Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do u use a Portable Band Saw for?

Im sure this must seem like a totaly stupid ??? but I've seen Portable Band Saws on sall at Home Depot...e-bay and other places...just never meet anyone who owns or uses one....In All the HVAC and plumers I know use a Sazall and some times a circular saw....

Sooo its left me confused...heck wakeing up leaves me confused....soo figured I'd ask...

What do u use a Portable Band Saw for? What kind of jobs? What material..ie wood..pipes..re-bar etc? Just to make sure Im explaing it right..the hand held...plug in (guess they make cordless) band saws.

Thaks All.

Re: what do u use a Portable Band Saw for?

I've used them for cutting re-bar and pipe...like a powered
    hack saw. Not a tool you see getting much attention anymore.

Comment

Used one quite a bit when building boat trailers. Its a good tool for cutting long heavy metal, and leaves a nicer edge to weld to than does a cutting torch. For pipes. etc, it puts consistent lateral pressure against the pipe when cutting, so you don't get the vibration that a sawzall gives, and it produces a cleaner edge. Its major limitation is the width/depth of the piece you are cutting.

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

I rented one to cut off the defective end of a crankshaft on a locomotive prime mover. It was one of those "do I really want to do this moments".
        Steve.

Comment

In the metal working industry, we use them quite a bit for repairs to items too big to fit into a regular band saw, it takes about twice as long to cut off a piece of metal then it does to touch it off, but you save over twice that time by not having to do a lot of grinding before re-welding. They are worth their price in this application, although with the hand held plasma touches that are out now, they are not used much anymore.

Hope this helps a little.

Comment

They are also handy in places where you can't use an open flame or plasma arc to cut metal. Yes, the motor brushes do create sparks but there is less risk than torch cutting and you don't need a fire watch.

A Porta-band in my book is better any day of the week for cutting rebar, all-thread rod, unistrut, and metal pipe under 4" than a sawzall. I remember using them back in the early 70s, the ones we had were made by Rockwell and were two speed. Then the variable speed models came out and everyone wanted one as they made it easier to make cuts in the field up in the air, gave you better control of the cut. Can't tell you how many cuts I made on 3 and 4" Sch 160 SS with one of these saws back then.

All-thread: You could grab a hacksaw and cut it one or two at a time or maybe 6 or so with a sawzall but with a portaband you can put the whole bundle in the pipe vise and cut them all in no time.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

They're really good for cutting rigid conduit for electrical. They leave a smother edge so you don't have to debur as much

Comment

Metal sign posts that are already installed. Used all the time by commercial hvac and electricions for cutting anything metal.
                Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                  They are also handy in places where you can't use an open flame or plasma arc to cut metal. Yes, the motor brushes do create sparks but there is less risk than torch cutting and you don't need a fire watch.
                  Thanks Bob D., I was thinking that after I had posted. Dave

Comment

I've used my portable bandsaw to cut old railroad tie to make into anvils.
                    Lots of 8" grinder work there.

Comment

the contractors who put all the slick rail in dry cleaning and laundry plants use portable band saws to remove excess rail stock when railing a store. thats all those pipes hanging from the ceilings that hold horizontal pipes(rails) onto which the clothing is hung.
                      there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Both the Porter Cable porta band and the Milwaukee bandsaws are excellent for cutting the corners on ductwork(to make snipes access easier). Also, S's and drives(used on smaller exaust vents) can be cut in a bundle easier. As far as cutting rebar, the blade will not last as long and an abrasive blade is faster.
                        A Stihl ts400 or Bosch 1365 concrete saw is perfect for rebar.

Comment

Working...
                        X