Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will RapidMax Twin Charger work with 18V Li-Ion?

I am wondering about compatibility with the RapidMax Twin and the 18 V Lithium Ion battery packs. (Yes the 1.5Ahr one) Will the pack fit? If yes, will it charge/blowup/kill cell/do nothing?

I thinking of getting the 5 piece set from HD then buying 18V 3 Ah lithium when comes out or buying 1.5 Ah lithium packs but would like to use the Twin charger that comes with the set.

Thanks

Re: Will RapidMax Twin Charger work with 18V Li-Ion?

The twin charger will only charge the nicads, it will not charge the Li-Ion.

Comment

I've had the five piece 18 volt nicad kit for a while now and the tools are great, unfortunately the twin charger was not designed to accomodate lithium ion batteries. I paid $449.00, so you would be getting a good savings. MY suggestion is to wait and see how the 3.0AH 18 volt lithiums are offered. I plan to buy two and a charger that's made for them, but if Ridgid offers a kit with several tools and the batteries and charger, why rush to get the five piece nicad set? Either way, we won't know until they are on the shelves. I don't mind buying more tools to get the 3.0 lithiums and charger because I like the Ridgid tools and along with the nicads I have it's the best of both worlds. If you plan to use these lithiums on the hammerdrill, recipro and circular saw and any future high draw max select tool, the 3.0 is worth waitng for over the current 1.5 compact.

Comment

wow frank, you read my mind exactly on what i'm going to do

Comment

Partime, you only can charge lithium ion batteries that have the lithium ion logo on them. Charging them on a standard charger will NOT be a good thing. The RapidMax twin port charger is an older charger, and not lithium ion compatible.

Like others have said, we'll have to wait and see what the story is for when the new 3.0Ah 18volt lithium ion batteries are released. It would be nice to see them offered for sale in a kit, besides maybe just the solo batteries - 2 of these batteries, and a charger (either single- or dual-port), but a charger that will charge all types (nicad and lithium ion) and all voltages (9.6v, 12, 14, 18, AND 24v).

Comment

The charger "140276006 (R840091)" that came in the 8 pc. set that I bought, will charge 9.6 v, 12 v, 14.4 v, 18 v, Ni-Cad's, and 18 v Lithium-ion, but it is just a single port charger(the set comes with 3 batteries, 2 - 18 v Ni-Cad, & 1 - 9.6 v Ni-Cad). It doesn't say it can charge any 24 v batteries, which would have been nice since some of the tools in the kit were Max Select, and can take a 24 v battery, so if I want to buy a couple of 24 v batteries, I have to get a charger with it. Hopefully Ridgid will bring out a duel port charger that does all their batteries, a "Smart Charger".

Comment

Working...
            X