Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

MS1290LZ, MS1290LZ1 & MS1290LZA What's the difference?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MS1290LZ, MS1290LZ1 & MS1290LZA What's the difference?

    I am searching the reviews etc. of all the sliding compound miter saws and have seen three versions of the 1290. Is the 1290LZ1 or the 1290LZA and update of the 1290LZ and if so, what is the difference? Thanks,
    Tom

  • #2
    Re: MS1290LZ, MS1290LZ1 & MS1290LZA What's the difference?

    I wish I knew.
    I read some less than favorable Comments about alignment of this saw, but I had asked and I got one for Christmas. So far I love it, but it does need to be adjusted. Mine is the MS1290LZA, and it has the laserline feature. It's my first miter saw ever, so I have lots to learn.
    BTW this is the saw that Home Depot stocks, at least in my area.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: MS1290LZ, MS1290LZ1 & MS1290LZA What's the difference?

      I believe the MS1290LZ is the oldest, followed by the MS1290LZ1 and most recently the MS1290LZA came out. I am not too sure what the differences are, outside of guessing on some minor improvements over time I suppose. I do not own any of them myself and from reading the specs on the Ridgid site only thing I see noted is the LZA version states a blade depth stop which the former two do not, but it may just not be noted on the spec page. Here are a couple of links on the forum to some reviews of the saws:

      http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9926

      http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14136

      Not sure if that helps much. I'm sure some of the others here can probably offer more information.
      Still enjoying all 10 fingers!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: MS1290LZ, MS1290LZ1 & MS1290LZA What's the difference?

        Do yourself a favor and stay away from Ridgid miter saws.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: MS1290LZ, MS1290LZ1 & MS1290LZA What's the difference?

          I received the following information from Ridgid when I was researching for the best miter saw in my price range: "They are all the same model product, with the @1 indicating a manufacturing faciltiy change, and the one with the A is a new version with an adjustable laser".

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: MS1290LZ, MS1290LZ1 & MS1290LZA What's the difference?

            Thanks for the replies. I like the 12"+ cross cut capabilities, so I think I will get the saw, set it up, check it and return it if not pleased since HD said they had, I think, a 90 day satisfaction guarantee. It won't take me that long to find out if I will like it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: MS1290LZ, MS1290LZ1 & MS1290LZA What's the difference?

              I have a MS1290LZ and I have to say after 1 year usage the only issue I have with it is the Dust Collection, seems to me it would be an easy fix for the RD team at Ridgid but aside from that my saw cuts true unlike saws that others have had problems with. Maybe I just got lucky and got a lemon. If your getting the 1290 do yourself a favor and get the utility vehicle to accompany it. Its extra bucks but its worth it if you move it alot or using alot of long stock.


              Cheers
              Bill

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: MS1290LZ, MS1290LZ1 & MS1290LZA What's the difference?

                Here's a pic of what I use my MS1290LZ1 for, and it's not wood. I cut about 600 to 800 pcs. per month with it, @ a 45* angle, and I holding a + or - 1 deg. or less in aluminum tubing (1" x 3" x 1/8" wall), I own a machine shop, and found this to be a faster and better quality cut then my big vertical band saw.Click image for larger version

Name:	2d3999abc5d7a2ab2b0190167e21b7e1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	2481

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: MS1290LZ, MS1290LZ1 & MS1290LZA What's the difference?

                  Originally posted by Newman View Post
                  Do yourself a favor and stay away from Ridgid miter saws.

                  Newman,

                  What are your reasons for stating this? I was in the market for a 12" dual bevel saw and was torn between the Ridgid R4121 and the DeWalt DW706...I think. I bought the Ridgid though I have not yet set it up.

                  It will be used for general homeownership stuff at first but later be put to use in woodworking. Thus I'm definately concerned about having an accurate saw....was the R4121 not a good choice???

                  Thoughts please

                  Thank you

                  George

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: MS1290LZ, MS1290LZ1 & MS1290LZA What's the difference?

                    Originally posted by GFarra View Post
                    Newman,

                    What are your reasons for stating this? I was in the market for a 12" dual bevel saw and was torn between the Ridgid R4121 and the DeWalt DW706...I think. I bought the Ridgid though I have not yet set it up.

                    It will be used for general homeownership stuff at first but later be put to use in woodworking. Thus I'm definately concerned about having an accurate saw....was the R4121 not a good choice???

                    Thoughts please

                    Thank you

                    George
                    If you do a search you will see that there are lots of post where people are having problems with Ridgid miter saws not being square or 45 to the fence. It appears that Ridgid has not addressed the issue. I figure with so many other miter saws to choose from, why take a chance with the Ridgid. If you already have it, why not try it and see if you are perhaps one of the lucky ones.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: MS1290LZ, MS1290LZ1 & MS1290LZA What's the difference?

                      I've read the posts on the miter saw not cutting square, but the one I bought and used for about a month is cutting very accurately, I made roughly 1500 cuts so far, and I check the angle every 50 or so pieces, so far still right on. And there are some adjustments that can be made if that's not the case(I think), so I'm a little in the dark about the not so straight cutting that's being talked about, or maybe I got lucky I don't know (MS1290LZ1).

                      Nobody has ever given a very good description on how it's cutting not square, or how many degrees it's out of square, or if it can be adjusted to cut square.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: MS1290LZ, MS1290LZ1 & MS1290LZA What's the difference?

                        I believe the problem with the Ridgid scms shows up when you use the bevel...
                        Something to do with a poorly aligned/machined pivot joint...

                        Straight miter operations should be ok as you can adjust via jam nuts and gib screws (page 20) or you can align the fence (page 22)
                        It's harder to fix a badly machined mating surface of something like the pivot assembly and saw base...
                        Cheers! - Jim
                        -------------
                        All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: MS1290LZ, MS1290LZ1 & MS1290LZA What's the difference?

                          Now you got me wondering, I'll have to check the bevel cutting again. I did check it when I bought the saw, but not that close, as I decided to cut my material using a miter, rather then a bevel.

                          Thanks for the info !!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: MS1290LZ, MS1290LZ1 & MS1290LZA What's the difference?

                            I started this thread and have had a chance to check out the saw. I've had my Ridgid MS1290LZA now just two weeks and I give it five stars. I have it mounted on the Ridgid AC9944 stand with a Jet DC 650 dust collector. I set the laser, since it's mounted on the arbor, from its stock vertical position to show on my cut line with the saw about half way down. I've read others saying the laser was worthless, but it has to be adjusted to what each person will get used to. Since the laser light is slightly away from the blade, it has to be adjusted angled in, to show under the blade. Of course as you lower the blade, the line position moves.
                            As far as dust collection, with the dust collector, it collects 80% to 90% of the dust. Before the vacuum was connected, the air in the house, with just a few cuts, was laden with saw dust.
                            I initially used a square the check the saw. To check the accuracy of the cut, I made cuts at various angles including a 2x6 at a right 45° miter angle and a right 45° bevel angle. Then, I changed to a left 45° miter angle and a left 45° bevel angle, turned the board over and made several cuts each time narrower. All the cuts were perfectly parallel. Your could see light through the thinnest cut. So I give this a 5 star rating. It will be as accurate as I will ever need.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: MS1290LZ, MS1290LZ1 & MS1290LZA What's the difference?

                              Originally posted by tacm1965 View Post
                              I started this thread and have had a chance to check out the saw. I've had my Ridgid MS1290LZA now just two weeks and I give it five stars. I have it mounted on the Ridgid AC9944 stand with a Jet DC 650 dust collector. I set the laser, since it's mounted on the arbor, from its stock vertical position to show on my cut line with the saw about half way down. I've read others saying the laser was worthless, but it has to be adjusted to what each person will get used to. Since the laser light is slightly away from the blade, it has to be adjusted angled in, to show under the blade. Of course as you lower the blade, the line position moves.
                              As far as dust collection, with the dust collector, it collects 80% to 90% of the dust. Before the vacuum was connected, the air in the house, with just a few cuts, was laden with saw dust.
                              I initially used a square the check the saw. To check the accuracy of the cut, I made cuts at various angles including a 2x6 at a right 45° miter angle and a right 45° bevel angle. Then, I changed to a left 45° miter angle and a left 45° bevel angle, turned the board over and made several cuts each time narrower. All the cuts were perfectly parallel. Your could see light through the thinnest cut. So I give this a 5 star rating. It will be as accurate as I will ever need.
                              Good news!

                              Hopefully they've addressed whatever previous issues everyone had with this saw... either that or you just got lucky

                              Here's to having fun with it and may you make many error free cuts
                              Cheers! - Jim
                              -------------
                              All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X