X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 18 Volt Lithium Battery

Not to butt in but it really is as easy as just using the right charger for the battery. I own the 18 volt Lithium ion drill, the charger has a stamp on it that says 9.6 up to 18 or something like that and it also says Lithium ion so I know I can charger 9.6 up to 18 volt nicad batteries and 18 volt lithium ion batteries on it. I guess the argument here is about the older batteries ?? I would have to think that you can use it for the old batteries as well as long as it's the same platform (i.e. slide type battery) and it fits the charger....Just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by jayrocka1200 View Post
      Not to butt in but it really is as easy as just using the right charger for the battery. I own the 18 volt Lithium ion drill, the charger has a stamp on it that says 9.6 up to 18 or something like that and it also says Lithium ion so I know I can charger 9.6 up to 18 volt nicad batteries and 18 volt lithium ion batteries on it. I guess the argument here is about the older batteries ?? I would have to think that you can use it for the old batteries as well as long as it's the same platform (i.e. slide type battery) and it fits the charger....Just my 2 cents
      Jayrocka, if you read the thread in the open discussion section that it titled "Merge", you will see that this all has to do with the safety of charging the lithium batteries in the older nicad chargers. Many of us believed it posed a hazard. The reason it is not as simple as using the right charger for the right battery is that the newer lithium battery fit the older charger and most of us thought that held the potential for disaster. You own the newer lithium drill and charger so the process is relatively safe and simple for you, however for the folks who own the older 18 volt tools and batteries and purchased the newer 18 volt lithiums compact or 3.0AH the chance of mixing batteries and chargers was very high. Luckily we have been informed that although the lithium specific charger is recommended, the lithium battery can be safely charged on the older pre-lithium designed chargers. Good news all around.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
        Luckily we have been informed that although the lithium specific charger is recommended, the lithium battery can be safely charged on the older pre-lithium designed chargers. Good news all around.
        Apparently not - that seems to be incorrect. Josh's posts that stated that have been pulled. In just about anyone's knowledge, that is a big no no.

To be continued, I guess.....

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
          Apparently not - that seems to be incorrect. Josh's posts that stated that have been pulled. In just about anyone's knowledge, that is a big no no.

To be continued, I guess.....
          Josh put all the posts together in a Thread in the Open Discussion below under "Merge". On the last page you will see a post by Probrand in which he says although the newer charger is recommended it is safe to use the older nicad chargers. I think that finally ends all our questions. Maybe???

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I was wondering about that myself. It should be common sense to NOT charge a LI battery with a charger that clearly states only Ni-Cad.
            Justin Murray - BMWCCA #364056 - WTB E12 Parts Thread
            1994 BMW 530iA - 1981 BMW 528i5 - 2001 Nissan Altima

Comment

Working...
            X