Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could the new Li kit be coming out today!?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could the new Li kit be coming out today!?

the combo kits page is blank could this mean that they are updating the page to add the new Li combo kits???

Re: Could the new Li kit be coming out today!?

hopefully...

although i'm actually not in a hurry, i'd still like to go to HD and drool over them...

Comment

Just at a Michigan HD today - told that the new 18volt lithium ion kits are still a month or so away. Wait and see how accurate that is.

Comment

no biggie for me...i wasn't planning on gettin it til late march anyways...

i'm sure it'll be there by then...

Comment

Our HD says they will have them on TU 1/29

Comment

i'll go check on tues...

i pray the drill for the 18volt 3.0 kit is not the same drill for the 24 volt kit..that 24volt drill weights a ton...

Comment

Originally posted by DeuceLee View Post
              i'll go check on tues...

i pray the drill for the 18volt 3.0 kit is not the same drill for the 24 volt kit..that 24volt drill weights a ton...
              Yeah, I know, however I don't hold out much hope. It seems like all the manufacturers are in love with the idea of putting a hammer drill in their sets. I don't understand that concept. I'd bet if they did a survey they would find that most purchasers would prefer a "straight" drill that is at least a couple of pounds lighter as opposed to a tank hammer drill.

Comment

That's why I've got the 18 volt compact LI drill, and then the 24 volt XLi hammer drill. I pick what I want to use, for the task at hand. (I finally got my own 24 volt hammer drill - got tired of running across town to to borrow my dad's from him when I needed it).

I agree - too many manufacturers focus on adding in a hammer drill to a kit. The option of either-or is a much better solution.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                  Yeah, I know, however I don't hold out much hope. It seems like all the manufacturers are in love with the idea of putting a hammer drill in their sets. I don't understand that concept. I'd bet if they did a survey they would find that most purchasers would prefer a "straight" drill that is at least a couple of pounds lighter as opposed to a tank hammer drill.
                  Come on guys the heavier the drill the more stable it is, and what's the big deal anyway? Heavy means they put some guts into the dam thing! Hit the gym for a few months and lift some man sized dumbells, eat a few protein drinks and do a few cycles of horse steroids. Trust me those drills will feel light as a feather

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                    Come on guys the heavier the drill the more stable it is, and what's the big deal anyway? Heavy means they put some guts into the dam thing! Hit the gym for a few months and lift some man sized dumbells, eat a few protein drinks and do a few cycles of horse steroids. Trust me those drills will feel light as a feather
                    i'm going to take what you've just said as you're telling a joke

(ceteris paribus, lighter=better) > (your thoughts)

and fyi, just cus a drill is heavier, doesn't mean its more stable, things are only stable if you're stable with it...and i'll take my 500 ft lb, 2.7lb magnesium CP impact gun over any 6lb steel impact that puts out the same power...and cus it's lighter because it's a different material doesn't mean it has less "guts"...

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                      They all do surveys and that's why they all have hammerdrills in their combo kits.
                      I don't work for Ridgid and I don't work for Home Depot but I likely know more about both than someone who works at either.

Comment

Originally posted by 36volt View Post
                        They all do surveys and that's why they all have hammerdrills in their combo kits.
                        Take a look at the kits that are sold and you'll see why they have a hammer drill included. If my kit includes a sawzall (recip saw) I'm probably not hanging up pictures in the den or putting up curtain rods - the original thought by a manufacturer is that the tools are going to get worked by professionals over a wide range of applications. Household tools that are going to be sitting in a kitchen drawer are made and marketed differently (Skil IX02 or B&D Screw drivers). The professional user then fills in the gaps based on his tool usage and buys more of a specialty tool to fit his application or single tools if not interested in a kit. Ridgid's 9.6V screw driver is for professional applications and I'll bet not many of those are sitting in the kitchen drawer waiting for an occaisional curtain rod installation job. It will handle a wide range of work from small face plate screws to 3" wood screw applications and was originally sold as an individual tool even though lately it's shown up in some combo kits. If I were a manufacturer I'd do the same top-down marketing with my combo kits.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinalzo View Post
                          Take a look at the kits that are sold and you'll see why they have a hammer drill included. If my kit includes a sawzall (recip saw) I'm probably not hanging up pictures in the den or putting up curtain rods - the original thought by a manufacturer is that the tools are going to get worked by professionals over a wide range of applications. Household tools that are going to be sitting in a kitchen drawer are made and marketed differently (Skil IX02 or B&D Screw drivers). The professional user then fills in the gaps based on his tool usage and buys more of a specialty tool to fit his application or single tools if not interested in a kit. Ridgid's 9.6V screw driver is for professional applications and I'll bet not many of those are sitting in the kitchen drawer waiting for an occaisional curtain rod installation job. It will handle a wide range of work from small face plate screws to 3" wood screw applications and was originally sold as an individual tool even though lately it's shown up in some combo kits. If I were a manufacturer I'd do the same top-down marketing with my combo kits.
                          We are professionals which is why the drills we work with all day, every day are nice light, well balanced tools like the Ridgid 18V LI compact drill at slightly more than 4lbs with batt. The 7.5lb 24V LI Hammerdrill sits in the bag for the big bore jobs. I and every other professional that I know would much prefer the 24V LI was two pounds lighter and a straight drill. When we want to drill concrete we pull out a real roto hammer drill that has the speed and power to really do that job. I suggest the hammer drill is for the home handy man who is hoping he can get a combo tool to do it all. We all end up with this compromise tool that isn't real good for anything.
                          Frank.....Meanwhile, I'm going to take your suggestion and instead lifting those half dozen pancakes and half pound of bacon and bacon grease fried potato's every morning maybe I'll do a few situps, some pushups, a little jog around the neighborhood and I'll be man enough to take on that old 24 Volt beast and get it under control. I'd like to share more, however I have to leave now for the appointment to get my shot. Thanks for the help! Your my hero...Ray
                          Last edited by roadrashray; 01-29-2008, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X