Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, Need Advice on 24Volt Lith-Ion 3PC Kit

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R931-24V-XLi-Combo-Kit
    My wife is picking me up this kit tonight as it is the last on in town till, Well who knows...Can't seem to get a straight answer from HD on when they are getting any other 24,18 Volt Lith-Ion kits. And I am being told that they can't order me a kit, Even though online at 'The home Depot.com' it is in stock I am just starting my Apprenticeship with a great company with tons of work. So I really have no Idea of the limits of Ruggedness of work I will be doing. From Finishing to Layout in Concrete Slabs, Walls I want to be prepared. Nothing like not having the right tools for the job. But in this case, Is this drill Overkill. I have heard that these Lith-Ion Batts are very light. But a 24Volt, That still has to be heavy, Not to mention Very Boxy.
    I have been reading this forum about this Discontinued 4pc 24Volt Lith-Ion Kit. And I am starting to think I maybe shouldn't have pulled the trigger so quick. I just can't afford to not have a good drill for my upcoming Work, Very busy.
    Now I am planning to use this for Electrical work, Might even get a 18Volt Lith-Ion Batt to use on the 24Volt drill to save some weight, If it is too heavy for light jobs. Am I Overdoing it?
    I originally wanted the 18Volt Lith-Ion 4Pc Combo kit, But being that it is a promotional item, I can't seem to find it in stock! And the Drill by itself, The R8411503 Hammer/Drill is something around $230-240 Can Where I live. So why not put a bit more cash in the pot to get a very powerful Recip Saw And Light. Too Bad there is no Other 18 Volt Lith-Ion kit to be bought. And I need a Drill ASAP, So I figured I can't go wrong with the 24 Volt 3 Pc kit. BTW, It is $499 Can for the 3 PC kit. I am thinking this drill will be a bit of a pig for lighter tasks in the Electrician's field.
    I guess I need some Feed back from People who have th e24 Volt Lith-Ion Hammer/Drill to tell me what they think of it. And would putting a 18Volt Lith-Ion on for lighter tasks help with weight that much? I realize I won't get the full Power using only a 18Volt on a 24 volt Drill, But When I need that Extra power I can always reach for the 24 Volt Batt
    Can someone help me out with some advice on what to do.
    Thanx for hearing me out. Could really use whatever help is available ASAP. I don't have to open up my Kit, just Yet. Just need to know What option are available to me. But I really am not going with any other Brand, As I really want the LSA, Can't beat that.

Re: Help, Need Advice on 24Volt Lith-Ion 3PC Kit

Hold on, why spend so much money for a kit that is really just a hammerdrill and recipro saw? You could probalby dig up a 18 volt nicad kit with those tools and the impact gun(very handy tool) and the circular saw for less money. Strength of the hammerdrill and recipro saw are just about the same and you could buy a couple of those 3.0AH 18 volt lithiums to upgrade the kit there by having two nicad and two lithium batteries. A quick fix for a lighter duty drill would either be the Ridgid compact or the Ryobi lithium in my opinion. I didn't know the 18 volt battery would fit in the 24 volt tool? Ask around the 18 volt Ridgid hammerdrill is very capable.

Comment

You would find that the 18 volt Ridgid tools is all you really need for your kind of work, but the 24 volt tools do have more power and run time. I think you would be better off buying an 18 volt kit (if you can find one) that includes the hammer drill, impact gun, and recp saw (and light of coarse), and then when the Lithium-ion 3ah batteries come out grab a couple of them, they are lighter, and better run time (I think a little).

Comment

I have the 3pc 24v kit and love it, but $499 is alot to pay. I'm with everyone else. Buy the 18v set, and then get the either the new 18v 3.0ah batteries or you could get the compact drill which comes with two lithium batteries.

Comment

You're guys killin me! So, basically you are saying that the 18 Volt Nic-Cad Set is basically the same drill as the 18 Volt Lith-Ion, The only diff is the Drill? The Salesman was telling me about it, But I Dismissed him because I wanted the Lith-Ion set. The 18 Volt Lith-Ion Batts are around $100 Bucks, So Adding a Batt to the kit would work out to the same cost as the 24 Volt kit.
          Nobody agrees that I could just as easily just buy an extra 18Volt Lith-Ion or Ni-Cad Batt to get the same results as buying the 18 Volt Nic-ad Kit and buying a 18 Volt Lith-Ion Batts
          Seems both options are almost the same. Except the way I could do it since I already have the 24 Volt kit would allow me the extra power for bigger jobs is already there.
          Does anyone know the differences (no matter how subtle) the 24 Lith-Ion drill compared to the 18 Volt Lith-Ion, Ni-cad Hammer drills are? Are they all very close in spec size and weight (Drill W/O Batt)?
          18 Volt Cordless Hammer Drill
          lhttp://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=930986&Ntt=930986&catalo gId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+ matchall&recN=113334%204294966966&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNu mber
          24 Volt Cordless Hammer Drill
          http://www.ridgid.com/PowerToolsCatalog/index.html
          or
          Those are the closest specs I could find. Any body have better links?!

Comment

Originally posted by bushwickbill View Post
            You're guys killin me! So, basically you are saying that the 18 Volt Nic-Cad Set is basically the same drill as the 18 Volt Lith-Ion, The only diff is the Drill? The Salesman was telling me about it, But I Dismissed him because I wanted the Lith-Ion set. The 18 Volt Lith-Ion Batts are around $100 Bucks, So Adding a Batt to the kit would work out to the same cost as the 24 Volt kit.
            Nobody agrees that I could just as easily just buy an extra 18Volt Lith-Ion or Ni-Cad Batt to get the same results as buying the 18 Volt Nic-ad Kit and buying a 18 Volt Lith-Ion Batts
            Seems both options are almost the same. Except the way I could do it since I already have the 24 Volt kit would allow me the extra power for bigger jobs is already there.
            Does anyone know the differences (no matter how subtle) the 24 Lith-Ion drill compared to the 18 Volt Lith-Ion, Ni-cad Hammer drills are? Are they all very close in spec size and weight (Drill W/O Batt)?
            18 Volt Cordless Hammer Drill
            lhttp://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=930986&Ntt=930986&catalo gId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+ matchall&recN=113334%204294966966&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNu mber
            24 Volt Cordless Hammer Drill
            http://www.ridgid.com/PowerToolsCatalog/index.html
            or
            Those are the closest specs I could find. Any body have better links?!
            In a word, NO. The hammerdirll in the five piece 18 volt nicad set is basically the same as the 24 volt drill in the lithium ion kit, same thing for the reciprocating saws. Only with the 18 volt nicad set you also get a great impact gun and a circular saw! This 18 volt lithium ion drill is a lightweight boxer compared to a heavy weight in the 18 volt nicad hammerdrill! If you go the route we are suggesting you don't buy the compact 18 volt lithium batteries, you wait and buy the higher amp hour 3.0AH 18 volt lithium batteries that are just getting to the stores. Difference here is that you are in no great hurry because you already have two decent 18 volt nicad batteries and can hold off buying the stronger longer lasting newer lithiums until you see exactly what's offered. Your way you get a hammerdrill and a recipro saw with two big lithium batteries, our way you get four strong tools, two batteries and the opportunity to upgrade for another one, two or more batteries with the same AH as your 24 volt lithiums and for your purposes plenty of strength at a lighter weight.

Comment

Supply and demand is going to win in this situation. I originally wanted the 18Volt Lith-Ion hammer/Drill. The only one in town here is the the Drill by itself and two batts for $249 R8411503. They also have some Compact 18 Volt Lith-Ion R86006 Drill with two SLIM 18 Volt Lith-Ion 1.5 AH for $229 Canadian.
              Then I don't have the Hammer function if I need it.
              Now I can look on E-Bay for One of those Slim 18 Volt Lith-Ion Batts for the smaller work.

To bad Ridgid didn't place orders from customers and them ship them to you. Why does HD have a Exclusive Contract with them? It is almost impossible to find what you want if HD doesn't have it in stock.
              But overall you guys suggest I get the Four PC 18 Ni-Cad set, Then get a couple 18 Volt Lith-Ions when they are available.
              Sorry if I am confusing people, I just don't know all the diff options available to someone buying a good set for the first time. I did Construction for four years, And all the big unions have all this stuff for you to use. Way different story when your buying yourself.

Comment

Please remember whatever you decide that a lithium battery needs a specific charger and cannot be safely charged in the nicad charger. I like my Ridgid cordless tools and good things are on the way such as these 3.0AH batteries, but who know when or if separate lithium chargers will be available. If you are really in a hurry you may have to consider another brand, although since you mentioned a light duty drill, the compact lithium 18volt Ridgid has gotten high reviews and will charge the 3.0 18 volt lithium batteries. Depends where you have to start.

Comment

The 24v tools are great, if you need that much power. The weight is not bad at all. But the 18v are also very powerful, and you would get more tools for the same price going that way. Like I said, I have the 24v kit and love it, but I got it on sale for $269, so even after buying the circular saw separate, I still got the whole package for less than $400. You just have to decide what's more important to you, the extra power or the extra tool.

Comment

In reviewing your posts I keyed on "apprentice" and "electrician." You are starting an electrical apprentice program. You are starting a career as a "professional" electrician. If you remain in the trade, eventually you will have a use for thousands of dollars worth of tools. I suggest you contact someone involved with the apprentice program and ask for a suggestion of what tools you should show up on the first day with. Hell, I have seen apprentice electricians that only pulled wire for the first three months. All they needed were a good pair of gloves. I know you want to make a good impression, however, you could spend alot of money and not use any of the tools for a long period of time. The other thing to consider is risk of theft. Again you might carry your orange bag of nice new shiny 24V LI tools onto the jobsite. The foreman says, "drop those things and go with Tom and he'll show you how to pull wire". You come back at noon and the big orange bag is gone or empty and no one's seen anything.
                    So I suggest calling someone and showing up the first day with the right attitude, ready to work hard and learn and with only the tools they tell you to bring.
                    Good luck with the new career...Ray

Comment

Ray, that was hands down the best real world advice anyone could give this young guy. He is smart to ask questions and collect information on different tools for the time when he will be using them. When I started as a Telephone Lineman all that really mattered to the other guys was how hard I was willing to work, even if you don't know what to do it means a lot to other people that you ask and offer to help. Worst thing to do is have your hands in your pockets or ear to a cell phone, bad impression and possibly the last one you will make.

Comment

Ray, kudos on some straight up info. Sometimes we can all be too energetic and overjoyed to get some new toys, before realizing what we "need" might not be the same as what we "want". (there's a Rolling Stones riff playing in my head now).

Comment

I was the plumber called out to do work in a bathroom remodel and the guy who owned the house had these tools including a cordless circular saw that was awesome.

Very impressed with the cordless drill. Little heavy but if you've been using cordless tools, I'll compromise weight for extra time on the battery. He said there was no slow down when the battery runs out; it's on-off like a switch in its operation when it needs recharged. I'd actually rather have it this way because I'm sure this protects the battery life.

The cordless circular saw was amazingly quiet when it starts and runs. Unheard of for just about any saw I've heard run between electric and battery powered.

I used both and they were both very stout. I'd love to have a cordless hammer drill for doing outside faucets to anchor the new ones in....retire my bosch 1124VSR hammer drill. I like simplicity and one less tool to drag is what I like.

Without even looking I'm sure his set was around $500 and when my dewalts give in I plan on buying the above.
                          Northern Kentucky Plumbers Twitter Feed | Plumbing Videos

Comment

Originally posted by Hottrodd View Post
                            The 24v tools are great, if you need that much power. The weight is not bad at all. But the 18v are also very powerful, and you would get more tools for the same price going that way. Like I said, I have the 24v kit and love it, but I got it on sale for $269, so even after buying the circular saw separate, I still got the whole package for less than $400. You just have to decide what's more important to you, the extra power or the extra tool.

I have never seen the 3pc 24V kit for $269. When was this sale? $379 IS THE PRICE NOW.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
                              I have never seen the 3pc 24V kit for $269. When was this sale? $379 IS THE PRICE NOW.
                              maybe he's talking about the 18v 3 piece kit, that's was once $269...

but if he did steal the 24v kit for $269, that's a pretty nice hat trick...

Comment

Working...
                              X