X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid 18v 3ah Lithium Batteries Coming

Here we go again with the same trite question...

Home Depot has no idea about the new battery, no price, availability etc.

But..you go to e-bay and "babyheel" has four of them "new in sealed package" for $79.00 each!

Where the hell did he get them? And of course you can't can't get the warranty because you don't have a home depot receipt!

Cactus Man

Comment

Re: Ridgid 18v 3ah Lithium Batteries Comming

That was fast. The seller is just 20 minutes south of me. I wonder if the BG HD has them in stock now. If so, I'd have to imagine that the Toledo HD's have them. They must have fallen off the truck if they're $99 in the stores.

Comment

Which chargers will work with this new battery? Obviously you can't use the NiCd chargers, but what about the 24v charger?

Comment

Will these 18v 3.0Ah Li-ion batteries be any better than the 24v Li-ion batteries they've had out for a while now? It seems to me that 24 would be better than 18, as long as the amp-hours are similar (or even a bit smaller in the 24 since it has more voltage). I picked up the 5 piece 18v Ni-Cd set on clearance for 299 right around new years but haven't opened it yet as I'm leaning toward Li-Ion. I'm about to pull the trigger on the 3 pc 24v Li-ion kit for 379 but if the 18v Li-ions will be better I'd pay the extra $100 for that kit.

Jason

Comment

Originally posted by mdm View Post
            That was fast. The seller is just 20 minutes south of me. I wonder if the BG HD has them in stock now. If so, I'd have to imagine that the Toledo HD's have them. They must have fallen off the truck if they're $99 in the stores.
            Who knows where they came from, I don't think they're a good deal. With shipping to my home they would be $90.00, so another ten bucks and I get them from the store with the warranty! I want two of these batteries and of course I need a charger. Will they be sold only as part of a kit? How much will the charger cost? Would it be smarter to buy a kit for $350.00 or so and get two batteries a charger and two or three tools? I'm just gonna wait and see.

Comment

I bought the $99 18 volt lithium drill - 1 battery and charger - for the smaller drill, but really to get the lithium charger availability expressly for when the newer, larger 18 volt lithium batteries came out. I won't have to buy another kit to get batteries and charger and have duplicate stuff that I'd have to sell later down the road. I'll buy one lithium now and should be able to manage with a 3 ah and the 1.5 ah and rotate them on the charger for the saws and such that are the bigger amp draw items for now. Should be able to make do with 1 additional lithium as I have 4 of the lifetime guaranteed 2.5 ah NiCads and a dual charger for them too.

If the batteries are anything like the Ryobi lithiums, they'll have an extra set of small contacts on them that serve to differentiate to the charger that the battery is either a lithium or a NiCad. The lithium charger has the additional contacts as does the lithium battery. Put the lithium in a NiCad only charger and the additional contacts on the battery have nothing to interface with and thus, won't let juice flow as there will be a break in the circuitry that is required by the lithium battery. Put the NiCad in the lithium charger and all's fair for charge up.

Might be a little cheaper to get the $99 single battery drill kit and wind up with a cool and lighter drill to boot. Unless you've really got a need for a slew of lithiums, this might be a way to go.

Comment

Whoops, I forgot to do the math. $99 drill plus (let, say) and $80 battery = $180.00 for 4.5 ah of lithium power, compact drill and charger. About the same price as the 2 1.5 ah battery lithium setup that sells for $179.00. Sorry, you get no bag with this deal though.

Comment

[QUOTE=Spinalzo;116425]I bought the $99 18 volt lithium drill - 1 battery and charger - for the smaller drill, but really to get the lithium charger availability expressly for when the newer, larger 18 volt lithium batteries came out. I won't have to buy another kit to get batteries and charger and have duplicate stuff that I'd have to sell later down the road. I'll buy one lithium now and should be able to manage with a 3 ah and the 1.5 ah and rotate them on the charger for the saws and such that are the bigger amp draw items for now. Should be able to make do with 1 additional lithium as I have 4 of the lifetime guaranteed 2.5 ah NiCads and a dual charger for them too.

You bring up yet another question that needs to be answered. Is the charger designed for the 1.5AH lithium capable of properly charging the 3.0AH lithium? Can the higher amps of the 3.0 cause damage to the compact drill?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post

You bring up yet another question that needs to be answered. Is the charger designed for the 1.5AH lithium capable of properly charging the 3.0AH lithium? Can the higher amps of the 3.0 cause damage to the compact drill?

Yes, the charger will charge any of the batteries - 9.6 volts to 18 volts be it NiCad or Lithium just as the NiCad charger will do for all the NiCad batteries. All that is added to the charger (I preseume - that's why I likened it to the Ryobi charger - same company, TTI) is another set of contacts that serve on the lithium batteries as a sort of fail safe so that you cannot charge with the regular NiCad charger. Other than that, all's well. I charge my NiCads with the lithium charger and it appears to do a better job. Had what I thought was a dead Ryobi NiCad and put it on their Lithium charger and voila, it was restored and accpeted charge where the NiCad charger wouldn't do squat.

Part 2 of your question: No. The drill will only draw what it needs from the power source. Much the same as the circular saw or reciprocating saw will draw what it needs from the power source. Albeit, the draw from the smaller battery will mean that it's ability to deliver the power (volts x amps) will be of lesser duration because of the needs of the higher draw tools. The higher amp tools will run until the battery reachs it's cutoff limit and stop which will be sooner with the smaller ah battery.

Comment

Spinalzo's correct on both points, I believe. The extra contact, though, on the lithium batteries appear to work in conjunction with the battery monitoring circuit in both the LI battery and the LI charger. This system monitors current/voltage/amps/etc., so as to ensure that the LI battery does not go kaboom.

Also, yes, the new 18 volt LI 3.0Ah batteries will charge on the current LI chargers. The addition of the extra Ah will not cause any issue with working with this charger or even with the 1.5 Ah compact LI drill. It's not the same as added voltage. The increased Ah is simply more power reserves (equalling longer run time) - it's not added voltage, which is more power flow, which, yes, would be an issue on the drill.

I'm sure that once we get the chance to see this battery in the stores, and the packaging that they're in, I'm sure that they have the current LI charger (that is being released with the LI compact drill), listed as the correct charger to use - probably listed by the model number.

Comment

Originally posted by mdm View Post
                        Which chargers will work with this new battery? Obviously you can't use the NiCd chargers, but what about the 24v charger?
                        No, the 24volt charger charges the 24volt batteries - that's why they call it a 24volt charger - it cannot charge the lower voltages. You need to use the RapidMax charger that will charge the 18volts, but not an older Ni-Cad only charger - it will need to be one of the newer 18volt Lithium-ion chargers that are included in with the newer compact lithium ion 18v drill (it sounds like it's coming out with some more newer tools and kits, also).

Comment

Originally posted by jdjanka View Post
                          Will these 18v 3.0Ah Li-ion batteries be any better than the 24v Li-ion batteries they've had out for a while now? It seems to me that 24 would be better than 18, as long as the amp-hours are similar (or even a bit smaller in the 24 since it has more voltage). I picked up the 5 piece 18v Ni-Cd set on clearance for 299 right around new years but haven't opened it yet as I'm leaning toward Li-Ion. I'm about to pull the trigger on the 3 pc 24v Li-ion kit for 379 but if the 18v Li-ions will be better I'd pay the extra $100 for that kit.

Jason
                          Sort of yes, sort of no.

These new LI 18volt 3.0 Ah batteries are of lower strength (voltage) than the higher LI 24volt batteries, also 3.0 Ah. These new ones are quite simply better from any other current 18 volt batteries - the biggest NiCad is 2.5 Ah, I believe, so these last 0.5 Ah longer, drain wise, and they are also obviously much lighter, due to the materials used. So, the 24volt would be better, as they have the same average Ah (run time), but they give more ooomph, due to their higher strength, voltage.

The thing that makes this new battery great is that it can be used on any 18 volt Ridgid tool, and gives you the added benefits of lithium ion. Also, with this new battery being 3.0Ah, it is the longest running / highest Ah 18 volt battery available for these tools.

Dude, I'd say get the new 18 volt lithium ion kit, if it released soon - return the NiCad set. Once you go to lithium, you'll never use nicads again! Also, if we're lucky, the new 4-piece LI kit will have some of the MaxSelect tools - which you can also use the 24 volt batteries with to get the extra punch of power. You can't use the 24 volt batteries with older nicad tools, only with the newer MaxSelect ones, which will hopefully be included in the new kit.

Comment

Thanks for the answers and information. All sounds very promising. Can't wait to see what Ridgid has to offer us in the new kits. Thanks again.

Comment

I'm glad to see that the styling of the bigger 3.0 Ah 18volt lithium ion battery is the same as the 1.5 Ah battery. Makes it nice that things flow well - just a thicker looking battery, basically. It's nice that the styling differentiates the LI batteries from the NiCads. Also, I'm glad that this newer one didn't get styled after the 24 volt.

Seems stupid to say maybe, but it just works and flows better, I think.

Comment

Just one more quick thing to note about that eBay listing picture for the new Ridgid 18 volt 3.0 Ah lithium ion battery. I see that on the packaging, it only has the Ridgid 3 year warranty logo on it - I don't see the LLSA logo on there. Does this mean that this item is not eligible for the LLSA with registration, if bought from HD as this solo packaged battery? Batteries packaged with kits are eligible, so is this one also?

Josh, ProBrand?

Comment

Working...
                                X