photoshoped labels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• photoshoped labels

I thought this was kind of funny so I thought I would post it.
    It seems ridgid photoshoped labels on the compressor

http://www.toolsnob.com/archives/cat_air_tools.php

Re: photoshoped labels

This is not at all an uncommon practice in the advertising business. In consideration of the extreme expense of product photography, such things have been going on along time before the PC was ever invented, much less "Photo Shop".

I started in the technical publications business back in 1966 and with a gift for both technical and commercial art, I've been involved in more projects that I can remember, in which the "airbrush" was used to make things that simply didn't exist or modify products to make them into something that wasn't. Adding labels and logos is perhaps one of the simpler challenges.

While I never had the talent or patience for good airbrush work, I have a friend who's work is outstanding. Using dye and even stripping film emulsion he could do almost anything imaginable. With today's digital imaging, even a low cost program and a keen eye can do magic.

After spending a few thousand dollars to get product photography on big industrial compressors, it wasn't uncommon to discover somebody left a wrench or other piece of equipment laying on the unit. Worse was finding that test fittings, flanges, or just wrong piping was evident. I used to spend a lot of time cleaning up photos and even changing components, digitally!

CWS

Comment

Actually, it's kind of interesting. I was reading through my owner's manual for that 2.5 gallon aluminum air compressor (which I have and love), and it's made, it appears, by Campbell Hausfield. Must also make them for Maxus, I guess. The other thing is, it sort of depends if may CH supplied the pictures to both Ridgid and Maxus.

The other thing is, it's funny how this "toolsnob" webpage has assumed that Ridgid has photoshopped the picture from Maxus' compressor. When you actually dig deeper, and look at their review of the compressor, the picture for the compressor and control mechanism actually doesn't match:

Comment

The compressor that I reviewed was the Maxus 2-gallon. The photoshopped ones are the 2.5-gallon models. Thus the difference in the control panel.

Comment

Originally posted by Tool Snob View Post
          The compressor that I reviewed was the Maxus 2-gallon. The photoshopped ones are the 2.5-gallon models. Thus the difference in the control panel.
          How do you review a compressor ? ? ? Will it last 10 years ? 5 years ? 2 years ? Yes people want to know "How loud" it is, "How much air" it compresses, but what a good review would contain is, how long it is expected to last under certain conditions, that's what I would need to know. And by the time you find that out, it's been discontinued, or a model change. I don't know what you reviewed, but I would like to know how anyone can do a review on an air compressor with the expected life time(which to me would be the deciding attribute of whether to buy that one or not)???

Comment

Working...
          X