Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Random Orbital Sanders: Rigid versus Bosch

Hi there,

I am looking to purchase a random orbital sander...ideally I am looking for something that is made in Germany and I have found the 6 inch Rigid model (made by Metabo in Germany?) and the Bosch 1295DVSH. I believe the Bosch has a superior dust collection system, other than that can anyone who has owned either or both of these orbital sanders please offer their humble opinion as to their pros and cons.

Also, given that almost everything these days is "made in China" I am interested in those power tools that are of a domestic, European or other county of manufacture.

Thanks

Re: Random Orbital Sanders: Rigid versus Bosch

Ridgid sanders are no longer made in Germany and are now made in China. If you've found one that was made in Germany it's an older model. Those sanders received very favorable reviews but not as high as the Bosch's.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Get used to tools being made in other countries, especially China. We live in a global economy and you really can't stick to buying from one country. Many tools may be "made" in one place and assembled in another. You never really know where they come from.

Comment

I don't own either but read a recent review that gave top rating to the Bosch. FWIW, my new PC343k has been a nice improvement over my Ryobi RS200.

Comment

I have the Chinese made R2611 and it is a great sander. It was cheap (comparatively) and it was available. I have never used the Bosch but I'll probably try it if the Ridgid ever breaks. I actually considered the Bosch first but the Ridgid was an impulse buy.

Of the five Bosch tools I own, thre are made in Asia, one is made in Switzerland (the pocket driver) and one is "assembled in USA" from parts unknown. Bosch no longer means German made for sure.

If you want a Metabo, buy a Metabo. No, I'm not being facetious. I just could never understand the whole "It's a Ridgid but it's a Metabo!" mentality.

But for the ultimate in "I don't buy Chinese", try one of these. It'll be the last sander you buy; quite frankly because you will be broke.

Made in China is not so bad. I went to Hong Kong for vacation once and forgot to buy souvenirs for friends. A quick trip to Wal-Mart solved the problem, and duty-free at that

Comment

i really think that ridgid needs to make a 18v cordless sander either 1/4 sheet or random orbital if not both...ryobi makes them why cant ridgid...

thats just my 2 cents...

Comment

I've got the Ridgid 1/4" sheet sander. Picked it up rather than the 5 or 6 inch orbital ones. I like it because it's smaller, gets into nooks and cranies well, and is nice and easy to control. Nice little unit, performs well. Yes, made in China, but what isn't anymore? In all honestly, if I have the option of buying between certain competitors, and some are made in China, Hong Kong, or Mexico, I buy depending on what works for me, reputation, my experiences with each particular brand, and the warranty. And Ridgid's LLSA is top dog for me with that when it comes to many power tools. I think that my only deviation at this point would be when I eventually buy myself a compound mitre saw and/or a table saw - I would go Bosch for both of those.

And yes, I too, along with many others, are also waiting for Ridgid to release more of the MaxSelect tools, and a cordless sander would be sweet, even just a little mouse sander or something.

Comment

I have four orbital sanders, including both the Ridgid 1/4-sheet and the 5" ROS, the Ryobi 5" ROS, and the Ryobi "Corner Cat". All are made in China and all have worked extremely well for more than four years now.

So while I'm not using them everyday, I do use them quite a bit and somewhat more than average I think, with two houses and multiple projects. (I know I'm a lot more worn out than any of these tools! )

Buy what you feel you must, but understand it's a global economy and no matter what it gets labeled, you'll most likely find "made in China" components part of the mix. One might note that Metabo, is in fact Metabo International and their "procurement" is very much global. Also interesting is that their site fails to mention exactly where their manufacturing takes place, even though their primary offices are in Germany.

CWS
                Last edited by CWSmith; 01-13-2008, 07:24 PM.

Comment

don't even think of chosing the Ridgid! It's terrible

Comment

Working...
                  X