has been discussed many times. It does not affect the way the tool works, but it is an aesthetic issue.
                        thats basically what i was trying to say...

thats is SOOOOOOOOOOO stupid on dewalts part...man what a stupid move!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DeuceLee View Post
                          thats basically what i was trying to say...

thats is SOOOOOOOOOOO stupid on dewalts part...man what a stupid move!!!
                          I would totally disagree that it is a stupid move. Who cares what it looks like? It's not a beauty contest.

The main purpose of lithium ion is to decrease the weight of the battery and by making it smaller they have decreased the size and the weight of the battery. As was mentioned before it has not effect on performance or any other effect on the tool at all.

So again do you care who your tool looks or how it performs?
                          Last edited by lurch; 01-13-2008, 10:10 AM.

Comment

I have not seen how the fit of this new battery is on existing dewalt tools, is it so bad that it catches on things? Does dust and dirt get into the tool and battery because the fit is not perfect? These things could cause a problem beyond how it looks.

Comment

I have not seen how the fit of this new battery is on existing dewalt tools, is it so bad that it catches on things? Does dust and dirt get into the tool and battery because the fit is not perfect? These things could cause a problem beyond how it looks.
                              We have not found it to be a problem at all in our shop and we drill a lot of concrete and create a lot of concrete dust. We have a few of the XRP Hammer Drill and the new battery didn't change the balance or antyhing like that either.
                              Last edited by lurch; 01-13-2008, 10:09 AM.

Comment

Lurch,

Check your spelling and grammar, buddy. No offence intended, but some posts are hard to understand.

Comment

Working...
                                X