Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
14.4 Impact faster than MaxSelect Impact Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 14.4 Impact faster than MaxSelect Impact

    I have had the MaxSelect impact tool for several months and have been very happy with its performance. I have always used the 18V LI batteries with it and have not seen any reason to use the 24V batteries.
    My nephew who I work with recently purchased the 14.4V impact tool. We have been building a set of porch stairs using some pretty wet treated wood. I noticed my 18V gun was rattling pretty hard driving 3 1/2" screws into this stuff. Passed it off as typical wet treated wood screwing. At some point I happened to use my nephews 14.4V gun and was surprised at how much easier and faster it was driving the screws. Later I switched mine to a 24V battery and although the performance improved it was still slower than his 14.4.
    Whats up?....
    Specs-
    1-Torque 1400/14.4V vs 1490/18V+24V....No real advantage there
    2-RPM 2850/14.4V vs 1700/18V and 2100/24V.....Significantly faster for the 14.4V
    3-BPM 2800/14.4V vs 2900/18V and 3300/24V.....Slightly faster hammer rate for the 18 and 24.
    What does it all mean you mechanical engineers out there? Has anyone else experianced this? Is my MaxSlect impact defective or the 14.4V faster?

  • #2
    Re: 14.4 Impact faster than MaxSelect Impact

    Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
    Specs-
    1-Torque 1400/14.4V vs 1490/18V+24V....No real advantage there
    2-RPM 2850/14.4V vs 1700/18V and 2100/24V.....Significantly faster for the 14.4V
    3-BPM 2800/14.4V vs 2900/18V and 3300/24V.....Slightly faster hammer rate for the 18 and 24.
    What does it all mean you mechanical engineers out there? Has anyone else experianced this? Is my MaxSlect impact defective or the 14.4V faster?
    The 14.4 is faster, and according to the specs, the MaxSelect will hammer almost twice per revolution, the 14.4 will hammer once per revolution (at top RPM), this will give you the impression that the MaxSelect is working twice as hard, when it's just working the way it is designed to(work).

    I don't know if this helps any?

    Question, does the 18 or 24 volt battery outlast the 14.4 on the job by a huge margin or not? Taking in the consideration that they should out last the 14.4 volt by reason of voltage alone, and I am referring to the impact drivers, as the 18 - 24 volt turn slower, and hammer more, this should help extend the battery life. But I don't know !!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: 14.4 Impact faster than MaxSelect Impact

      Originally posted by spintyer View Post
      The 14.4 is faster, and according to the specs, the MaxSelect will hammer almost twice per revolution, the 14.4 will hammer once per revolution (at top RPM), this will give you the impression that the MaxSelect is working twice as hard, when it's just working the way it is designed to(work).

      I don't know if this helps any?

      Question, does the 18 or 24 volt battery outlast the 14.4 on the job by a huge margin or not? Taking in the consideration that they should out last the 14.4 volt by reason of voltage alone, and I am referring to the impact drivers, as the 18 - 24 volt turn slower, and hammer more, this should help extend the battery life. But I don't know !!!
      this will give you the impression that the MaxSelect is working twice as hard, when it's just working the way it is designed to(work)............The 14.4 draws the screw in much faster while the MaxSelect is making alot of noise rattling away and taking much longer to pull the screw in. What I don't understand is with the obvious additional power of the higher 18 and 24 volt to pull the motor why would Ridgid design the tool as if it had less power available. Guess I need to ask Ridgid.
      The type of job we were on driving screws into stairs as we were constructing them is not straight line screw driving like building a deck. A single battery would last all day therefor it was impossible to compare battery usage rate. It would be difficult to compare in any case because the 14.4 used a MaxHD 2.5AH, the 18 used the 1.5AH LI and the 24 used the 3AH LI.
      Thanks for the help...Ray

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: 14.4 Impact faster than MaxSelect Impact

        I know I wasn't much help to you Ray. What you could try, and I know I would like to know too, is driving a big old lag bolt into a piece of scrap hardwood, with both of the impacts, and see which is faster, as if one can do it, they both should be able to, according to the specs.

        Let me know please, Dave

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: 14.4 Impact faster than MaxSelect Impact

          the only thing better than one 14.4 volt impact driver is two 14.4 volt impact drivers. I don't know why, but it drives better than the 18v impact driver that's in the 5pc combo kit.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: 14.4 Impact faster than MaxSelect Impact

            I used to have the standard 18 volt impact. I got rid of it after I got the MaxSelect impact - the LED light just made my day. I got rid of the 18, even after realizing, and testing myself, that the specs were better, and the drill was overall a fair bit quieter. I have a buddy who has the 14volt, and I noticed the same with his. The MaxSelect definitely seems to be more of a noisy goat, and seems to almost rattle and strain more when doing the work. Also, the trade-off in the smoother operation is the 2 added conveniences - the LED light, and the compatibility with both 18 and 24 volt batteries.

            And if it isn't broke...

            Ah well - that's what a warranty is for.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: 14.4 Impact faster than MaxSelect Impact

              Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
              I used to have the standard 18 volt impact. I got rid of it after I got the MaxSelect impact - the LED light just made my day. I got rid of the 18, even after realizing, and testing myself, that the specs were better, and the drill was overall a fair bit quieter. I have a buddy who has the 14volt, and I noticed the same with his. The MaxSelect definitely seems to be more of a noisy goat, and seems to almost rattle and strain more when doing the work. Also, the trade-off in the smoother operation is the 2 added conveniences - the LED light, and the compatibility with both 18 and 24 volt batteries.

              And if it isn't broke...

              Ah well - that's what a warranty is for.
              warranty?.....For that matter I could take it back to HD and exchange it for a new one. Problem is, I don't believe anything is mechanicaly wrong with it. I believe the answer lies in the 2850rpm speed of the 14.4 vs the 1700rpm speed of the 18V MaxSelect. That is a huge 1150rpm greater screw turning rate. The screw is simply being turned at a much faster rate with the 14.4 than the 18v MaxSelect. It is the design.
              The question I posed to Ridgid in an email was why the radical difference in design? Their response was "they do not divulge to customers why they design the way they do".
              So there it is........

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: 14.4 Impact faster than MaxSelect Impact

                For those with the 14.4 impact, have you been satisfied with it? Figured I would ask the question, my local HD has them for $79. For the price I figured I am nuts to not pick one up.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: 14.4 Impact faster than MaxSelect Impact

                  I have a question???

                  Why do you use a tool with 1400+ inch pounds of torque for a job that requires less then 200 inch pounds of torque???

                  If I remember right, the 9.6 volt screw driver has about 100 inch pounds of torque, and can drive in at least 3" screws, and probably 3-1/2" screws with no problem. After checking the specs on the drill\drivers, I found out that 14.4 volt impact driver has about the highest rpm in the Ridgid line up, you would think you would want more rpm in a drill, not an impact, I guess I don't understand this now either.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: 14.4 Impact faster than MaxSelect Impact

                    Originally posted by srgallan View Post
                    For those with the 14.4 impact, have you been satisfied with it? Figured I would ask the question, my local HD has them for $79. For the price I figured I am nuts to not pick one up.
                    We use both the 14.4 and the MaxSelect as contractors and work them hard every day. The 14.4 is a much more capable tool. I would jump on that deal for $79. Is it just the impact tool or does it include batts and a charger?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: 14.4 Impact faster than MaxSelect Impact

                      Originally posted by spintyer View Post
                      I have a question???

                      Why do you use a tool with 1400+ inch pounds of torque for a job that requires less then 200 inch pounds of torque???

                      If I remember right, the 9.6 volt screw driver has about 100 inch pounds of torque, and can drive in at least 3" screws, and probably 3-1/2" screws with no problem. After checking the specs on the drill\drivers, I found out that 14.4 volt impact driver has about the highest rpm in the Ridgid line up, you would think you would want more rpm in a drill, not an impact, I guess I don't understand this now either.
                      It's a function of speed and endurance. We have a little 3.7V LI drill that will drive a 3" screw, however it is very slow and would require a battery change every few minutes. With the impacts 3-4 inch screws are driven into wet treated wood in seconds and in large numbers before battery replacement.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: 14.4 Impact faster than MaxSelect Impact

                        Originally posted by spintyer View Post
                        I have a question???

                        Why do you use a tool with 1400+ inch pounds of torque for a job that requires less then 200 inch pounds of torque???

                        If I remember right, the 9.6 volt screw driver has about 100 inch pounds of torque, and can drive in at least 3" screws, and probably 3-1/2" screws with no problem. After checking the specs on the drill\drivers, I found out that 14.4 volt impact driver has about the highest rpm in the Ridgid line up, you would think you would want more rpm in a drill, not an impact, I guess I don't understand this now either.
                        I second what Roadrashray said.

                        With the 9.6 volt you mention, you can maybe drive in 50 to 75 of those screws (for example) before a charge is needed. With the impact, you can put in 300 to 400 of those same screws, and with it only taking about 1/2 to 1/4 of the time to put each screw in.

                        Obviously the 9.6 has the advantage that you don't have to worry about stripping or breaking off the screwheads once they're seated, which is something to watch out for with an impact. But it's not hard to get handy at and used to, with a little practice.

                        More power, baby.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: 14.4 Impact faster than MaxSelect Impact

                          Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                          We use both the 14.4 and the MaxSelect as contractors and work them hard every day. The 14.4 is a much more capable tool. I would jump on that deal for $79. Is it just the impact tool or does it include batts and a charger?
                          I picked up the 14.4 at HD today (Toronto, Canada) for $79.00, including the battery and charger.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: 14.4 Impact faster than MaxSelect Impact

                            There is a mountain of these 14.4 volt impact kits at a local HD near me in Southwestern Ontario, for $79 (incl. battery and charger). Great deal.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X