Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixing Ridgid 12v and 14.4v volt battery's

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mixing Ridgid 12v and 14.4v volt battery's

    I'm confused. I have Ridgid 14.4 impact driver. Just bought a Ridgid 12 volt drill. For some reason the battery for the impact driver is smaller than the one for the 12v drill. Maybe its Lith Ion? I can't tell by looking at it, nothing saying so on the battery. Anyways, even though the battery is smaller, it still fits on the new 12v drill. Would it be bad to use a 14v battery on a 12v drill?

    I just want to get a new drill and have the battery's interchangeable. Do I need to buy a 14.4v or 18v drill instead? If I get a new 18v drill does that mean I can't use that battery on my 14.4v driver?

    ARGGGGHHH.... this is so confusing. Ridgid could make this a little easier to understand.

    TIA,
    Kevin

  • #2
    Re: Mixing Ridgid 12v and 14.4v volt battery's

    Originally posted by kevreh View Post
    I'm confused. I have Ridgid 14.4 impact driver. Just bought a Ridgid 12 volt drill. For some reason the battery for the impact driver is smaller than the one for the 12v drill. Maybe its Lith Ion? I can't tell by looking at it, nothing saying so on the battery. Anyways, even though the battery is smaller, it still fits on the new 12v drill. Would it be bad to use a 14v battery on a 12v drill?

    I just want to get a new drill and have the battery's interchangeable. Do I need to buy a 14.4v or 18v drill instead? If I get a new 18v drill does that mean I can't use that battery on my 14.4v driver?

    ARGGGGHHH.... this is so confusing. Ridgid could make this a little easier to understand.

    TIA,
    Kevin

    Each unit is manufactured to preform it's best at a certain voltage, can damage occur if a higher voltage is applied - yes - will it - I don't know, as you are only talking a 3.6 volt difference between the 14.4 & 18 volt units. Going the other way, putting a 14.4 volt on a 18 volt drill, you will lose power and RPM (it will feel like the battery is going dead), even on a fresh battery.

    The short answer it is not recommended to mix voltages.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Mixing Ridgid 12v and 14.4v volt battery's

      Originally posted by spintyer View Post
      Each unit is manufactured to preform it's best at a certain voltage, can damage occur if a higher voltage is applied - yes - will it - I don't know, as you are only talking a 3.6 volt difference between the 14.4 & 18 volt units. Going the other way, putting a 14.4 volt on a 18 volt drill, you will lose power and RPM (it will feel like the battery is going dead), even on a fresh battery.

      The short answer it is not recommended to mix voltages.
      Unless of course it is officialy sanctioned........as in mixing the 18 volt and 24 volt batts on the same tools that are deemed by Ridgid as OK. I noticed on the 18 volt NiCad set I just purchased that the circ saw is blessed with the 18/24 volt approval while the recip saw is restricted to 18 volts. I always thought they had the same motor. I would probably not worry about using the 24 volt batt on that tool. As a word of warning using the lower voltage battery will cause the motor to draw a higher current rate which causes everything to run hotter.
      I have the 12 volt Right Angle Impact and didn't want to purchase an extra battery for a tool I seldom use. If I am on the job and use up the 12 volt batt I intend to use a 14.4 volt batt with this tool. I have not checked this intention with Ridgid. I think I can guess their response!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Mixing Ridgid 12v and 14.4v volt battery's

        Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
        Unless of course it is officialy sanctioned........as in mixing the 18 volt and 24 volt batts on the same tools that are deemed by Ridgid as OK. I noticed on the 18 volt NiCad set I just purchased that the circ saw is blessed with the 18/24 volt approval while the recip saw is restricted to 18 volts.
        That's why I said the short answer, I didn't want to confuse anyone with the 18/24 volt models, as far as running a 12 volt or 14.4 volt battery on the same tool, I would, as they are probably the same motor specs. I would also guess that if Ridgid really thought you shouldn't do this, they would have changed the mount so they wouldn't fit each other.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Mixing Ridgid 12v and 14.4v volt battery's

          Originally posted by kevreh View Post
          ARGGGGHHH.... this is so confusing. Ridgid could make this a little easier to understand.
          Uhhhhh....okay. How much easier could it be?! I'm pretty sure that they have the voltages listed quite simply on both their tools and their batteries. If the tool is a certain voltage, use that voltage of battery.

          Are you kidding that this is so confusing???

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Mixing Ridgid 12v and 14.4v volt battery's

            Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
            Uhhhhh....okay. How much easier could it be?! I'm pretty sure that they have the voltages listed quite simply on both their tools and their batteries. If the tool is a certain voltage, use that voltage of battery.

            Are you kidding that this is so confusing???
            You are of course exactly correct. In this case(as opposed to so many others) Ridgid is blameless! It is only those of us who want to streeeeeeetch the envelope who create problems and confusion.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Mixing Ridgid 12v and 14.4v volt battery's

              Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
              You are of course exactly correct. In this case(as opposed to so many others) Ridgid is blameless! It is only those of us who want to streeeeeeetch the envelope who create problems and confusion.
              Okay, that said has anyone stretched the envelope and successfully used a 14.4 volt battery in the 12 volt right angle impact? I have this tool and find the power fine but the duration of the battery very poor. I was hoping a higher AH 14.4 might allow it to run longer, but I don't want to damage the tool.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Mixing Ridgid 12v and 14.4v volt battery's

                Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                Okay, that said has anyone stretched the envelope and successfully used a 14.4 volt battery in the 12 volt right angle impact? I have this tool and find the power fine but the duration of the battery very poor. I was hoping a higher AH 14.4 might allow it to run longer, but I don't want to damage the tool.
                Frank.....I stuck a 14.4 batt into mine and drove in a dozen 3" screws and checked the motor housing for heat. I didn't expect any and there was none. I assume that the voltages are so close that one can safely use a 14.4V batt and intend to. I confess that to date I haven't sent an email to Ridgid posing the question, as I can guess their answer. ( The same rationale we used with not asking mom about doing something when we knew what the answer was going to be) I will keep a close eye on motor heat when using it until I feel safe.

                Comment

                Working...
                X