X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chargers?

can the duel rapid max charger that comes with the 18 v 2.5 AH kit, charge 18 v Li/or 24 v Li batteries, or is that to good to be true?
    im confused because i was looking at the duel voltage tools for sale at HD and never saw a Li charger.

Re: chargers?

Yes to the 18 volt, no to the 24 volt.
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by willie 08 View Post
      can the duel rapid max charger that comes with the 18 v 2.5 AH kit, charge 18 v Li/or 24 v Li batteries, or is that to good to be true?
      im confused because i was looking at the duel voltage tools for sale at HD and never saw a Li charger.
      NO!!!!According to the battery model numbers listed on the Duel Rapid Max charger it CAN NOT be used to charge the 18V LI batteries. According to Ridgid instructions attempting to charge LI batteries on a non approved charger can cause damage to the battery or charger. I don't remember if their safety instructions includes the dreaded draconian warning of possibility of serious injury, however abused lithium ion batteries have a history of causing explosions or fires.
      The 24V LI battery has a charger unique to it which can not be used to charge any other batteries including the 18V LI.
      The charger that comes with the 18V LI drill can be used to charge all the NiCad batts.
      All the Ridgid chargers list the model numbers for the batts they charge on the data plate mounted on the charger.
      Last edited by roadrashray; 01-27-2008, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by willie 08 View Post
        I had the same question because the dual charger packaging states that it will charge "all" Ridgid batteries. I emailed Ridgid Tech and they replied that the dual charger will not charge the LiIon batteries, but will service all the NiCads up to the 18 volt. The packaging was not misleading to me as the word Lithium never appeared on it, but I was kind of hoping it would do so because it's on sale now. The 24 volt batteries require their own charger altogether and I haven't seen any at my local HD as I wanted to buy one of the 24 volt kits as I think they are becoming scarce.

Comment

Be careful, the duel port chargers are for Ni-Cads only, from the information I have.

Comment

Here is a copy of the response that I received from Ridgid Tech Support regarding the dual port chargers presently on sale at HD. If you read the packaging, it states that it will charge all Ridgid batteries. I knew that they would not charge the Lithiums, but was kinda hoping they would so it would give me a reason to pick up another one - the one I have is from 2003 and lithium power tools weren't as readily available.

"No, it sounds like you are describing one of the NiCad chargers, they were marketed like that long before the Lithium Ion series products came out. The only way I could say for sure is if you can provide the part number for the charger, which is on the serial number data plate on the charger.

Lithium batteries require a charger with Lithium Ion battery chargering capability. NiCad chargers are not compatible with Lithium Ion batteries."

Best regards,

Tom C.
            Consumer Response
            One World Technologies, Inc.

So, there we have it, the dual ports currently on sale support only the NiCad batteries and are not compatible with the newer lithium.

Comment

I've been looking forward to the new 3.0AH 18 volt lithium batteries, but the cheapest way for me to have that would be to pay $100 for a compact drill which comes with a drill I don't need and a 1.5AH battery I don't want and charger then another $100 for each battery. I'll wait and see if Ridgid offers any kits with the 3.0 batteries and charger, I can always pick and choose tools in a kit to keep or sell, but for now the cost is too high.

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                Yes to the 18 volt, no to the 24 volt.
                Ack! No!

If it will charge a LI battery, it will have a logo on it that says Lithium Ion. Only newer chargers that have that logo should be used with any of the 18 volt Lithium Ion batteries (24 volt batteries have a separate charger).

These newer chargers have a little computer circuit in them, to monitor the lithium battery chemistry while it is charging. Older chargers don't have this monitoring circuit, and can overload a lithium ion battery, causing very bad things to happen.

Comment

Anyone seen the new multi-bay charger that Rockler has out?
                  It has replaceable modules to fit different make batteries, You can charge 4 different batteries at one with the one charger.

This reminds of a universal charger (the MasterCharger by W&W Associates) that came out for portable radios some years back. It had different holders that you dropped in the charger which were fitted to various makes and models of walkie-talkies. When you bough a new radio you didn't get a new charger, you just got the new holder for that radio, the charger sensed the voltage and charge rate for each battery and could do conditioning (these were Ni-Cads) too.

Just looked them up and they're still out there and getting great reviews for their chargers. Check them out if you have a need.

http://www.wwassociates.com/
                  ---------------
                  Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                  ---------------
                  “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                  ---------
                  "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                  ---------
                  sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                    Ack! No!

If it will charge a LI battery, it will have a logo on it that says Lithium Ion. Only newer chargers that have that logo should be used with any of the 18 volt Lithium Ion batteries (24 volt batteries have a separate charger).

These newer chargers have a little computer circuit in them, to monitor the lithium battery chemistry while it is charging. Older chargers don't have this monitoring circuit, and can overload a lithium ion battery, causing very bad things to happen.
                    I'll have to pick up one of those logos for my dual nicad charger. How much could they possibly charge for a lousy logo?

Comment

I don't think they're yet selling the newer LI compatible chargers solo. The newer products (18 volt lithium compact drill, both single- and dual-battery kits, as well as the 8 piece Ultimate kit) have this LI compatible charger coming with them. Soon, I hope to see that they update the dual port charger to be LI compatible. Also, I'm surprised to see that they are only using the addition of a little logo on the chargers' label to differentiate between a LI-compatible and a non-LI-compatible version of the charger. If you ask me, TTI/OWT is asking for a world of hurt by not having a more definitive differentiation than this little logo - as you see from various threads on this forum, it's not hard for people to confuse the LI / NiCad charger issue, and I'm waiting for the first post to show up that says something went kaboom.

Comment

I have to assume that they've got it worked out on the chargers as back fitting tools for the newer technology is nothing new to the tool and battery industry. TTI/OWT (Milwaukee, Ryobi, Ridgid), DeWalt, MAkita and Bosch have certainly done their R&D in designing their products and as a further precaution they've instructed their users to avoid using the older NiCad chargers on their newer offerings. I'd say that they've been pretty effective in getting the message across as it's all the buzz as to what the charging procedure should be and they'v just barely released lithium product (compact drill 7/07). Haven't seen a manufacturer yet that is telling any of it's users to charge their lithium battery with a NiCad charger and I am sure that they would have some sort of fail safe for the novice user incorporated in their technology. Milwaukee and Ryobi already have 18V NiCad and Lithium tools coexisting in the real world without problems and I've seen some of their failsafe additions on their batteries and chargers. The biggest thing is the "BUZZ". It's really been effective as that second layer of defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                          I'll have to pick up one of those logos for my dual nicad charger. How much could they possibly charge for a lousy logo?
                          In recognition of all the "new tool" ideas you have submitted I'm confident they have a special arrangement in mind for you! I get a little warm fuzzy every time I think of that "electric toothbrush charging port" suggestion for the official Ridgid radio. hmmmmmm! I wonder if that's whats causing the continued delay on that thing. Huge numbers of Chinese technicians scurrying around implementing that change. Thanks alot Frank!

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
                            Ack! No!

Ack! Yes! to the 18 volt.....see post number 8 of this:

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15512

I knew I was right.........According to Ridgid anyway. Oh right, they manufacture and warranty the stuff......
                            Last edited by tinmack; 01-31-2008, 10:47 AM.
                            I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Working...
                            X