X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench Saw motor

My sons were ripping 2x10's and evidently burnered the motor. The saw is about 8 years old. The sticker with the saw info has unglued from the frame so i don't know how to get a model # . How would I get this serviced?

Re: Bench Saw motor

WHat kind of motor is it?

Comment

Check first to see if there is a reset switch. I had an old craftsman that had the reset button, but the button would not reset. (I had to physically take it apart and pop the heat sensitive reset washer back). Ended up replacing it with an inline automotive type fuse. You can bypass the reset for an ops check to see if it or the motor is the problem. Also, if the saw was plugged into a GFCI circuit, make sure that did not pop.

Go
      Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Try and get the information off the tag on the motor, this is all you need to either get the motor fixed or replaced.

Comment

IF you are talking about one of the $99.00 or less (table top) saws, save your money and time and just replace to whole saw.

If not, give us the Manufacturer and model number of the motor and someone will steer you right.

rEgards,

Comment

I have looked all over this saw to find any numbers or info pertaining to Model or ser # , there is nothing. The tag on the rear which has all this info, which was glued on the frame is long gone. I paid about $350 for the saw, plus about $100 for the accessory stand w/ wheels which it mounts to, from Home Depot. The next year, they included the stand w/ the saw, and it was a different color. The motor has no identifying #'s either. Maybe these pic's will help. Thanks.

Comment

GeoB try here
              Cheers! - Jim
              -------------
              All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

That appears to be a model 2400LS. I did a quick check and the motor from Ridgid Parts will cost around $340.00 . My advice would be to use this as an excuse to purchase a new saw.

Regards,

Comment

thanks biscuit, good advice. But seeing as the replacemt motor is the same price as I paid for the saw, it's pretty obvious that Ridgid's concern is not with the customer's long term satisfaction. Why would I buy a more expensive Ridgid tool from a company that rips you on replacement parts. I don't consider a $400 tool a throw away item. That's just plain old greed! I'm quitting this #1 team. It makes better $ence to buy the cheap throw away import. Thanks again for your help.

Comment

I too found it odd that the replacement motor cost that much, but that is pretty normal for a direct drive saw from any manufacturer.

On the other hand, if you replace it with a belt driven saw, the motors are cheap and can be purchased from just about anywhere.

Please dont knock ridgid down for this, you will find the same with other brands with their direct drive saws.

REgards,

Comment

So true about parts costing too much. A friend took in his older Milwaukee Sawzall for repair, only to be told it would be cheaper to buy a newer model that had been factory fully reconditioned than to have his repaired. Most of their factory reconditioned tools are actually brand new tools that were either store display or got dinged up a bit and thus didn't pass as brand new. I would recommend looking at a new table saw. You could make up a piece of 3/4 plywood for the stand and adopt it to another similar brand-model of job site table saw if you need a portable. If you mostly want a stationary model then by all means look into a contractor style with a belt drive and a slower speed and long life induction motor. They don't scream so loud when running as do the high speed gear drive models. You'll enjoy a larger table, rip fence and better miter guide. 8 years out of a portable job site saw isn't bad.
                      Last edited by Woussko; 01-23-2008, 01:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GeoB View Post
                        thanks biscuit, good advice. But seeing as the replacemt motor is the same price as I paid for the saw, it's pretty obvious that Ridgid's concern is not with the customer's long term satisfaction. Why would I buy a more expensive Ridgid tool from a company that rips you on replacement parts. I don't consider a $400 tool a throw away item. That's just plain old greed! I'm quitting this #1 team. It makes better $ence to buy the cheap throw away import. Thanks again for your help.

You might price out what it costs to rebuild the existing motor. If it's cost prohibitive, you might sell parts off the saw to offset the replacement cost....fence, miter gauge, blade guards, wings, handwheels, wings, etc. all have some resale value....good project for your boys!

Comment

Thats very common for a single purpose motor.Years ago a friends shopsmith motor burnt out.It was cheaper to buy a used shopsmith then to replace.He started out as a motor winder/repairman tho so he hand rewound it.
                          Always best if possible to buy tools with normal easily replaced motors if possible.I still have stored away Dads old delta tilt tablesaw that I know went thru atleast 4 motors..of course he always had an eye out for used motors at garage sales so it never had a new motor
                          Sam

Comment

have you checked the brushes in the motor to see if they are still any good? they only cost a few bucks(under $10) most of the time
                            9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

Working...
                            X