X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little help deciding on a Circular Saw R3200 vs R3210

To give a little background here...I'm a new homeowner and have very few tools but a lot of projects I want to do around the house. So I'm trying to outfit my workshop with the required tools to do the majority of my projects. Most of which are simple furniture making projects.

I do not have alot of room in my home, so a table saw is pretty much out of the question, so I decided that I would spend some cash and get myself a decent circular saw instead.

After doing a bit of research I came to the conclusion that I liked the R3200 standard saw, but then I noticed for an extra $70 that I could get the WORM saw. Which from my understanding is a much more powerful tool.

The difficulty I'm having is that I simply don't understand what type of care/maintenance WORM saws require. I read something today stating that they need some type of oil after a usage period, and I'm begining to think that the saw itself might be a lot more than I really need.

Can anyone explain the differences between these two saws to me, and if it wouldn't be too much trouble explain how much extra care/maintenance the WORM saw requires?

Doh! I just realized I posted this in the portable power tool section. Sorry about that
    Last edited by joe f; 01-29-2008, 04:45 PM. Reason: wrong forum.

Re: Need a little help deciding on a Circular Saw R3200 vs R3210

I don't know much about the difference, although I read a post within the last few days where the person said the Ridgid worm saw was the best they had ever used. I'm sure others will post more specific things/likes/dislikes.
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

A worm saw is way more then you will EVER need, unless your going into the carpentry business. Stick to the regular saw it will still do more then you will probably need. Save your $$$ and then you can get a miter saw later or something else.

Comment

Originally posted by spintyer View Post
        A worm saw is way more then you will EVER need, unless your going into the carpentry business. Stick to the regular saw it will still do more then you will probably need. Save your $$$ and then you can get a miter saw later or something else.

i agree completely, a side winder will suit you just fine for what you use it for.
        9/11/01, never forget.

Comment

While I certainly don't disagree with Spintyer or Chevy on the worm vs sidewinder issue, I noticed you said most of your projects would be furniture. I can't imagine anyone getting very far with making furniture without a table saw.
          I know space is an issue, however Ridgid makes a pretty good table saw that comes mounted on an easily folding table which can be quickly folded down and rolled out of the way when not being used. Give it a look here:http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125

Comment

I know all the guys are right, especially about the table saw "But" if you can get a worm drive for just $70.00 more? Go for it buddy. The difference would be like going on a camping trip and either driving a subaru or a Hummer, they'll both get you there but one will kick *** if needed. The worm drive is overkill, but man what a way to go....

Comment

I would also recommend the sidewinder. The wormdrive is overkill. Since you can't get a tablesaw I think the lighter and smaller sidewinder will make it a lot more manageable for light duty work.

As far as the Ridgid saw is concerned it's a very nice and well built saw. Very good finish and comfortable grip. Just about the only thing that really sets it back is the lack of an electric brake option which would be nice to have.

Comment

If you want something in between the normal saw and the worm drive, you need to get the ridgid fuego. It has the lightness of a sidewinder and the speed of a worm drive. The base is composite and mine fell 20 feet down on to concrete and was fine. Best circular saw I have ever used.
                For all Repair and Cleaning needs in DFW, call THAT GUY! 817-565-7508

Comment

I concur with the Ridgid Fuego recommendation - only drawback to that one is that it has a slightly smaller blade.

A worm drive saw is overkill - something that is needed more for framing purposes, where you will be sawing through wet, dense wood potentially. A worm drive saw has a special gear mechanism to it, to get much more torque and strength to the saw's RPMs, versus a regular circ. However, they do have more of a maintenance requirement, by needing to change the gear/drive oil after every so many hours of usage (there are certain models where this may or may not be needed, and the frequency varies). Put it this way - a worm drive saw versus a regular circular saw is like the difference between a standard gas engine and a diesel. However, if for your needs, you really only need a scooter, why spend the extra on a big diesel.

Stay with the normal circ, and spend the extra money on a small portable table saw and/or mitre saw, like the one Ray mentioned.
                  Last edited by canucksartech; 01-29-2008, 08:48 PM.

Comment

Come on guys, are we real men or girlie men? Imagine the workout you'd get from a worm drive made from cast iron? What if that piece of furniture grade wood is a little damp? You might not get a second chance to buy that worm drive! I say throw caution to the wind and go for overkill.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, and the information about the worm saw. I knew it was a bit over kill but my thought process was along the lines of "Well I could spend an extra $70 today, but if I don't get it and need something with more power in the future I'll have to spend $170 for it".

The WORM saw sounds really cool but the fact that it's over kill (and I know it), as well as the oil changing. I like to think I take great care of the things I buy but honestly maintenance like oil changing is something I suspect I probably wouldn't keep good track of considering how often it will be used.

I also looked at the fuego, but I sort of ruled it out due to the size of the saw blade. I was under the impression that it would be better in the long run to have a saw that could cut slightly deeper.

As for the table saw...At this point I really can't justify the purchase of one. It's a space and cost issue. For the price of a decent table saw I can equip my little workshop with a circular saw, router, jig saw and sander.

From what I've read I'm better off trying to cut a straight line with a decent quality circular saw and jig than one of those $99 table saws you can pick up from black & decker, craftsman etc.

Thanks again for the replies I appriciate it.

Comment

I'll throw my hat in the ring with the suggestion from above suggesting the Fuego. Even with blade right, it has an excellent sight line for the blade. Very light weight, cuts fast and very little fatigue at the end of a day (and I believe it's on sale or was for $79). I also have the Ridgid worm drive which is a great saw, but it has a lot of heft to it and if you are just starting and looking for a great all around performer - Fuego.

Comment

I would not go with the Fuego. A 6 1/2" blade saw has very pretty limited blade choices, most intended for framing purposes which will cut very rough on finer work. With a 7 1/4" blade you can at least get a few high tooth count clean cutting blades which he'll need if he wants to use the saw for furniture.

Comment

Originally posted by joe f View Post

As for the table saw...At this point I really can't justify the purchase of one. It's a space and cost issue. For the price of a decent table saw I can equip my little workshop with a circular saw, router, jig saw and sander.

From what I've read I'm better off trying to cut a straight line with a decent quality circular saw and jig than one of those $99 table saws you can pick up from black & decker, craftsman etc.

Thanks again for the replies I appriciate it.

That is true, I would probably avoid those cheapo saws until you can get a better one, at the very least a TS2400 which is excellent. However some of those cheap table saws have been reviewed to work reasonably well. There are certain cuts that will simply impossible to do with any reasonable amount of safety with a circular saw

Comment

Get the higher power saw - more power than you need is always better than a tool lacking in power from day one. I bought a chainsaw for cutting up a few trees so I got the entry level model. For a few bucks more I should have moved up a model, would have saved me some time the day I decided to cut down 50 trees in a weekend. Tim the Tool Man was right..........MORE POWER!!!! ARRRH!! ARRRH!!
                              I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

Working...
                              X