Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rigid OF45150 Compressor leaking

Hello everyone,

I have a 7 month old compressor which has run great till recently. I keep it in my garage with an air line always plugged in to one of the 2 ports. Since its gotten cooler out (garage isnt heated) I've had an audible leak from the port with the line thats connected.

If I switch connections on the compressor, still leaks. I replaced the male adapter on the air line, still leaks. I'm using Rigid brand air lines and connectors, no odd brands.

Can that female port be replaced? Should I take it back to HD? Call Rigid?

Input welcome, thanks in advance!

Kevin

Re: Rigid OF45150 Compressor leaking

Try adding a little bit of light oil to the rubber seals inside the female connector, sometimes this stops the leak, and make sure you keep the water drained from the tank ie: after daily use.

Comment

I believe these are conventional "quick-connectors" that are used. Frankly, they just don't provide a real positive seal, especially in cold weather where the o-ring may not be as flexible. The question is, how much do they leak? Are you talking about a leak severe enough to pop the compressor on every few minutes, or is it just not keeping pressure over a period of hours or days? (Not sure if you keep the compressor plugged in and always switched on , or whether you activate it only when you are on a project.) Quick-connectors are great for their intended purpose, but they are not really designed to provide a long-term, 100% leak-free connection.

I have a Craftsman oil-less and I almost immediately installed a shut-off valve just before the quick-connect. From my experience, that's the only way to ensure a positive shut-off of the air supply to the hose and tool. It also makes popping the hose on and off a lot easier when there's no pressure there.

CWS

Comment

It looses 5-10 PSI in less then 10 minutes. Is there another type of connector other then the quick disconnect?

Comment

Loosing air that fast tells me that you have a serious leak. Even for a larger capacity compressor, that's not acceptable IMO.

So, I'd check to see if the O-ring is damaged or perhaps there's debris in the connection which is preventing the collar from snapping tight around the plug-in nozzle.

I wasn't sure (by your first post) if you meant the compressor was popping on once or twice a day, as it would do with a slow leak. But at the rate you describe, your compressor is doing a lot of unnecessary work. How tight does connector seal when the hose is unplugged?

On my 33-gal Craftsman, I installed a shutoff, just before the quick disconnect. That way, I can keep the unit pressurized without concern for leaking. Also, it makes plugging in or disconnecting a lot easier with no pressure in the connector.

Happy New Year
          CWS

Comment

When I purchased my PC pancake the first thing i did was went to a Mac tools rep and spent 100 bucks on all new commercial grade male and female connectors. Been using them for 3 years and my compressor doesnt loose 1lb of pressure from leaks. When installing the new fittings just make sure to use teflon tape on the threads, this eliminates leaks.

Regards
            Bill

Comment

Originally posted by NailBanger View Post
              When I purchased my PC pancake the first thing i did was went to a Mac tools rep and spent 100 bucks on all new commercial grade male and female connectors.
              Might just be me, but that's why I think it's not worth the savings to buy a PC compressor - spend that extra money in getting a better unit, with that type of quality fittings from the get-go.

Comment

Replaced both female nozzles on the compressor and the male on the short connector with Milton hi flo connectors. No leaks, tight as a drum.

Sad you have to do this when you spend so much on a compressor.

Comment

Working...
                X