X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miter saw

im looking for a new miter saw and im looking at the 12in sliding dewalt dw718 the 12in sliding ridgid ls1290 the 10in sliding bosch 4410 and the the ridgid dbl bevel 12in r4121 anybody gon one of these? what do you think of them?

Re: Ok, I'll bite..

There has been a lot of discussion here about the Ridgid saw. Many will recommend that you don't buy it. I have the MS1290LZA, and I really like it, but I have very little experience.
    Do a search on some of these terms and you'll find all kinds of opinions.

Comment

Re: miter saw

thanks

Comment

I have the mS1290LZA and the MS1250LZ. Both are GREAT saws. The have VERY large tables th support wide stock to 2x12 with out tipping. As well, unlike the DeWalt and some others where there are large 'V' notches to either side of the bed, small bits of wood get caught in there and small stock like trim has a tendency to get caught in there.

OK, so, the ONLY problem I have with my saws is with the 1290LZA (The Slider).
        The throat plate is a two piece adjustable unit. You can loosen it and close up the gap next to the blade for Zero-clearance cuts. It is rather flimsy and mine has cracked near the outer edge of the table. I am not much for open thorat plates, as when you trim or square ends of material, everything ends u in the throat. I have actually had some guys get hit with material that was ejected rather forecefully when the waste built up enough in there to catch the blade. Needless to say, my guys keep the throat clear of debris now. To solve this issue, I made my own Zero-clearance insert much the same as you would use on a table saw. It took a couple of tries to get it right, But, I have a very SAFE insert now, made of hardwood and I can make more easily, as I have kept the first one as a pattern.

Other than that, very rugged and dependable saws. Best on the market, In MY Humble Opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by J-man12 View Post
          im looking for a new miter saw and im looking at the 12in sliding dewalt dw718 the 12in sliding ridgid ls1290 the 10in sliding bosch 4410 and the the ridgid dbl bevel 12in r4121 anybody gon one of these? what do you think of them?
          I would STRONGLY suggest going with the Dewalt DW718. DeWalt has been the industry leader in this category for the last decade or more and has came out with some great products. The 718 has a 14" cross cut capacity out of the box and you that can be increased up to 16".

We had a Ridgid and had a problem with the miter gauge. It was not made of the best material and we had a problem with it cracking and splitting in a few areas over time which made getting accurate cuts harder. The DeWalt is stainless steel and holds up much better. We also like that the DeWalt is much lighter and easier to move around than the Ridgid.

Comment

wood magazine, issue 178, september 2007, page 86. tested 12"miter saws. top tool, bosch 3912. best value, ryobi ts1552dxl.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I have the MS1290 sliding saw, and have been very happy with it, bought it with the Ridgid MSV stand and I think it's a great combo. I have found no problems with the saw, there are a lot of posts that run down this saw, but if you check they are referring to the MS1290LZ not the MS1290LZ1 or the MS1290LZA. As Ridgid changed the saw to address crooked cutting when using the slider, and from what I have experienced with my saw is it is cutting straight. And from the recent posts it seems like everybody that does own one agrees with that.
              I would recommend this saw first, it does what it is suppose to (most miter saws do), and in five or ten years down the road, if you have a need for repairs, it's covered under the lsa (as long as you register it), none of the other saws are.

Comment

Working...
              X