Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need a little help deciding on a Circular Saw R3200 vs R3210

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
    Come on guys, are we real men or girlie men? Imagine the workout you'd get from a worm drive made from cast iron? What if that piece of furniture grade wood is a little damp? You might not get a second chance to buy that worm drive! I say throw caution to the wind and go for overkill.
    I agree! Why kill when you can overkill? There's nothing like the Popeye forearms that the worm drive will give you. Man up, people!
    Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

Originally posted by joe_d View Post
      I agree! Why kill when you can overkill? There's nothing like the Popeye forearms that the worm drive will give you. Man up, people!
      I was worried about the heft of a worm drive. In the market to replace my 15 year old Skil sidewinder. Had a gift card to Lowes, and they had the Bosch mag worm drive. Night and day compared to any other circ saw Ive used. A lot quieter than any sidewinder Ive come across, and it just works effortlessly thru wood (cut 6 stair stringers out of 2x12 pressure treated lumber that was wet.....warm knife thru butter comes to mind).

My hand was a little cramped at the end of it, but nothing major to worry about. Well worth the minor inconvenience compared to how well the saw felt/tracked. The weight, I think, truly does help with the accuracy. I used my cordless sidewinder to cut the decking (hollow composite, so there wasnt much work for it to do). The worm drive and sw both have their places, but if I were to only own one, it would be the worm drive.

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by joe_d View Post
        when i started working in construction we all had original skill saw worm drive. they weigh a ton! we just bought 3 of the ridgid worm drive saws and i couldn't believe the weight difference and power difference. I LOVE IT!!!! I can use it for 8 hours without a problem compared to my arm cramping up after 4 hours with the old saw. and as far as the oil checking/changing our old skil saws were 20 years old and never been checked. only downside i have found on worm drive is when it is cold out, and i mean 20 or colder it takes the oil a little while to warm up. which makes the blade slower

Comment

Well I ended up picking up the R3200 when it was on sale last month. The reviews for the saw were great (only downside was the lack of a break), and for $79.99 I didn't really think I could go wrong.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
            ...I used my cordless sidewinder to cut the decking (hollow composite, so there wasnt much work for it to do). The worm drive and sw both have their places, but if I were to only own one, it would be the worm drive.

-Chris
            Good point here, IMO. For DIYs, the combination of a WD (for when you absolutely, positively have to cut it) and a cordless sidewinder may be the ideal combination.

Comment

I'm in much the same situation. I'm about half way through a desk project. When I started, it was either buy a table saw, or a circular saw. I went with the latter since I knew I'd need one eventually.

What I wanted was power if I ever needed it, and a blade-left saw (I got used to them doing construction for a couple summers). I bought a Makita hypoid saw and a nice straight edge fence. It takes a little longer and sometimes a couple tries to get a good cut, but it sure helps on cutting 4 x 8 sheets. It's cheaper than most worms but still has lots of power and doesn't require the same maintenance.

Ideally, you'll want both a good table saw and a good circular saw. I know that price and space can both be issues (I'm a poor college student renting a house with five roommates). Whatever you decide, go for quality. You'll appreciate it a few years down the road when it's still working.

Good luck with your projects.

Comment

Shop around a little. Don't forget to check the clearance aisles. I just picked up on clearance a nice bosch worm drive marked down to 118, it was around 10 dollars more than all the other saws I was looking at. If you can afford the worm go for it. It might be a little overkill for small projects, but like all power tools, spending a little more now can end up saving you even more in the long run when you scrimp and end up having to buy another one later

Comment

Working...
                X