Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been thinking.......Sell my 8 piece i bought for $270?

i bought a 8 piece at HD for $270, thought it was a pretty sweet deal...

I've been PONDERING like nuts the last day or so after reading what member here said about how his max recip saw works great with the 24v and just ok with the 18v...

whats the point of having a cordless recip saw, circular saw, or jig saw if it could have worked a good amount better if you've made a choice difference and paid a little more?

a circular saw, recip saw, and jig saw are usually used with two hands or is laying on some material so imo the weight is not much of a factor anymore as in a drill where you're holding it up with one hand...

so i've been thinking about selling the 8 piece kit, wait for the 18volt lithium drill/driver (two 18volt 3.0ah batts, hopefully it's not the same 5+ lb bare drill that the 24volt drill comes with), and then get the drill/recip saw/light 24volt combo for $379, and buy a separate max recip saw and jig saw...sell the 24volt drill (again, if it's heavier/different from the 18volt 3.0ah)

what do you guys think? i don't want to regret anything, but if enough of you guys say you're 18volt circular saw, recip saw, and jig saw does plenty fine for you, i might keep it...otherwise i'd go with the plan on this page and sell the 8 piece on ebay while it's still new, they're going for $350+ on ebay (buyer paying shipping)...

any other bright ideas?
    Last edited by DeuceLee; 01-27-2008, 04:43 PM.

Re: Been thinking.......Sell my 8 piece i bought for $270?

Originally posted by DeuceLee View Post
    i bought a 8 piece at HD for $270, thought it was a pretty sweet deal...

I've been PONDERING like nuts the last day or so after reading what member here said about how his max recip saw works great with the 24v and just ok with the 18v...

whats the point of having a cordless recip saw, circular saw, or jig saw if it could have worked a good amount better if you've made a choice difference and paid a little more?

a circular saw, recip saw, and jig saw are usually used with two hands or is laying on some material so imo the weight is not much of a factor anymore as in a drill where you're holding it up with one hand...

so i've been thinking about selling the 8 piece kit, wait for the 18volt lithium drill/driver (two 18volt 3.0ah batts, hopefully it's not the same 5+ lb bare drill that the 24volt drill comes with), and then get the drill/recip saw/light 24volt combo for $379, and buy a separate max recip saw and jig saw...sell the 24volt drill (again, if it's heavier/different from the 18volt 3.0ah)

what do you guys think? i don't want to regret anything, but if enough of you guys say you're 18volt circular saw, recip saw, and jig saw does plenty fine for you, i might keep it...otherwise i'd go with the plan on this page and sell the 8 piece on ebay while it's still new, they're going for $350+ on ebay (buyer paying shipping)...

any other bright ideas?
    Let's do the math! The 8 piece set came with a Hammer drill, Impact tool, recip saw, circ saw, caulk gun, flashlight, two 18V NiCad batts and 9.6 volt screw driver for $270. You are correct, that is a very sweet deal indeed.
    You are proposing buying the 24 volt set for $379 which includes the Hammer drill, recip saw, light and 24V LI batts. In order to fairly compare the deals you must now add the Impact tool($117), jig saw($117), caulk gun($117) and 9.6 volt screwdriver($47) for a total of $668. Thats $398 more for virtually the same tools. That does not include the sales tax. $398 gives you alot of options. Ebay has 24V LI batts for $80 ea. to provide that extra power you are lusting after for the recip and circ saws, new 18V LI compact drills are $99 at HD. You could purchase two 24V LI batts on Ebay and the 18V LI compact and still have $139 left over for gas money. Stop worrying!!!You got a great deal which in my opinion provides the best options for a very nice set of power tools....Ray

Comment

How many hours a day on average would you use those tools in the performance of your job? If your answer is less than 4 than I think that set you already have will be sufficient if not already overkill.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
        Let's do the math! The 8 piece set came with a Hammer drill, Impact tool, recip saw, circ saw, caulk gun, flashlight, two 18V NiCad batts and 9.6 volt screw driver for $270. You are correct, that is a very sweet deal indeed.
        You are proposing buying the 24 volt set for $379 which includes the Hammer drill, recip saw, light and 24V LI batts. In order to fairly compare the deals you must now add the Impact tool($117), jig saw($117), caulk gun($117) and 9.6 volt screwdriver($47) for a total of $668. Thats $398 more for virtually the same tools. That does not include the sales tax. $398 gives you alot of options. Ebay has 24V LI batts for $80 ea. to provide that extra power you are lusting after for the recip and circ saws, new 18V LI compact drills are $99 at HD. You could purchase two 24V LI batts on Ebay and the 18V LI compact and still have $139 left over for gas money. Stop worrying!!!You got a great deal which in my opinion provides the best options for a very nice set of power tools....Ray
        i was planning on selling the kit for $350 (net), i would only buy the jig saw, circular, recip saw and the batteries...i don't really care for a impact, caulk or 9.6 volt screwdriver (sunk cost items), i would sell the 5lb 10oz drill that comes with the 24volt kit, so take about $50 off the $379, buy the maxselect jig saw and circular on ebay for about $140 (i'm way more worried about the batts going out then the tools), and then i was going to buy a 18volt 3.0Ah drill kit either way anyways...

so the math would be $350 (what i could sell my kit for) - $379 (the kit) + $50 (what i'd sell the drill for) - $140 (circular and jig on ebay) = extra $120 or so...

but i think u and dave have the right idea, i'm not a full time contractor/builder anyways, so this 8 piece kit will probably do...

anyone with the max kit that can shed some light on the performance difference between the 24volt batts and the 18volt batts in their max tools?
        Last edited by DeuceLee; 01-27-2008, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeuceLee View Post
          i was planning on selling the kit for $350 (net), i would only buy the jig saw, circular, recip saw and the batteries...i don't really care for a impact, caulk or 9.6 volt screwdriver (sunk cost items), and then i was going to buy a 18volt 3.0Ah drill kit either way anyways...

but i think u and dave have the right idea, i'm not a full time contractor/builder anyways, so this will do...

thanks for waking me up
          I think you are making the correct decision. I would add that you WILL find the Impact tool to be very usefull. I am a contractor and use it every day. It drives screws like a banshee(whatever that means) and doesn't stress the elbow like a drill will. The 9.6 volt screwdrive is surprisingly usefull.
          When working with smaller screws the speed is much lower so you have less of a tendency to strip them out or bounce out of the screw and scratch that newly painted wall.
          Now get out there and make some sawdust and drill some holes with that great set....Ray

Comment

I have never really bought a full out kit (whenever I was looking for anything, no real nice sales going on for a half decent kit).

I have basically all the MaxSelect tools (except for the dumb caulking gun). I bought the impact driver and the circular saw at the start of last year, due to a need I had for them. I've now added all the other MaxSelect tools, due to a wicked sale that was on last fall up here in Canada (buy one at $79, get another free).

I sold my old original 18volt nicad cordless when I got the new 18volt compact lithium ion when it first came out last June. And I now have the 24 volt XLi hammer drill, to have a bigger, stonger drill when needed, but mostly to get the 24 volt XLi lithium ion batteries.

So, I now have the 18 volt compact lithium ion drill, the 24 volt XLi hammerdrill, two 24 volt batteries, two 18 volt 1.5 ah lithium ion batteries, and all the MaxSelect tools (save for that goofy caulking gun). I do notice a HUGE performance difference between the different 2 batteries on the MaxSelect tools. Mind you, the impact is a real treat with the weaker but much smaller and lighter 18 volt lithium ion batteries.

Now that I have this tool set up in the format that I have, I don't think that I would want it any different. I love the fact that I have the dual voltage capability to all of my tools - I use the 18 volt batteries when I want lightweight convenience, and I use the 24 volt batteries when I want increased RPMs, strength, and runtime, for bigger jobs.

It's all perfect now (except for the crazy caulking gun - did I mention it seems like a ridiculous tool???)

Comment

The caulking gun is used on viscous material applies in bulk like adhesives.
              Remember, LiI batteries discharge in the cold so I still want my NiCads too.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
                The caulking gun is used on viscous material applies in bulk like adhesives.
                Remember, LiI batteries discharge in the cold so I still want my NiCads too.

I know what a caulking gun is for - I'm just suprised to see it as a commonly placed tool in Ridgid kits. (I know that there are those, ie contractors that do a lot of subfloor work for example, that use a lot of adhesive tubes, so obviously there is a use for it).

Also, LI batteries discharging in the cold? Isn't it an advantage of lithium ion that it discharges LESS than nicads, and in fact LI is recommended for it's advantages when in the cold??

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post

I know what a caulking gun is for - I'm just suprised to see it as a commonly placed tool in Ridgid kits. (I know that there are those, ie contractors that do a lot of subfloor work for example, that use a lot of adhesive tubes, so obviously there is a use for it).

Also, LI batteries discharging in the cold? Isn't it an advantage of lithium ion that it discharges LESS than nicads, and in fact LI is recommended for it's advantages when in the cold??
                  Canuck......I would have agreed with you on the caulking gun(what's next, rhinestone studded designer tool belts?) until I helped a friend build a modular panel workshop a couple of years ago. I swear we spent half of every day with caulk guns in hand. I actually got a blister from using them. I also love the automatic pressure release feature. Anyway, along with "free" government bonuses for the working guy and thanks to Brittany Spears, Kevin Federline gets to be daddy of the year, It's a sign of the times.....Ray
                  Last edited by roadrashray; 01-28-2008, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Check the price of a Milwalkee caulking gun or a DW, over $200. I was not implying that you did not know what the gun is used for but it also takes the larger type too. Great deal if you need one and have a large job. Maybe you never used one, I have an older Ridgid pneumatic one and use it all the time but you need an air source and have to manually release the pressure with the second trigger.

Comment

I found a great use for the cordless caulk gun. Made a few mods to the pressure dial and took it out to the paintball range.
                      Last edited by joe_d; 01-28-2008, 04:19 PM.
                      Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

I bought the 5 piece kit when it was on clearance for 269+tax. The only thing the 8 pc kit comes with extra is the 9.6V screwdriver, 18V jigsaw and 18V caulking gun.

I can tell you I used the recip saw and the circ saw a few times, but found them both invaluable. Recip saw was great for cutting nails out of the joists on my deck as I was tearing it down. Circ saw was great for cutting the decking I used to add a set of stairs down to my new patio (that replaced the deck I tore down). Circ saw also handy for adding vent holes in my DriCore basement flooring.

I think you will find uses for both of the tools as well. You just need to know what you can and cant do with them. Like, I didnt even attempt to use my cordless circ saw to cut the stair stringers for my platform. And, I used a corded recip saw to cut down any wood from the deck.....the cordless stuff has its place for quick, not too heavy duty jobs (my pool guy carried around a cordless DeWalt recip saw for all PVC plumbing jobs......makes quick work of cutting pool pipe).

I never regretted spending the 269 on my kit. Ive been debating the 299 kit and selling it for parts, but looking at the Ebay prices, I think one only stands to make 100.00 or so (I was planning on keeping the 18V batteries for myself). 100.00 is a decent amount of $$$, but I hate dealing with auctions, shipping, etc for such a small amount.

And, the impact driver will quickly become your friend. I never understood the point of it, until I used it. Put my sons giganto-swingset together with the impact driver only. I love that thing now.

-Chris

Comment

I'm just yankin' on ya, Andrew. I do also think it is a great tool for those that need it, ie for the specified subcontractor segment. It's a good idea (maybe, I will concede) to have as a MaxSelect tool, but I just don't get why they're so heavily included in the multi-tool kits.

My dad got one, and yeah, I will also admit, cool that they take the big arse tubes.

Ray - the best part of the Spears fiasco, is that her darling mother was writing a parenting book. LOL.

Comment

The Milwaukee Cordless Caulk Gun is $262.80

http://www.ohiopowertool.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=6562-21
                            Jay
                            Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
                            Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

Working...
                            X