X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power tool experts, got a question

I need a electric hammer drill. Right now I have it settled on Bosch even though I am not brand loyal, well maybe slightly to Makita.

I am looking at this modelhttp://www.tylertool.com/bosch34.html. The question I have is, does the SDS plus system a Bosch only system? I thought the hammer only option was great and I could really use that chipping around drain and water lines.

Lets hear your opinion on this drill and if you have another recommendation I would like to hear it.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: Power tool experts, got a question

I have the 11224vsr older model bosch rotary hammer. I love the chipping feature. The extreme version 11255vsr you are looking at has more power and hits harder. Other small rotary hammers use the SDS plus system. Once you get above a 1 1/8" rotary you have a choice between spline and SDS max.
    You can never have enough drills-too many is just enough!!!!!

Comment

I have the "d handle" model of that one, good unit, no complaints. I have done a lot of chipping with it and that works well too.

Comment

Tyman

Please tell more about what you need the tool to do for you and are you going to really work it hard or just now and then.

Comment

Since I am a plumber, I might be using it in rough conditions not recommended by any manufacture. It will be ran one to two times a week for 10 min.-2 hours each time, depending on the task. I treat my tools very well and expect the same.

The following is what I would use it for:
          Busting concrete around copper water lines to repair them.
          Busting concrete around drain lines to repair them.
          Securing anchors to concrete walls (Pipe strap & pipe clamps)
          Drilling holes in concrete for new installs. (restroom stall dividers, wall mount sink.)
          Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

Ok, so what you want is actually a rotary hammer, not a hammer drill. More or less the same purpose but not quite the same tool The first thing is you'll very likely want an L-Handle type. The pistol grip models are horribly unconfortable for chipping. They are better suited to drilling smaller holes only. A D-Handle or L-Handle place the grip directly in line with the chuck and will allow far more control and very drastically reduce fatigue. Only problem with the D-handles is they are very uncomfortable in tight spots, particularly with long chisels. How much power do you think you'll need? An SDS+ hammer will drill holes up to about 1" and will do a fine job at light chipping or "surgical" chipping when you need to break very carefully around a piping and such. If you need heavier demo capability and holes larger than 1" you'll have to go SDS Max or spline drive at the expense of much heavier weight and larger size. For SDS+ I've had great experience with the Dewalt models which have proved incredibly reliable and pack some of the most punch in their class. I have both their D-Handle and L-Handle models which many times are run for over 4 hours a day several days in a row and they keep going. The Bosch models are also very high quality as are Makita's. Pretty much all of the high end models are rated for continuos all day duty and should easily handle even the worst abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post

The following is what I would use it for:
              Busting concrete around copper water lines to repair them.
              Busting concrete around drain lines to repair them.
              Securing anchors to concrete walls (Pipe strap & pipe clamps)
              Drilling holes in concrete for new installs. (restroom stall dividers, wall mount sink.)
              You'll definately want and L-Handle SDS+ hammer for that work.

Comment

Working...
              X