Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing key from keyway

Need some help fellas.
    I am replacing the two pulleys on my Ridgid 2420. The one on the drive moter and the one on the arbor. I have not been able to get the drive pulley off the motor. The pulley will come off about halfway and stop. I have tried pulling the key with pliers but I have burred the edges, which may be the reason I can not get it out of the keyway and the pulley off the shaft. Any ideas on how to get the key out of the keyway?
    I am going to install a pair of V-slotted pulleys from Woodworker.com. Is there a better source for machined balanced pulleys?
    Your help is appreciated in advance.
    Doug

Re: Removing key from keyway

you may need a "gear puller" either a two or three arm, the three arm is better and it has a screw in the center of it to apply pressure to the shaft of the item you want the "gear or pulley" off of. it may be burred or the set screw (see if there are two set screws) some use one on the key and one 90 or 180 apart, I doubt if there are two but some times there are on some pulleys, or gears,
    Attached Files
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Doug, those keys really get stuck in there and a little rust makes things even worse. Instead of pulling with regular pliers, I would clamp on vise grips and tap them with a hammer. The vibration and stronger grip should help to break it loose. A little penetrating oil or heat might help as well. Sometimes even with the key out you will find the pulley frozen in place or not moving on the shaft. I have used emery cloth to clean the shaft of rust and oxidation and some penetrating oil to help the pulley slide off. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you those are some great ideas and I will try them tomorrow when I get home.
        Douge

Comment

Nut Buster, some light tapping on the back of the key with a punch, tapping the key toward the motor will make it tighter. A burr will form on the key sometimes from the set screw too. Do not use a puller on the flange where the belt rides or it may bend.
          BTW the TS3650 pulleys and belt system are very good. You might want to check the price.

Comment

One method that seems to get skipped, for when you can get behind it, is to push it out. Even in small places an undersized L-shaped allen key inserted in the hole can driven in by jamming a tapered punch in behind it. Get close to the bend or you'll just break the allen key. I like the harden steel in allen keys for this.

Comment

Working...
            X