Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone talk me out of the DP1550?

Howdy all -

I'm getting ready to buy a floor drill press, and I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Ridgid 15". I like the capacity, and the fact that I can change it to left-handed, and the orange. I did pretty much buy my 10" miter saw because it was orange, and I'm not impressed, but all of my other Ridgid tools are awesome.
    For $300 or less, is there a better press out there for me? I'm an occasional-woodworker, often-DIY'er, but I foresee a time in the near future when I can do both a lot more. I don't mind paying for quality - so even though I just need it for this one project, I'm investing in future projects.

Thanks!

Re: Can anyone talk me out of the DP1550?

I've used mine 3 times and I'm ready to cut it into pieces with my chop saw and plazma cutter!

There is mad crazy run out on the chuck and I can't get it off to save my life!

Even if I bought a new chuck, it would be useless at the moment!

I'm seriously about to go BALLISTIC on this thing!

Comment

Originally posted by INSANITY View Post
      I've used mine 3 times and I'm ready to cut it into pieces with my chop saw and plazma cutter!

There is mad crazy run out on the chuck and I can't get it off to save my life!

Even if I bought a new chuck, it would be useless at the moment!

I'm seriously about to go BALLISTIC on this thing!
      If you've had it for less than 90 days why not just take it back for an exchange or refund? If you've had it for more than 90 days then you'll have to take it to a Ridgid Service Center to correct the problem.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I've had my DP1550 for a few years now, and it gets pretty much weekly use in various projects. I've never had a problem with it. I could wish that speed changes were a little easier, but for the price...it's pretty awesome. It doesn't have some of the features you'll see in the newer, higher-priced models, which is ok. For the occasional DIY-er it's a great tool, IMHO. You can get a Mortise attachment from anywhere, and I'd suggest anyone except Ridgid's. The fence on the Ridgid mortiser is a PITA!
        I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

What kind of drill bit would I use to drill plexiglass? I need to put some 1.5" or 2" holes in plexiglass - I know about going very slowly, and it seems to me that a hole saw would leave the cleanest hole...but on NYW I saw Norm drilling the same holes in plexiglass, and he was using a FORSTNER bit!

Comment

Not sure a hole saw would be the best option.....seems to me it would be a little too "violent" for going thru plexi, might cause it to crack regardless of how slow you can go.

Forstener sounds like it might work better because it would be more akin to "shaving" the hole thru the plexiglass, especially if you run the bit slow and feed it slow.

Id say try a step bit but Im not sure a 1.5 to 2" step bit is an economical choice. Maybe a 3/4" forstener and then a 1.5"?

Comment

I, too, have been looking at the DP1550 for a month or two. Has anyone else found a lot of trouble with the runout? What is the amount?

What is the cheapest price we;ve seen on it? I've seen $280.

Comment

Well my "price" was probably a bit unusual. I've found my best bargains come when Home Depot is closing out certain products.

So, when they introduced the new "Orange" tools in 2003, I got my "gray" DP1550 because they were clearing the old inventory. Don't recall what the mark-down was, but there's no difference between the new and old DP1550, except for the color. That was also the year that Home Depot gave a 20% discount on power tools, so they loaded it into the back of the van for a total cost of $199.20, tax included.

I was happy, and I've been fairly successful in following that example with most of my power tool purchases.

CWS

Comment

I would strongly consider this one

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...rd=drill+press

It's made by orion... they make good stuff

Comment

To anyone going wild trying to remove the chuck, please click the following link and read everything carefully. The chuck is NOT threaded. Is it a taper mount so you need to do the lower part and not the upper part of the removal steps.
                    http://www.jacobschuck.com/drill-chuck-install.asp

To everyone: Before you assemble a taper mount chuck to a spindle or an adapter arbor, please clean all mating surfaces very well and wipe dry with a clean paper towel. A little spec of dirt or some grease and there will be wobble/runout problems.

Comment

Originally posted by l_bilyk View Post

I have the 17" version of this DP, and can vouch its a very good product. Its not quite exactly the same as the other company Orion builds it for (Steel City), but its close enough.

Got it for a song when Sears had a massive price mistake on it (529 normally, supposed to be on sale for 479 but actually got put up "on sale" at 179!!!)

-Chris

Comment

As far as finding some one to talk you out of it,

have you tried discussing this purchase with your WIFE?

I have found that Wives are very effective at the attempt to talk one out of most any thing.
                        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                        attributed to Samuel Johnson
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                          As far as finding some one to talk you out of it,

have you tried discussing this purchase with your WIFE?

I have found that Wives are very effective at the attempt to talk one out of most any thing.
                          hehehe good one. My take on that is "easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission".

Comment

Purchased the Ridgid DP1550 last week. Very easy to assemble. Impressed with the value for the dollar. Due to the runout others had experienced I was hesitant to make the purchase. After careful installation of the chuck I measured less than .003 runout. I was relieved and thrilled. Had tried to purchase the Craftsman 15" DP on Sears website. When I ordered, it was said to be in stock. Waited 4 days without hearing any confirmation back and called their 800 service number to ask "wassup?" I was told it would be out of stock 2 months, maybe longer. No explanation for the lack of communication as they promise to let you know delivery date within 24 hours of ordering. I cancelled the order. In the future will only buy anything Craftsman, in-store only. Note; the DP was available on line only.
                            Thanks again for the great forum!

Comment

Originally posted by l_bilyk View Post

I agree. About 4" quill travel, decent table, quill lock, rod type depth adjustment (I prefer). But, can not get it. Sears has none in stock anywhere, it can not be ordered at a store, must be ordered on-line, and must be delivered to your residence for a $65 delivery charge. No one at Sears (I called EVERYONE), can say when it will be available, if ever, with the tone being that it will never arrive, and may not even be made anymore. 10 people were already waiting on their orders from a long time ago, with no delivery date in sight. Too bad, I really liked the one on display. Considering Delta 17-950L or Ridgid DP1550.

- Phil
                              Last edited by Phil3; 03-29-2008, 02:50 AM. Reason: Grammar.

Comment

Working...
                              X