Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

which tool to use for drilling into concrete?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which tool to use for drilling into concrete?

i need to drill something into the concrete floor of my garage. the concrete is probably 30 years old, if i had to guess. i have masonry bits. i tried using my little 16V (?) cordless drill, and had zero luck. what drill would you all suggest that i use to make the task a little quicker?

thanks!!!

max

Re: which tool to use for drilling into concrete?

You'll need a hammer drill. Masonry bits alone on a regular drill will not have any effect.

Comment

sds rotary hammer , youll never regret buying it

Comment

If you only need to drill a few holes for installing something, I would first determine the size holes you need and make note. Also note how deep the hole needs to be drilled. Then go to a good power tool rental yard and get a roto-hammer and the needed bit(s) to drill the holes. Buying such can run into some serious $$$ and if this is only going to be needed now and then there's no use buying a costly tool and bits. If you were going to need it several times per per month then it would pay to invest in a good roto-hammer and bits for it.

Older concrete has hard gravel in it and besides rotation it takes fast impacts to shatter them.

Comment

Originally posted by m a x i m u s View Post
          i need to drill something into the concrete floor of my garage. the concrete is probably 30 years old, if i had to guess. i have masonry bits. i tried using my little 16V (?) cordless drill, and had zero luck. what drill would you all suggest that i use to make the task a little quicker?
          thanks!!!max
          I would have to guess that you are trying to drill some 3/8" holes for some anchors, just about any hammer drill will do this (some easier then others), if it is for just occasional use I would suggest Ridgid's 18 or 24 volt hammer drills, since it seems like you prefer cordless. Then you will have a nice drill\hammer drill\driver when your done, to use on your other projects.

Comment

For little things like installing a hurracane ancor kit on an ac condensor...4 "L" brackets..take 1 screew per bracket...I've gotne by with my Ridged 18v non hammer drill. ....for frequent small holes my deWalt 18v hammer works good....but like someone said ..for the big stuff SDS sames time..cussing andagravation.

Comment

A rotary hammer will make drilling concrete very easy but it's not the best investment if you only foresee needing to do a couple of holes into concrete. Renting one is a better in that case. Concrete keeps curing for decades so older concrete will be significantly more difficult to drill but for a couple of holes you should be able to get a decent corded hammer drill for not that much money and they will do a very reasonable job. Most corded hammer drills, even the cheaper ones will tend to match or beat a good cordless since they spin at much higher rpm's and have a higher blow per minute rate.

Comment

actually for a jsut a few holes the old star shaped hand drill is not that bad, and in combination with a masonry bit, one can drill a hole in not to long of time. kinds depends on if you have the money for a "real" hammer drill, SDS or want to rent, (yes the small "hammer drill" that vibrate do help some but are not a real hammer drill),

http://www.builderdepot.com/browse.i...odstoreid=4529
                or
                http://www.acehardware.com/sm-dasco-...i-1292223.html
                or
                http://www.amazon.com/Dasco-3635-0-2.../dp/B00004Z12V

you use a hammer (suggested a 2 pound rock hammer or sledge) and hammer and turn them as you hammer. If you need a nice clean hole use a smaller rock drill, and then ream it out with the masonry bit on a drill, even tho they will drill a nice clean hole, the hammering will break the rocks and allow the masonry bit to drill, or jsut use it by its self. rotating it about 1/8 of a turn every blow, of the hammer, (some like to hold with a pair of vice grips or a special star drill holder that has a protector on it if you miss with the hammer.
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Go to HD and rent a hilti te-56. It'll cost you 50$ for 4 hours. Easy money once you have the right tool.
                  Buy cheap, buy twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                    You'll need a hammer drill. Masonry bits alone on a regular drill will not have any effect.
                    hmm, ok. i did go to the local hardware store, and they had SDS rotaries, but didnt loan out sds bits. the masonry bits that i have for my project are non-sds. logic tells me that i would need to rent a non-sds hammer drill to use my bits, but members of the forum have posted that the non-sds doesnt really work too well (?). i could just rent the sds and buy the bits (i need 2 different sizes), but that would be almost $100 in bits down the drain for just one job (i dont anticipate having to drill in to concrete again for the foreseeable future).

so i guess i am asking this: SDS and buy the bits (waste of money?), or non-SDS and use the bits i have (ineffective?).

and yes, this is for installing a floor anchor to chain my motorcycle to in my garage.

thanks in advance for the advice, guys, and thanks for the advice already given!!

max

Comment

Go to a real tool rental yard. I've rented roto-hammers and bits from them many times and at different tool rental yards. Some of the older large roto-hammers use spline or even hex shank bits. Be sure the bits do fit the tool before you take it with you. What size holes, how deep and how many? This will give us a better idea of what you really want to ask for.

Hint: For the most part I don't regard hardware stores as tool rental yards. Some Home Depot locations have a pretty good rental department but many don't. I would look in your yellow pages under RENTAL - Contractor Supplies / Power Tools and then try calling a few asking if they rent Roto-Hammers and the bits for them. In my area they charge a small fee to resharpen the bits and if you ruin the tip then a higher fee but it's not as much (normally) as what the bit(s) would cost new as there are places that braze on and then grind new carbide tips. It pays to ask them what they have and their terms. If you don't like what one place says, try another.
                      Last edited by Woussko; 01-26-2008, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Most "full" rental places will rent bits with their rotaries, look around and save some money!!!

Comment

I've drilled a ton of holes in concrete to set Red Heads with my Ridgid 18v 1/2" hammer drill and it works like a charm. Um,........with a masonry bit, of course.
                          Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                            What size holes, how deep and how many? This will give us a better idea of what you really want to ask for.
                            three 5/8 inch holes about 2 inches deep, two 5/16 inch holes also about 2 inches deep.

Comment

why 5/8 that is big 3/8 will hold it

i say go get a new drill bit and use your drill ,it will work .i have drilled a 3/8 hole with a old 9.6 non hammer drill .drill it slow so you don't heat the bit .
                              a sharp bit will make your day
                              Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                              http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                              http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

Working...
                              X