X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14" 3/4 h.p. bandsaw

Has anyone have one of these bandsaw's and how is it . Is 3/4 h.p. enough or should I go with a 1h.p.

Thanks
    Uno

Re: 14" 3/4 h.p. bandsaw

made by RIDGID also

Comment

Originally posted by Uno View Post
      Has anyone have one of these bandsaw's and how is it . Is 3/4 h.p. enough or should I go with a 1h.p.

Thanks
      Uno
      It depends on what you want to do with the bandsaw. If all you plan on doing is working with relatively thin stock than a ¾HP BS will do that. If on the other hand resawing is in your future than a 1HP would be better but a 1½HP would even be better and more desirable.

IMO, you would be better off looking at other brands of bandsaws than Ridgid. Don't take my word for it though. Do a Search on the Ridgid bandsaw and read for yourself.
      Last edited by BadgerDave; 01-20-2008, 01:30 PM.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I would go with a 1 hp, you won't regret it.

Comment

Uno,

I was going to buy a Ridgid bandsaw a few months ago. I have a number on Ridgid power tools and they all work great. And the lifetime warranty makes it a good deal. BUT, I did a lot of research on this here computer thingy and discovered that there were many complaints about the Ridgid BS, especially in the area of vibration. Folks liked the other Ridgid tools but the BS was the exception. So after looking at a number of other BS's I finally selected the Grizzly G513X as they were discontinuing this model and the price wasn't that much over the other ones I was considering. My second choice was going to be the Powermatic 14".

Also look at the accessories you will be getting (or not getting) with the BS. Sometimes spending the extra money up front will get you the accessories you will be buying anyway and you will get more power.

As far as power, I would go with a minimum of 1 hp. Power is cheap and if you don't have enough it can make woodworking not very fun. You might think that you will only do light cutting but we all know how that goes.

FWIW

Comment

You might want to check out this recent review of the current crop of 14" bandsaws. They are a notch above the RIDGID, Delta, and similar models in price, capabilities, power, and features.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/up...AND%20SAWS.pdf
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
            X