Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

which tool to use for drilling into concrete?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: which tool to use for drilling into concrete?

For that little job maybe a 1/2" chuck hammer drill, but for those little holes a roto-hammer would be like digging a hole for a small bush using a backhoe. You normally do want impacting with rotation. Hard older concrete is hard to penitrate with just rotation and a masonry bit, but in your case I would try it.

To save some $$$ get a few good quality 3/16 or 1/4 inch masonry bits and try drilling pilot holes first and then drill them to size. If a good brand new small masonry bit with your drill just doesn't work, then look at a hammer drill which you can rent but may want to buy. I would go corded unless you want to replace a cordless drill you currently own. If you do end up with a hammer drill be sure the masonry bits say they are for impacting or percussion use. The tips are heavier and ground differently than the masonry bits made for just rotation.

Comment

thanks for all the advice, guys. i think im gonna go rent a rotary hammer and bits first, and see what happens with that. anyone know of a good rental yard in west LA/santa monica area?

Comment

Maximus,
        I have used Nations Rent (now Sunbelt) for past projects in SoCal. I believe Northridge and Los Angeles are the two closest to you. I spent 6 months working in the City of Industry.

Comment

Working...
        X