X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a "Core" drill??

I was looking at some Hilti drills on E-bay...kept seeing "core" drills and drill bits....look huge....like a hole saw for concrete....but not realy sure..

so to clear up my lack of knowledge I figured Id ask.

What in the heck is a core drill? What is it used for/why???

thanks all.

Re: What is a "Core" drill??

You are right, it is a hole saw for concrete. Used to drill through walls etc. for pipes conduit or whatever.
    Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Gopher View Post
      I was looking at some Hilti drills on E-bay...kept seeing "core" drills and drill bits....look huge....like a hole saw for concrete....but not realy sure..

so to clear up my lack of knowledge I figured Id ask.

What in the heck is a core drill? What is it used for/why???

thanks all.
      a core drill is what joey hates me talking about

it's a diamond hole saw, typically water cooled and most commonly run in a coring rig/ stand. similar to a drill press, but get bolted to the concrete either on a wall or a floor and sometimes upside down on a ceiling

the drill is a heavy duty slow speed with clutch or shear pin. with water feed to cool the bit and wash away the slurry.

most common sizes are 1''- 12'' but they come bigger and smaller. the normal depth is approx. 14'' drilling without an extension.

typical applications are hole in concrete slabs, deck walls, curbs.
      and yes they are expensive. they will drill right through rebar and electrical conduit

do i own 1 no

i own 5 machines and 20+ bits

thursday i have a curb 4'' hole and monday i have a 3'' hole on a deck 12'' deep

rick.
      phoebe it is

Comment

1. Make sure your wearing all your PPE(Personal Protective Equipment) before using one.

2. Get ready for a work out.

3. Be prepared for the drill to kick, and hard.
        Proud To Be Union!!

Comment

this is one type , you use water with this and it is nice to drill holes with
          Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
          http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
          http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

WOW that was fast!!!!

Rick Do u do new construction???? I know we dont have one at our shop....but we only do service plumbing...and not much commerical buildings.....sooo is this something a plumbing company would normaly have around the shop???

Comment

The Hilti drills and core bits you are seeing on E-bay are simply hammerdrills with core bits that do in concrete what a hole saw does on a wood door. Instead of drilling a hole with what you know as a standard masonry bit, a core bit is more like a cup with carbide teeth around it's edge. The result is a smooth round chunk of concrete being removed. If you need a big hole you can achieve a silimar result using a smaller bit and chisel, it just won't look so pretty.

Comment

My company does not own a core machine any more, but I do still have a lot of hole saws for one.

We just finished a dorm at a local university and had around 800 holes to sleeve for the project. Right off the bat, the concrete guys we screwing up and making a mess of things. We decided to take bids on core drilling to save everyone a lot of aggrivation.

We got all the holes drilled at a price per hole. The price was $13.00. Hell , I could not pass that up.

The same company will be doing some future projects with me. It just makes sense to do it at that rate.

Regards,

Comment

Originally posted by biscuit View Post
                  My company does not own a core machine any more, but I do still have a lot of hole saws for one.

We just finished a dorm at a local university and had around 800 holes to sleeve for the project. Right off the bat, the concrete guys we screwing up and making a mess of things. We decided to take bids on core drilling to save everyone a lot of aggrivation.

We got all the holes drilled at a price per hole. The price was $13.00. Hell , I could not pass that up.

The same company will be doing some future projects with me. It just makes sense to do it at that rate.

Regards,
                  $13.00 is dirt cheap. what size holes and how thick? was it a floor with a vacuum pad? it can be done cheap, but it needs to be mass production to make some money.

years ago we had a job that was robertson decking. to can the holes was a project. coring was clean and they even cored the metal decking. i don't recall the price per hole, but it was around what you paid 20 years later

spancrete was always cored. along with block walls.

now we have to be careful with all the post tension cables.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Evil Gopher here's a few pics of a job I did this past summer which involved using a core drill to install a chain link fence on top of a retaining wall.

This is the Hilti unit I rented with a 4" diamond core being used...
                    Attachment

Shot showing base bolted down as Rick mentioned...
                    Attachment

This is what it looks like when finished drilling... (I went about 14" deep)
                    Attachment

I easy chipped out the core with my Hitachi jack hammer and a chisel bit...
                    Attachment

It will easily cut through rebar like Rick said...
                    Attachment

continued on next post...
                    Attached Files
                    Cheers! - Jim
                    -------------
                    All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

This is the rickety wooden fence I was hired to replace...
                      Attachment

The frame work is in and hanging the chain link fabric...
                      Attachment

All finished with privacy slats in place (very tedious job )
                      Attachment

That fence will last a while, galvanized posts grouted in at 14" deep...
                      Couldn't have done it without the core drill

Thanks for looking
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by jbergstrom; 01-30-2008, 01:44 AM.
                      Cheers! - Jim
                      -------------
                      All truth passes through three stages: First it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. - Schopenhauer

Comment

Originally posted by jbergstrom View Post
                        This is the rickety wooden fence I was hired to replace...
                        Attachment

The frame work is in and hanging the chain link fabric...
                        Attachment

All finished with privacy slats in place (very tedious job )
                        Attachment

That fence will last a while, galvanized posts grouted in at 14" deep...
                        Couldn't have done it without the core drill

Thanks for looking
                        That's a top notch job you did, beautiful work. I know Hilti makes huge bits for their bigger drill but without the core bit you would never get through that rebar. Must have been an awful lot of work but it looks like it grew in place, well worth whatever you charged.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                          $13.00 is dirt cheap. what size holes and how thick? was it a floor with a vacuum pad? it can be done cheap, but it needs to be mass production to make some money.

years ago we had a job that was robertson decking. to can the holes was a project. coring was clean and they even cored the metal decking. i don't recall the price per hole, but it was around what you paid 20 years later

spancrete was always cored. along with block walls.

now we have to be careful with all the post tension cables.

rick.
                          Yep, it was dirt cheap and we use them a lot.

The holes were anywhere from 2" up to 7" with most being in the 5" range. The thickness was around 4" on a corrugated metal floor decks.

Regards,

Comment

$13.00 is an unrealistic number for a 5" hole in our area.If I'm puting a price together for a job I make sure plug in $150 for the coring company.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                              $13.00 is an unrealistic number for a 5" hole in our area.If I'm puting a price together for a job I make sure plug in $150 for the coring company.
                              $13.00 is a unrealistic number for a 5" core in any area in my opinion.

That number would be much higher if it were just a few holes, but we bring them on site and they will core several hundread holes for us using "south of the border" labor most of the time.

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                              X