Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small concearn with R931 Kit, Just got tonight. Need Answers?

This is my First Brand New Cordless Combo Kit that I have purchased from a store. And I think Something isn't right?
    I really need some info tonight, As I head to work tomorrow and would like to use my new toys
    My kit arrived, and after close inspection I feel It has been used very, Very gently
    I won't go into detail on each Peace from Kit. But I will focus on the Drill and A Single Battery and charger that I grabbed and unwrapped. The drill was in a Clear Plastic bag, Bottom was folded in towards handle, but still was un sealed. The Battery Had a rectangle shaped peace of foam wrap (Almost like Foam wrap that is used between 2 By 6 wood Plate and Concrete when Framing a House) wrapped around it and taped with single Peace of scotch tape. Charger was just squeezed into Styro Foam Cutout, No Wrap.
    Is this standard Packing Procedures on a New Product from Ridgid?
    On the Drill, R851150 I can see very small nicks and scratches in Chuck and on chuck teeth. I am sure from Holding bits. The Battery itself has marks where it has been inserted into some sort of Cordless tool. I really can't see any damage at all, Very Good Condition.
    I am wondering if Ridgid technicians test the tools before they leave the Plant? If they do, That could explain the Tool markings on Hammer drill. Also would explain a few slide markings on battery where it would go into the Hammer/Drill.
    Everything else is in the Foam wrap. Instruction's are in a sealed plastic bag, So is the Ridgid Bag.
    I know I shouldn't be a stickler, But I just dropped $530.88 Canadian at HD today! I should be getting brand new Hardware, Right? Or is this the Standard way High end Cordless Drills are sold. It does make sense to test the Items to be sure they work before letting them leave the Manufacturing plant. I just would like someone who has some experience with purchasing these kinds of items to help shed some light on the situation. Surely a Contractor that has bought a few Combo kits at a time would know if the Kits are in fact in never used.
    Thanx again for the Fast responses in my Original thread People. Seems like a great site to get some useful info. I know my posts are a little on the longer side, But it just takes a little more lines to say what I want.

Re: Small concearn with R931 Kit, Just got tonight. Need Answers?

Did the kit come in plastic sealed over the box? If it did, it,s probably new. When I pulled my 8 pc. set out of the box, I noticed the marks on the battery slide area too, but I know my kit was new (it still had the shipped from China tags on the plastic sealed over the box), they must test or partly charge the batteries. As far as the rest of the packaging goes, sounds like how I found my packed too. Don't forget you do have a 90 day return policy with hd, a 3 year warranty with Ridgid + a lsa if you register your tools.

Comment

No, The Box was not wrapped in plastic. And the Box itself is pretty beat up.
      I realize the tools will look beat up after a week on the job. I was just trying to make sure I got new tools that I paid top dollar for. As opposed to a Partial refurbished set with new Manual and Ridgid bag thrown in. I am not saying that Ridgid is trying to pull the wool over on someone, But what about HD? I have heard some very sketchy Deals being done here and there. So if someone had a Kit and used it very Gently, And decided they didn't want it, Sent it back to HD, They tried to Repackage it to look Brand new.
      My wife figures maybe the Drill was the Floor model, So when I phoned to purchase it, They just threw the kit back together. But if that is the case, I should have got a little extra off the price. Floor models do get abuse.
      Maybe some else can add some comments to help clear this up for me.

Thanx for the comment.

Comment

Originally posted by bushwickbill View Post
        No, The Box was not wrapped in plastic. And the Box itself is pretty beat up.
        I realize the tools will look beat up after a week on the job. I was just trying to make sure I got new tools that I paid top dollar for. As opposed to a Partial refurbished set with new Manual and Ridgid bag thrown in. I am not saying that Ridgid is trying to pull the wool over on someone, But what about HD? I have heard some very sketchy Deals being done here and there. So if someone had a Kit and used it very Gently, And decided they didn't want it, Sent it back to HD, They tried to Repackage it to look Brand new.
        My wife figures maybe the Drill was the Floor model, So when I phoned to purchase it, They just threw the kit back together. But if that is the case, I should have got a little extra off the price. Floor models do get abuse.
        Maybe some else can add some comments to help clear this up for me.

Thanx for the comment.
        I can understand your concerns, however everything you described sounds normal. With Ridgids 90 day no questions asked return policy I suggest you get out there and put those bad boys to work.
        You'll like em......Ray

Comment

Sounds like normal packing proceedures. Try it out, if you don't feel comfortable with it, exchange it. I'd almost rather have one that has a few small signs of being checked by a Quality Assurance guy and have it work great, than have one that looked pristine out of the box, but have operating issues. Quite a price you paid - and HD Canada wonders why there's so many of us crossing the border to buy stuff.

Originally posted by spintyer View Post
          Did the kit come in plastic sealed over the box? If it did, it,s probably new.
          Huh? I don't think I've ever seen a boxed Ridgid item sealed in plastic. Not ever. That almost sounds weirder to me.

Comment

Everything your describing to me sounds like what I saw at a wood working show. Ridgid had a booth set up and was trying to sell a bunch of Recon product. They didn't want to tell us that it was recon and tried to avoid saying it as long as possible but we finally got it out of them and we weren't all that impressed with the prices. Some had beenused more than others and they did a decent job of cleaning them up.

Comment

When I got my Ridgid ROS at HD I took it out to the parking lot, opened it up and found some (very little) varnish dust in the dust bag. I took it right back in and they exchanged it, but since it was my first Ridgid corded power tool I wouldn't have even known that the velcro cord wrap was also missing from the first kit unless I got the second one.

I still wonder if the one I returned found its way right back out onto the shelf...

Eli
              A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Huh? I don't think I've ever seen a boxed Ridgid item sealed in plastic. Not ever. That almost sounds weirder to me.[/quote]

The 8pc ultimate kit comes sealed in plastic, but that's it as far as I've seen. I was wondering though, what does Home Depot do with returned items? Is there any chance a kit got returned and put back on the shelf?

Comment

"The 8pc ultimate kit comes sealed in plastic, but that's it as far as I've seen. I was wondering though, what does Home Depot do with returned items? Is there any chance a kit got returned and put back on the shelf?"

That is what I was thinking, that maybe HD tried to make a 'New?' set out of some kits that were kicking around the back room to get that extra cash from a New sale!
                  You never Know what is going on behind closed Doors Of a store.
                  I guess I'll never know one way or the Other.
                  I phoned HD about returning it, And of course there is no other sets to trade it for. So I guess I'll have to wait till one comes in. Back to using My Crap Beat up Ryobi Ni-Cad for now
                  Should I demand that they get me a 'New' Set!!

Comment

Use the Ridgid set until they get a new set in, then exchange it.

The plastic wrap maybe different store to store, some stores may remove the plastic so you can read the box, instead of the "made in china" labels that are stuck to the plastic wrap.

Comment

Bushwickbill,

I do believe they are clearing out the R931 kit. If you are unhappy with the one you got, and your store has no more in, then you better start burning up the phone lines and calling other HD's to try and get one. And/or get your HD to order a new kit in for you from another store. Get rollin', buddy.
                      Last edited by canucksartech; 01-25-2008, 08:01 PM. Reason: Post 200 - yippee!!!

Comment

I took my set back and had them open another set. Believe it or not, My original set was in better condition. So two more kits got opened up, And they all had the Little nicks in the chuck, Wear marks here and there.
                        I phoned the Ridgid tech support again about issue.
                        I asked if it was part of the testing protocol to drill or turn screws during the their test.
                        She informed me that the People who test these items just put a battery 'in' and turn on the drill, try the different modes, Adjust the Clutch and that was about it. She was very sure that they do not have the need to install a driving bit or driver bit and drill or screw anything at all. They only check that the drill or tool works.
                        So she could not explain the tiny marks in chuck as well as the Wear marks in various area of drill.

So I basically packed up my Original kit and went home. I was looking around at maybe another Drill combo it but this was the only model that HD had in stock with the Li Batts
                        He suggested on the DL that I use my Tools for now, And when a Diff Combo kit Comes in I should return mine providing it has been within the 90 Days.
                        I was very tempted to just get the Makita 2Pc 18 Volt Lith-Ion Compact Drill/Driver(The white one) Set for 299.
                        http://www.cpomakita.com/combo_kits/...=nextaglct200w
                        I couldn't believe how light the Drill was with Battery in

Too Bad the Warranty is only 3 Years Parts and 1 Year on Batt
                        I would have bought that had it had the LSA.
                        But considering that my 24 Volt Li Hammer/Drill, Two BATT and charger is $449.00 US to buy by itself, I figure I will get use out of for a very long time. I Believe it is a bit Overpowered for Electrical finishing, But I can always buy the 18 Volt Li Compact Batt to save a bit of weight.
                        Thanx for all the replies everybody.

Comment

Well....I found tonight the plastic wrap on the R9228 8-piece from HD doesn't mean much.

When I got home with it, turns out it was missing the nut driver, flashlight, two batteries, and all the blades and accessories. It had obviously been a return and HD got ripped off, but it was still in the outer plastic with the china stickers on it -- but it might have been taped back together, I really can't tell.

HD was closed....so back in the morning. Looks like an excellent kit though, and it's on sale for $299 right now!

I'm opening the next one at the return counter...

Comment

Looks like someone who bought the kit before you added a few accessories to round out their tool collection...

FOR FREE!!
                            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Just to follow up on that...took the R9228 kit back to HD this morning, and they were great, had one left, and exchanged it without much fuss. I was worried, as I could have just as easily taken some tools myself, and lied about it when returning...which I didn't do, of course. (They just had to get a manager since it was too "perfect" of a job with the plastic wrap taped back, and a HD price sign *inside* the wrap when I bought it.)

So 'ness here. Checked out the new one in the store, and everything was there.

....one random question: Should the 18V battery charger make a quiet "ssss" sound and put out a decent amount of warm air while charging? Everything seems to work well though, and the batteries charged just fine. (I've only worked with 12V or less before...and they didn't seem to do that.)

Thanks!
                              Last edited by Dcat22; 01-27-2008, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X