Drill Press & Link Belts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Press & Link Belts

I've read conflicting reports about using link belts on a drill press. Some say that the belts on a drill press are too short for link belts to really do much as far as reducing vibration is concerned. Some say that yes link belts will reduce drill press vibration.

So, the question is, who has replaced the OEM belts on their drill press with link belts and was there a significant reduction in vibration after doing so?
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Re: Drill Press & Link Belts

Dave

Be sure the vibration is coming from the belts.

Try removing the belts then tighten up the screws that hold the motor mount in place and run the motor. Grab on the column and the table. Do you feel much vibration? If yes, keep holding on with one hand and flip off the power switch. Does the vibration stop at once or keep on as the motor coasts to a stop. Does the motor growl loud when running? I've had more vibration issues from out of balance cone pulleys and/or bad motors than from belts as long as the belts were in good condition and not junkers when brand new. If the machine runs nice when the belts are off, then you might look into a good quality American made replacement belt of the same type as what came with the machine and try it. Try manually spinning each pulley and look for any runout or wobble. The idea is to make sure where the vibration really is coming from.

Note: A good many imported motors and some USA made ones are not engineered correctly or they are junky made. Such will vibrate when running.

If the vibration stops real quickly when the power switch is opened, that can come from poor design or over Voltage at the motor. Some motors are really designed for 100/200 Volts and not 120/240 even if marked as such.

If the vibration changes while the motor coasts down to a stop, try removing the pulley on the motor and test it again. Sometimes the rotor will not be properly balanced at the factory and that can result in some serious shaking issues. In such a case a large motor rebuilding shop should be able to balance it for you.

Comment

Woussko,

Actually, my drill press doesn't have anything near to what I would call a vibration problem. My main reason for asking was out of curiosity. If the responses were positive that link belts can help a DP then I might consider switching the belts on my DP as more of a fine tuning act then one of necessity.

Comment

I have a bench top Delta drill press. About a year ago I replaced the belt with the orange link belt.
        I have noticed a smoother run and possibly less stress on the motor.

Moving the belt to change speeds is effortless

Cactus Man

Comment

Originally posted by cactusman View Post
          Moving the belt to change speeds is effortless
          That point in itself might be worth switching to the link belts. I change speeds on my DP almost everytime I use it.

Comment

Working...
          X