X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Miter Saw

Looking for probably a decent 10". I've got access to a 12" Dewalt dual bevel if I ever needed it, so whatever I end up with won't cost me much over $200 if that.

Looking at the Makita 1040, the 10" Dewalt, and have even kind of looked at the 10" Hitachi's (though I don't know much about their reputation for being any good).

One question for anyone that might know, does the Makita 1040 have an electric blade brake? I can't find where its printed anywhere, though the Dewalt says it right up front.

Also looked a bit into a reconditioned Dewalt or Makita. Cheaper and since I'm not using it to make a living, thought it might be an option if I could verify that this was a safe route to take.

Any replys will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Looking for a Miter Saw

My old boss has a 10" Hitachi slider with laser. This is a very good saw IMO. It has alot of versatility built in, and its a durable tool. We used it together for 3 years, and i know he had it awhile when i met him. I would spend my $ on this saw, if i was in the market for one. Good luck with your purchase.

Comment

Reconditioned power tools generally are gone thru at the factory by service reps. They put tool back together as if it were new with (usually) new tool warranty. If you're not using every day, probably a real good avenue to get top notch equipment at lower prices. Just my 2 cents worth.
      Jim Don
      (PS I use mine daily as a way to make a living and yes, I have bought reconditioned tools and they've never failed me.)

Comment

This is an easy one. Dewalt DW703. It's the best 10" miter saw on the market. If you don't believe me, go read the reviews on amazon (51 reviews, 37 5-star, 12 4-star, 2 3-star). Best part is, the DW713 just came out. Basically the same saw with a different handle. So the 703 should be on clearance soon.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I found a new (not reconditioned) DW705 12" on Ebay and got that for about $245 shipped. I guess this model has been replaced by the 715 now, but I figured the price after shipping (tax if I were to have found one at a store locally) wasn't really bad considering the new equivalents are around 3 bills plus tax or shipping. More than I had intended to spend originally, but I probably won't ever have to buy another one so its a done deal. And I was wanting the 12" over the 10" to begin with, but was having trouble making myself pay for the bigger saw.

Comment

theres also the ridgid double bevel 12 inch for 370 or so..not bad

Comment

Dewalt DW703. I've had one for years. Great 10" miter saw.

Comment

Originally posted by Newman View Post
                Dewalt DW703. I've had one for years. Great 10" miter saw.
                Good maybe but not great, unless you have used all the other brands for years, it would be hard to call it great, you do need a point of reference.

Comment

Sorry but I have used the DeWalt and the Makita is like watching the sun rise on crisp winter morning. The Makita cuts much smoother with greater ease.

Comment

Working...
                  X