Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is a "Core" drill??

Gopher,
    There are two types of coring machines...the majority are anchored down.
    Then there's the handheld, Hilti makes one.
    The handheld is the best upper body workout I know when coring vertically, I used it extensively as an apprentice.
    I used to request to do the coring with the handheld because it did wonders to my arms, shoulders and back muscles.
    There are also dry bits that are designed for use without water/lubrication when in a finish area that water might harm.
    Someone made a VERY important point...when drilling concrete slab, be sure there are no tension cables in the concrete.
    Often the slab needs to be X-rayed to locate any potential obstacles.

Comment

Go,
      Never ever ever wear gloves when using a core drill. Way too many good men have lost an arm when using either a core drill or one of Milwaukee's Mag drills. They go to clear chips away from hole, glove gets snagged on chips or bit or spindle and they get pulled in. These drills will not stop for something like an arm. Take care.
      Jim Don

Comment

Here is a Milwaukee Core Drill. It's portable enough, notice the wheels for easy maneuvering. Definably different than your regular hammer drill.

http://www.ohiopowertool.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=4120-22
        Jay
        Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
        Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jay6 View Post
          Here is a Milwaukee Core Drill. It's portable enough, notice the wheels for easy maneuvering. Definably different than your regular hammer drill.

http://www.ohiopowertool.com/item-detail.cfm?ID=4120-22
          Very nice machine indeed. There are however large hammerdrill such as the Hilti TE 76 which I've used with dry core bits to drill very large and deep holes horizonatally. No water cooling or dust removal so it' a messy and very physical job.

Comment

Perhaps I'm weird in this..I always really enjoyed running a core drill.All the setup layout etc was relaxing and enjoyable.I cored once for a month 6 days a week 10 hours a day most those holes were over 4'' and all the decks were about 12'' thick.I had a friend long ago that only cored or cut concrete he was never lacking for work but then he traveled about a 300 mile radius too.His van was a super setup everything in its place several of each bit or saw in a shelving unit on the non door side.He retired very comfortable,its a great biz for someone but not cheap to do the startup.
            Sam

Comment

Working...
            X