X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 Volt Lithium Battery

Saw a single Ridgid 18 volt lithium battery at HD for $98 today, but no instructions on the package as to whether the old Ridgid Rapid Max. charger will safely charge this new lithium battery. Does anyone know if we can use our old chargers on this new battery or have to buy a new lithium charger for it?

Re: 18 Volt Lithium Battery

No, as of right now, you cannot charge the LI battery on the NiCad only RapidMax charger. Please do a search of threads to find discussions on chargers, to find out recommendations/types/etc.

Comment

The Li Ion batteries CANT be charged in the Ni Cad charger, but they say that the Li Ion charger can charge the NiCads

Comment

i think as long as the nicad charger has a "lithium" sign on it, i can charge the 18volt lithiums...the compact 18volt lithium anyways, i hope i can charge the 3.0Ah 18volt lithiums as well...

Comment

Originally posted by DeuceLee View Post
          i think as long as the nicad charger has a "lithium" sign on it, i can charge the 18volt lithiums...the compact 18volt lithium anyways, i hope i can charge the 3.0Ah 18volt lithiums as well...
          I haven't seen anywhere that says you can't. I don't think the Ah makes a difference when it comes to charging the battery, other than it might take longer to charge.
          And I think that Ridgid is doing as well as any other companies when it comes to this. Every company has chargers that won't work with lithium because they were made before lithium batteries were developed. Dewalts old charger won't work with li batteries, but their new one will do both. And they too have a different charger for 36v batteries.

Comment

Basically all single port 18 volt chargers will charge both, a duel port charger only does Ni-Cad's. And you will find a Lithium-Ion decal on it (near the bottom left side, right under the Nickel-Cad decal).

Comment

Thanks for you imput. Both of the chargers I have are Rapid Max changers, one single and one twin, but niether have a Lithium Logo on them because they were made the year before Lithium batteries were made. So, I still don't know if either one will charge the new lithium batteries.

Comment

Charge them - maybe. Safely - most definitely not.

Only LI batteries should be charged on newer chargers that have the little LI logo, and that are newer and made to charge LI batteries (they have an extra little computer circuit in them, sort of the monitor the LI battery chemistry during charge, to ensure they don't go kaplooee).

Comment

Originally posted by rodeason View Post
                  Thanks for you imput. Both of the chargers I have are Rapid Max changers, one single and one twin, but niether have a Lithium Logo on them because they were made the year before Lithium batteries were made. So, I still don't know if either one will charge the new lithium batteries.
                  If it doesn't have the lithium logo on it, don't use it for lithium batteries. There were some single port chargers made before lithium batteries came out, so you can't just go by that. If you don't have a lithium charger, your best bet is to buy the compact drill for $99, or wait and see if they sell a kit with just a battery and charger. I know it sucks to have to buy a new charger, but it's cheaper than burning your house down.

Comment

Originally posted by spintyer View Post
                    Basically all single port 18 volt chargers will charge both, a duel port charger only does Ni-Cad's. And you will find a Lithium-Ion decal on it (near the bottom left side, right under the Nickel-Cad decal).
                    NO, NO, NO, Please don't put out that kind of dangerous misinformation. There are literally thousands of single port chargers out there that were sold before the lithium ion batts were released and they can NOT SAFELY charge LI batteries. Please don't guess on this very important safety issue. Someone will see your statement and take it as gospel and possibly burn their house down or cause an explsion.
                    The point is that you must be positive the charger you are using is appropriate (AND SAFE) for the battery you are going to charge. The only way to do that is to check the data plate on the charger. It will list the model number for every battery that can be safely charged on it. Check the model number on the data plate on your battery. If you get a match...wallah! If not, do not charge that battery in that charger.
                    Some say Ridgid definately dropped the ball by not putting appropriate warning stickers on each model of charger, however what about all the NiCad chargers already out there and with continuing misinformation regarding use of chargers. Bottom line.....the info is on the charger and battery. Protect yourself....Use it

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                      NO, NO, NO, Please don't put out that kind of dangerous misinformation. There are literally thousands of single port chargers out there that were sold before the lithium ion batts were released and they can NOT SAFELY charge LI batteries. Please don't guess on this very important safety issue. Someone will see your statement and take it as gospel and possibly burn their house down or cause an explsion.
                      The point is that you must be positive the charger you are using is appropriate (AND SAFE) for the battery you are going to charge. The only way to do that is to check the data plate on the charger. It will list the model number for every battery that can be safely charged on it. Check the model number on the data plate on your battery. If you get a match...wallah! If not, do not charge that battery in that charger.
                      Some say Ridgid definately dropped the ball by not putting appropriate warning stickers on each model of charger, however what about all the NiCad chargers already out there and with continuing misinformation regarding use of chargers. Bottom line.....the info is on the charger and battery. Protect yourself....Use it
                      Maybe if you read my entire post, you would have noticed that I was careful to add the Lithium-Ion decal to it, next time read the whole post.

Comment

Maybe if you read my entire post, you would have noticed that I was careful to add the Lithium-Ion decal to it, next time read the whole post.
                        Spinter, I understand your original post but the part that kind of struck home with me was when you mentioned all the chargers out there. That's the thing I'd really like to see Ridgid think about and resolve. You took the time to read the decals and do what was right and that proves you are alert and aware of the hazards. There are probably way too many guys who just don't do the same thing for any number of reasons, they might not know any better to even look for the decals. They might be stressed out over a job and need to grab a Ridgid battery to get finished, the battery says Ridgid 18 volt and it's good to go! Maybe if Ridgid did offer an even exchange program through Home Depot it wouldn't work as I expect, folks would continue to use whatever chargers they had. I just hope Ridgid comes up with a better way of getting the warnings out and if they decide to even swap the chargers all the better for whoever might be in jeopardy.

Comment

What are you a politician or a lawyer? Your first sentence is, "Basically all single port 18 volt chargers will charge both". That is the definative statement most people will remember! That's what you said and thats a pretty clear and strong statement. It is also totaly incorrect. To come back now and imply that someone interpreted that statement incorrectly and to imply that they are wrong is simply being a weasle. You made the statement. Own it! Anything else makes you look foolish.

Comment

What are you a politician or a lawyer? Your first sentence is, "Basically all single port 18 volt chargers will charge both". That is the definative statement most people will remember! That's what you said and thats a pretty clear and strong statement. It is also totaly incorrect. To come back now and imply that someone interpreted that statement incorrectly and to imply that they are wrong is simply being a weasle. You made the statement. Own it! Anything else makes you look foolish.
                            Currently, there seems to be some confusion as to whether that statement is correct or not, and the confussion is being caused by Ridgid. I know they have told you in an email that you could not use the old chargers, but they have told others they could. I say we wait for a more definitive answer before we start bashing others.

Comment

Originally posted by Hottrodd View Post
                              Currently, there seems to be some confusion as to whether that statement is correct or not, and the confussion is being caused by Ridgid. I know they have told you in an email that you could not use the old chargers, but they have told others they could. I say we wait for a more definitive answer before we start bashing others.
                              My argument with Spintyer has nothing to do with the final conclusion of the charger issue. It was his weasily denial of the statement and suggesting that I was attepting to impune him that lead me to impune him.
                              I would suggest to you sir that we are dealing with a very important safety issue here and it important for people to have their facts correct before placing them on this forum. I usually don't pay any attention to the myths, half truths and outright lies that are posted on these pages, however this issue deserves accuracy and truth, not misinformation and evasions. If he made a mistake in his statement then all that is necessary is no response or an acceptance for the mistake. We all make mistakes. I make mistakes and when I do I try to man up to them and correct it. A review of my posts on this forum will support that statement.
                              As to this ongoing controversy relating to the lithium ion safe charger issue I see that all the threads and posts containing Josh's statement quoting a Ridgid source that "it is safe to charge the 18 volt lithium ion batteries on any Ridgid 18 volt charger" have been taken down. Since no statement has replaced that one, I and the rest of us are left to wonder what this action implies. As an employer who has people using some 40 Ridgid cordless tools and a tremendous number of batteries of all voltages and composition, I plan to continue using the same procedure we have used in the past. We will only charge Ridgid 18 volt batteries on Ridgid chargers which specificaly list that batteries model number on its data plate.
                              I strongly suggest that Ridigid do the responsible thing and get a statement up on this forum immediately clarifying this important safety issue. This morning I wrote an email to Ridgid(below) asking for clarification.

Ridgid Technical Support
                              In the last couple of weeks there has been a tremendous amount of discussion on the Ridgid forum reguarding what battery chargers can be used to safely charge the 18 volt lithium ion batteries. I had been under the impression that only chargers which listed the model number of the 18 volt lithium ion batteries were appropriate for charging them.
                              Yesterday I received a big surprise when, Josh, who moderates the forum put up a statement saying "that the electronics in the 18 volt battery was designed in such a way as to make it safe for charging them on all Ridgid 18 volt chargers". He claimed the statement came from Ridgid. I had previously seen a copy of an email from Tom at this address stating that "lithium ion batteries could only be safely charged on chargers specificly designed for them and the older 18 volt chargers designed for 18 volt NiCad batteries could not be safely used to charge 18 volt lithium ion batteries".
                              I see this morning that all of the threads containing the post's that Josh put up on the forum with the above referenced statement have been deleted. I'm assuming this is because his statement is incorrect, however the problem is, many people have already seen the statement with it's possibly dangerously misleading information. On a personal level, we own a fairly large number of Ridgid cordless tools and would greatly appreciate the correct information regarding this important safety issue.
                              I would appreciate a response to this email from a manager in technical services so that I feel safe with the answer. I know that Ridgid shares my concern for providing the correct information to my employees so they can operate Ridgid battery chargers in a safe manner.
                              Thank you for your early response for clarification of this important safety issue
                              Ray Spafford

None of this is intended to denegrate or embarass Josh. I believe the quote he put up is a statement he received from someone at Ridgid. I am dissipointed that he or ProMan or someone haven't clarified the issue. This is an important safety issue and now needs resolution from someone of authority from Ridgid so we can all feel safe when charging 18 volt litium ion batteries...Ray

Comment

Working...
                              X