Ridgid 18v 3ah Lithium Batteries Comming

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ridgid 18v 3ah Lithium Batteries Comming

Anyone have one yet. Just curious as to how they're working out. I haven't seen anymore on ebay.

Comment

They're in certain stores in Michigan now, right around the border region. Funny thing is, one store I went to had none, hardware manager thought it would be a fair bit yet before they arrived. Went to another HD about 6 miles away, next closest one, and they had about 8 or 9 sitting there, front and center.

Didn't pick one up yet, but will be shortly (got a 24 volt set instead, will be too busy trying to hide that one from the wife for the next little bit).

Compared the weight of the new 3.0 Ah LI 18v battery to the 1.5 Ah LI 18v battery that comes with the compact drill. Funny thing is, it's double the power/juice/whatever - however, it seems heaver than twice the weight. Seems almost to be about 125% heavier, about 25% heavier than the 1.5 Ah. Yes, I know that there's plastic security packaging there, and it adds weight, but I did take that into consideration. All in all, it is still MUCH lighter than the NiCads. This larger 3.0 Ah LI battery seems to weigh about 10-15% less than what the original standard (1.3Ah?) 18v NiCad batteries weighed (the ones that came with the original 18v drill). Still very impressive, once you figure in Ah run time, and the other added benefits of LI. Also, yes, priced at $99. And, it is almost identical to the current 1.5Ah LI battery, in design and everything, and is just about perfectly double the thickness, to make up for the extra cells.

Yes, these hand-held-weight-estimates are just that, estimates. Sorry, I did not have a small digital scale in my pocket when I was in the store, so I can not be more specific on the actual weights. Left it at my dealer's house.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
        however, it seems heaver than twice the weight. Seems almost to be about 125% heavier, about 25% heavier than the 1.5 Ah.
        i don't get it, twice the weight should be 200%, so was it 2x the weight? or one and a quarter times the weight?

stupid central wi still haven't gotten it yet...no biggie though, i'm not ready to buy anyways, probably in two weeks...

Comment

Sorry, maybe my Canadian math.

What I meant by 125% heavier, was 125% added onto the original weight.

IE - if the 1.5 Ah battery is 150 grams, the the 3.0 battery should maybe be around the 300 gram mark (simple example here, not actual weights). However, it feels like this 3.0 Ah battery is around 350 grams or so. Just a comparison.

Sorry if my "drunken master" version of math messed with anybody's head.

Comment

Well, I finally saw the mythical 3.0 AH 18 volt lithium battery in my H/D today. They had four hanging on the battery display wall, no price. So I asked a couple of the workers in the tool area, one was wearing a Ryobi shirt. They said they could look up the price, $99.00. I asked about chargers and the fellow with the shirt who was holding the Ridgid compact lithium drill said he just uses the nicad charger! I know, I know. Patience, hopefully before there are any home fires or burn victims this will all get straightened out. Personally, if I had any say in the matter there would be some well placed signs explaining the importance of charging lithium batteries in specially designed lithium chargers only. The batteries would not ship or be displayed without the proper chargers.

Comment

They are selling individual 18 volt 3Ah batteries but no lithium chargers? So these are only good for people who have already bought the compact drill?!?! I thought they were going to sell a kit with a charger and battery...like they did with the 24 volt MaxSelect kits.

Comment

Originally posted by Disaster View Post
                They are selling individual 18 volt 3Ah batteries but no lithium chargers? So these are only good for people who have already bought the compact drill?!?! I thought they were going to sell a kit with a charger and battery...like they did with the 24 volt MaxSelect kits.
                I think some of the newer rapid max twin chargers will charge lithium batteries. It should say on the charger. Hopefully they will come out with a kit, because right now a charger is $99. I would just buy the compact drill for $99, you get a single port charger, drill, and battery for the same price as the twin charger.

Comment

Getting the Compact LI Ion drill at HD will also get you a Lifetime Service Agreement. I would be skeptical getting a warranty from almost anything on EBay.

Comment

Originally posted by Hottrodd View Post
                    I think some of the newer rapid max twin chargers will charge lithium batteries. It should say on the charger. Hopefully they will come out with a kit, because right now a charger is $99. I would just buy the compact drill for $99, you get a single port charger, drill, and battery for the same price as the twin charger.
                    NO, NO, NO Please don't put guesses up on this forum regardling a safety item. Someone will read your post and take it for gospel and jam an LI battery in a Rapid Max Twin.....and possible burn their house down or cause an explosion.
                    The Rapid Max Twin definately is not designed to be used for LI batteries. This issue was clarified within the last day or so by someone who had contacted Ridgid. The point is that you must be positive the charger you are using is appropriate (AND SAFE) for the battery you are going to charge. The only way to do that is to check the data plate on the charger. It will list the model number for every battery that can be safely charged on it. Check the model number on the data plate on your battery. If you get a match...wallah! If not, do not charge that battery in that charger.
                    Some say Ridgid definately dropped the ball by not putting appropriate warning stickers on each model of charger, however what about all the NiCad chargers already out there and with continuing misinformation regarding use of chargers. Bottom line.....the info is on the charger and battery. Protect yourself....Use it

Comment

Holy crap, I can't take this any longer! Will someone please pack up all the different ni-cad and li-ion batteries and chargers and send it to the MYTHBUSTERS! If something can possibly blow up, Adam and Jamie will make sure it happens!
                      Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                        NO, NO, NO Please don't put guesses up on this forum regardling a safety item. Someone will read your post and take it for gospel and jam an LI battery in a Rapid Max Twin.....and possible burn their house down or cause an explosion.
                        The Rapid Max Twin definately is not designed to be used for LI batteries. This issue was clarified within the last day or so by someone who had contacted Ridgid. The point is that you must be positive the charger you are using is appropriate (AND SAFE) for the battery you are going to charge. The only way to do that is to check the data plate on the charger. It will list the model number for every battery that can be safely charged on it. Check the model number on the data plate on your battery. If you get a match...wallah! If not, do not charge that battery in that charger.
                        Some say Ridgid definately dropped the ball by not putting appropriate warning stickers on each model of charger, however what about all the NiCad chargers already out there and with continuing misinformation regarding use of chargers. Bottom line.....the info is on the charger and battery. Protect yourself....Use it
                        I never said that the newer twin chargers would charge lithium batteries, but that I thought it might. That's why I said that it would say on the chargers if it could be used with lithium. You have to check for yourselves.

I'm not sure why this is such a problem. All of us here are smart people, and any charger that can be used with lithium plainly states it on the charger itself, right next to where you put the battery in. They don't hide it. All we have to do is look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hottrodd View Post
                          I never said that the newer twin chargers would charge lithium batteries, but that I thought it might. That's why I said that it would say on the chargers if it could be used with lithium. You have to check for yourselves.

I'm not sure why this is such a problem. All of us here are smart people, and any charger that can be used with lithium plainly states it on the charger itself, right next to where you put the battery in. They don't hide it. All we have to do is look at it.
                          Hottrodd, this is a place to share information and ideas. I agree that while we may not be dummies, not everyone here knows the hazards of charging these newer batteries in the wrong charger. I think Ridgid is making a big mistake assuming all or most consumers (Pros included) know the difference. They should have figured out a way to prevent the newer lithiums from going into the nicad only chargers. They should have offered through Home Depot an even exchange for the proper charger, with this message placed on the batteries and tools. There are just too many people in a rush or unaware of the hazards to assume they know better. Heck, when I went to H/D last week to check out the 3.0 lithiums a worker there with a Ryobi shirt who said he worked for Ridgid had the compact drill in his hand and told me he charges it in the nicad charger. Someone is going to get hurt if the warnings are true, why take that chance?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                            Hottrodd, this is a place to share information and ideas. I agree that while we may not be dummies, not everyone here knows the hazards of charging these newer batteries in the wrong charger. I think Ridgid is making a big mistake assuming all or most consumers (Pros included) know the difference. They should have figured out a way to prevent the newer lithiums from going into the nicad only chargers. They should have offered through Home Depot an even exchange for the proper charger, with this message placed on the batteries and tools. There are just too many people in a rush or unaware of the hazards to assume they know better. Heck, when I went to H/D last week to check out the 3.0 lithiums a worker there with a Ryobi shirt who said he worked for Ridgid had the compact drill in his hand and told me he charges it in the nicad charger. Someone is going to get hurt if the warnings are true, why take that chance?
                            I agree that there should be some type of safeguard in place, at the very least some signs at the stores. And employee's should definitely be trained better. I was just stating that there is some personal accountability also. Any time you buy a new product, you should make sure that it will work with the products you have, don't just assume it will. We all know what happens when you assume. The exchange thing would be cool and I support it , but I really don't see it happening. If it does, that would be awesome.

I was wondering, how are other manufactures handling this problem? I know most of them have engineered their lithium batteries to work with their older tools, therefore I would imagine that they would fit into their old chargers also, resulting in the same problem that Ridgid is having.

Comment

my store just got 4 of the batteries in yesterday. Im glad i work in recieving, i was the first one to see them. hopefully a new chrger is on on the way or maybe even something like the starter kit.

Comment

My Home Depot has had the new 3.0's for a couple of weeks now, but at $100.00 each I'm wondering if the kits will be a better bargain? They would probably include two of the batteries, charger and two or three tools. If you figure two batteries and a charger would cost at least $250.00 how much more would the kit with tools cost?

Comment

Working...
                                X