X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rust on cast iron

My shop area has some humidity problems and I constantly fight rust on the cast iron of the new 3650 saw as well as other tools. My attempt to cover with a tarp was a step backward. One suggestion was to use some plain charcoal (no lighter) to combat the moisture. What else? WD-40 seems only good for a day or so.

Re: rust on cast iron

I've heard of people "waxing" their table tops to keep the rust off, they say it works good.

Comment

TopCote works for me.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I finally went out to my "garage" the other night and found the top on the TS, table on my DP and the bed of the J/P all rusted, so much for waxing them...going to look into the Topcoat spray BD mentions above...

quick question, I've been using the Minwax paste wax, is that the same as the Johnson wax I've read about on here?
        How much wood could a woodchuck chuck, if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Comment

Originally posted by AngryBeaver View Post
          quick question, I've been using the Minwax paste wax, is that the same as the Johnson wax I've read about on here?
          AB, they're pretty much the same thing.

FWIW, what I do with my iron is apply a coat of the TopCote to the iron surfaces according to the directions on the can. Once I've done that, I then apply two or three coats of Johnson's Paste Wax on top of the TopCote. I like to do that more for the slipperyness the paste wax gives me more so than for rust protection. I rely on the TopCote for the rust prevention. I usually strip off the coatings of TopCote and wax using Mineral Spirits 2 or 3 times a year and reapply. This method has kept my iron rust free for years, YRMV.

Comment

Before applying the wax make sure to apply an actual metal protecting product. Another product to look into that is highly effective is Boeshield T-9. Spray it on and wipe off. A single application can hold rust back for months.

Comment

I've been using the wax for the way the wood slides and I suppose it helps the rusting some. I'll try the Top Coat also.
              I've been also recommended to use Balistol by a friend that says it even works for his rods and reels in salt water.
              Thanks and I look forward to keeping the new equipment rust free.

Comment

Would all these valuable suggestions also applicable to TS with Alumnium top, such as TS2400 ?

Comment

Aluminium shouldn't rust so the rust prevention stuff may not be needed. The paste wax for a slick surface would come into play though.

Comment

Tks for clarifying, Dave.

Comment

I have been very lucky it would seem, even though the humidity here can be over 60% for days at a time and I only heat the shop in the winter when I am in there, I have no rust on my CI tool surfaces and all I have used is Butchers Wax for the past five years.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys...

Comment

I left Chicago after the winter of 1979!!!! Today I live in Glendale Arizona..NO SNOW, NO RUST on my table saw!

By the way, what part of Chicago are you in?

Cactus Man

Comment

Melrose Park, west surburb close to the border, but I did live on the near northwest side in Bucktown before moving here

Comment

Originally posted by Wagon Man View Post
                              Would all these valuable suggestions also applicable to TS with Alumnium top, such as TS2400 ?
                              Aluminum can corrode but it is very slow and you shouldn't have problems with the TS2400 top unless you left it outdoors under the elements for a few years. No protection is really needed other than cleaning it ocassionally. The grainy finish on the top helps wood slide very easily so wax is not necessary. It would also be very difficult to apply wax since its not a smooth slick surface.

Comment

Working...
                              X