X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!! Can't adhere disc to my Orbit Sander

I am unable to make the included discs adhere to the hook and loop backing. Any suggestions??

Case

Re: HELP!! Can't adhere disc to my Orbit Sander

Read the manual and look in the Troubleshooting section for a solution.

Call the manufacturers toll free help line.

Assume it's defective and return to the store for another one.

Get some sand paper sheets and start manually sanding, all the while cursing toll free help lines that are closed on weekends and stores who are sold out of your model sander.

Go down to your local planetarium/observatory, throw the sander towards a group of people(if any are around) and yell "Orbit this!!". (may be difficult to do, considering your arm is probably sore from all that manual sanding)

Then run away laughing maniacally.

Call your congressman.

Call 911.
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Thanks for your reply you were a big help. I thought this was a help forum not a comedy club. Looks like some ones got a lot of time on their hands.

Comment

Obviously not as much time as a guy with a broken sander....

Comment

This coming from a guy who spends his Saturday Nights making fun of people on tool forum page. Typical of a Canadian. I don't have time thats why I'm doing my remodeling on a Saturday night. If someone can help me please post a response.

Comment

Is this a new sander? If so it's strange that the pads included won't stick. Try some different brand pads if you can. If its a new Ridgid sander you have 90 days to get it replaced at HD. Might be a defective pad. The only time you should see that problem is when the backing pad on the sander side is worn out. This part is a wear item and needs to be replaced every so often when it looses it's grip. If it's an old sander that is the most likely culprit. You would probably need to buy a new backing pad for it.

Comment

Thanks for your help. It is a brand new sander but I have the distinct feeling that it was used and returned. I guess I'm taking it back. Thanks again.

Comment

Yeah it sounds to me like that sander might have been used and they damaged the pad and took it back. If it's from HD you're are not the first to suspect HD rapacked and resold a returned tool that looked to be in good condition.
                Last edited by Velosapien; 01-26-2008, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctweyand View Post
                  This coming from a guy who spends his Saturday Nights making fun of people on tool forum page. Typical of a Canadian. I don't have time thats why I'm doing my remodeling on a Saturday night. If someone can help me please post a response.
                  My my but the New York Yank is touchy this evening........

You probably couldn't even point out Canada on a world map.......

There appears to be only one tool on this tool forum, and it ain't me......
                  Last edited by tinmack; 01-27-2008, 11:17 AM.

Comment

normally today there are two types of sanders, the hook and loop type and the PSA basically (guessing it stands for "pressure sensitive adhesive ") or stick on type,

most are the hook and loop style that I have seen the pad has the hook side of the "Velcro", and the sand paper has a light felt type backing on it, that the hooks and can get stuck into,

If the sand paper is jsut paper backing it will not stick or if it is the stick on type as there is not enough surface to hold it, it is possible that the hooks of the "Velcro" is missing off the pad or were never put on or it has the "PSA" type pad , or the paper is not the right type, or some thing is wore out like said before.

the pad should have small plastic hooks that look like this picture, covering the whole pad,
                    http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thu...910_velcro.jpg
                    or
                    http://www.nikonsmallworld.com/image...ro-entry-1.jpg
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

There are probably two interchangeable pads on your ROS. Did two come in the box? One is for adhesive backed and one is the hook and loop kind. Is it not sticking at all or is it just not staying fixed? My ridgid ROS was used before I bought it so I returned it--luckily I found out in the parking lot--there was dust in the dust bag.

BTW, I thought Canadians were typically funny, smart, kind, polite, good looking, interesting...

Yes I am Canadian too you, you...racist! I'm here and I've taken an Americans job and one of your women too. Hope that velcro issue doesn't stump you too bad. It is a complicated mechanism.

Eli

PS See? Even when we're mad we still help!
                      A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Originally posted by woodenstickers View Post
                        There are probably two interchangeable pads on your ROS. Did two come in the box? One is for adhesive backed and one is the hook and loop kind. Is it not sticking at all or is it just not staying fixed? My ridgid ROS was used before I bought it so I returned it--luckily I found out in the parking lot--there was dust in the dust bag.

BTW, I thought Canadians were typically funny, smart, kind, polite, good looking, interesting...

Yes I am Canadian too you, you...racist! I'm here and I've taken an Americans job and one of your women too. Hope that velcro issue doesn't stump you too bad. It is a complicated mechanism.

Eli

PS See? Even when we're mad we still help!
                        My humble thanks for getting the jist of the whole thing, even the sarcastic roll eyes. See, that's why they won't let you run for President....

Comment

Hope that velcro issue doesn't stump you too bad. It is a complicated mechanism.

Still laughing MAO over that one........

Comment

Yo Tinmack, SHUT UP STUPID!!!
                            info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Thank you all for your help and advice, the sander had been used and I returned it for a new one today.

Comment

Working...
                              X