X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordeless Hitachi HXP combo vs Makita LXT

I'm hoping to get some advice on the following. The goal: 1/2" hammer drill, impact driver, circ saw and recip saw. To use for rennovations and around the house/yard. I have a corded circ already.

The Choices: I have narrowwed it down to:
    -Makita LXT401 combo for 400$Can from HD with all but the impact and buy the impact body separately from ebay ~105$. Total $505

-Hitachi KC18DBL-W combo with all tools for ~510$ with shipping (I can get a third battery using mail-in from Hitachi for 5$).

My questions really surround the Hitachi tools as they are less common:
    -anyone ever have to send one in for Warranty repair? How was the service?
    -how robust/useful is the light on the belt clip and how durable is the clip?
    -comments on relative quality between the two: batteries, drill, impact circ and recip?
    -how useful is the depth gauge on the Makita?

I was considering the 5 pc Ridgid set for their warranty and that is how I found this forum. However, their tool bodies are heavier and they do not have 18V 3.0 Ah Li-ion out yet (24 is too much). They don't have the double bit holder or built in work light which are handy around the house. Plus they would be about 600$ for the set.

(oops on the subject misspelling, can't correct)

Re: Cordeless Hitachi HXP combo vs Makita LXT

this isn't going to answer your question, but, i too have been eyeing that lxt kit for months, and having heard that a 3.0Ah 18volt lithium from ridgid already has some sku's in the store computer, i, my friend am waiting for that set!!

Comment

See the thing is I can't comment on the hitachi set because they feels like really low quality tools, so therefore I would never buy them (aside from a few goodies they make like the M12V). However, I can recommend the makita set. They are well built, good battery life, and great ergonomics.

Comment

I've had nothing but good luck with my Hitachi tools. I would recommend them to anyone. I have the 18 V hammer drill and flashlight with 3 batteries. I used to use the framing nailers everyday and they are EXCELLENT as well! I bought one myself. NR90AD, i think?! Hitachi is great .

Comment

I have no experience with the Hitachi but they seem to be well regarded and are probably on par with the LXT in most regards. I know it really shouldn't matter but a lot of people can't get past the alien laser blaster look and skip them The LXT are quality tools and I would have no problem recommending them even though I believe there are better models for some of the tools.

Comment

Well, I thought that I had decided to go for the Makita. However, HD was out of stock of the LXT401 kits and won't be getting any more. Too bad. I phoned and found out that 400$ was a clearance price and they're gone. I wish I'd known.

So it's the Hitachi or ??

Comment

They will probably sell the same LXT kit with an impact driver instead of the sawzall. Why not just buy that one? Impact drivers are really useful

Comment

I noticed the starter of this thread is in Canada. We in the USA find that our locations of The Home Depot have different stock. I think what you decide to buy should be based on availability and not just the kit but also accessories and if there's a service center anywhere near you. What about later on if you need replacement batteries and such. What about service? A tool is not doing you any good just sitting when it can't be used because you're having trouble getting parts or service for it.
                Last edited by Woussko; 01-07-2008, 02:43 PM. Reason: spelling errors

Comment

Originally posted by Partime View Post
                  Well, I thought that I had decided to go for the Makita. However, HD was out of stock of the LXT401 kits and won't be getting any more. Too bad. I phoned and found out that 400$ was a clearance price and they're gone. I wish I'd known.

So it's the Hitachi or ??
                  Partime-

If you're stuck on 18V, I'd choose the Milwaukee over the Hitachi. The Milwaukee Lithium combo is well built. Having a meter on the battery is a plus as well.

Comment

I personally own the 18v ridgid 5 piece set and other than them being a little bulky they are the best tools I have ever used. A good friend of mine just bought the same LXT set you are looking at and bought the impactor off ebay for $75. But being men we had to test our tools againist one another. The only thing is lithium set beat my nicad set at was ergonimics and weight. My 18v nicads (the batterys are one year old) beat his brand new lithium set every time. We let the drill run wide open from full charge to dead and mine would out last his by about 10 min. Under load my ridgid not only last long but also had more power. The lxt seem like really nice tools but how can you best the offer for a lifetime warranty? I broke a chuck once, (my fault I dropped the drill) and the repair center not only replaced it for free but also gave me a brand new set of batteries just because they are under warrenty FOREVER. My advice is lxt of hitachi but ridgid over any other brand. Hope this helps u.

Comment

Thanks firefighter. Your test is good to know about. From this web site review of cordless drills I was given a different impression.

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...sectionID=1490

Comment

I was recently talking to a contractor about the Hitachi drills who said that Hitachi used plastic gears and that Makita is the only one who used metal gears.

Anyone know if this is true? I find it unlikely that Ridgid would use plastic gears.

Comment

Originally posted by Partime View Post
                          I was recently talking to a contractor about the Hitachi drills who said that Hitachi used plastic gears and that Makita is the only one who used metal gears.

Anyone know if this is true? I find it unlikely that Ridgid would use plastic gears.
                          I think you will find that Hitachi does use mostly plastic gears. No company uses complete metal gears in order to help cut down on weight. From what I have heard Ridgid uses about a 50-50 mixture of both metal and plastic. Makita and DeWalt and both around 75% metal in their non compact lines.

As far as whitch to buy I have never used Hitachi however I would stay away from them. Also keep in mind that Depot currently has a DeWalt promo running that allows you to get a Free Tool when you purchase a Dewalt kit. You could get their 4 kit for $499 and then I believe the impact driver is one of the tools you can get for free. We have found the Dewalt batteries to last many many more recharges than the Makita and they seem to be much more user friendly.

Comment

Working...
                          X