X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CRAFTSMAN 19.2 VOLT CORDLESS tools?

never realy see people post about "CRAFTSMAN" power tools...see a lot about their hand tools.. soooo whats the verdict on the Craftsman 19.2 VOLT CORDLESS tool line???

Re: CRAFTSMAN 19.2 VOLT CORDLESS tools?

Their cordless line is subcontracted to TTI. The 18v line are craftsman branded Ryobi tools. I'm pretty sure the 19.2v tools are largely the same tools as well.

Comment

AFAIK, they're made by Ryobi. They seem fine for homeowners, amateurs, and DIYer's, but I doubt they'd hold up well on a construction site. Sale prices can get pretty attractive....I got the drill and impact driver with 2 battery packs for $73. I love the impact driver.

Comment

My buddy and I built the playhouse shown here in my avatar. He used his Craftsman cordless tools and I used my Ridgid. Occasionally he used mine. By the end of the project, he was disappointed with his Craftsman and in love with Ridgid. Last week he bought the Ridgid 8 piece Ultimate set. A lifelong Craftsman guy converted!
        Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

I have the kit with the 19.2 V drill, the right angle drill, and two batteries.
          I got it in March and used it for a major remodel project almost every day after work, and full days on Saturday and Sunday for all of May and June and half of July. Outside of that, I used it to assemble one of those metal garages at my camp and on a few projects at my rental house. It's heavy, but works great. The Right angle drill is too heavy, and kind of unbalanced. It's rare that I find it useful.

Comment

It took me 3 craftsmen kits to finally make a change for what i thought was the better. When i first started in the construction field 5 years ago i bought the 19.2 drill with a flash light for 99 bux. both batteries lasted a little over a year and the drill died just after the batteries. I then bought their 5pc kit which has the drill, sawzall, circ saw and light for 199 with the diehard batteries. The batteries once again lasted a year but in the mean time i bought the hammerdrill with 2 more batteries for 99bux and it is still running fine even though i used it all of 3 times. I have since retired all the crafstmen power tools to home use only since they take forever to charge and then only last minutes. So i went to Ridgid and got the 18v LIion drill for 179. it had a bad battery out of the box so they replaced that whole drill kit. then the second on the charger went bad in 3 weeks so they replaced the charger, then 2 weeks later the speed control went out on the drill. I returned it and bought the milwaukee and so far am very pleased. but as a side note to this long meaningless post, my buddy at work bought the 8pc kit from Ridgid and i love it, mainly the circ saw and the impact driver. wish i could find one cheap

Comment

I just got done looking at the Craftsman 19.2 last week. I thought about buying the kit because the price was so good and I figured that they would last for 3-4 years and that would give the new Lithium batteries and tools more time to get out and get in supply. Also the ni-cad batteries are so cheap now. I bought a lithium driver after all because of the weight and longer battery life.

Comment

The 19.2s are just too big and bulky. Even if they were ok in other ways, that is a deal killer.
                I do have a few 14.4 units that I use frequently though. In the 14.4 voltage, the right angle drill is much more balanced. I also use a 14.4 impact driver as a "second" unit. I also use a 14.4 drill for small stuff like predrilling/countersinking for screws.

18v Makita is my first line tool of choice.

Comment

I think the Craftsman 19.2 tools are average, at work there are drills from skil to the new 18v li makita. I recently got an 18v li makita b&w drill after making a point of using all the other kinds. I think craftsman is the only drill line to get the led placement right (on the battery shooting upwards). other than that I found the drill to be similar to a dewalt in weight and size.
                  I seriously looked into the craftsman li drills also, the voltages were different than everyone else (higher) but the torque seemed lower. they also seemed to be rather large, which defeats the point for my kind of use.
                  The LED flashlight for the craftsman pro. is great I realy wish Makita would make an LED flashlight for the LI line.
                  I am an aircraft mechanic, mostly these drills are being used to install and remove machine screws for inspections and maintenance (high cycles low torque), not quite the same as driving screws into lumber or drilling wood.
                  The two guys who have 19.2v craftsman drills also ended up getting about a year out of their batteries.

Comment

i have the 18 volt, the 19.2 volt craftsman sets
                    the 18 volt set is the drill and 5 1/2 saw
                    takes too long to charge. charger died after a year, had to get a replacement off ebay

got the 19.2 volt drill and stapler/nailer set then added the sawz all, and 5 1/2 inch saw.
                    had to get more batteries just to keep up with work load over charge time
                    sawzall lasts like 20 minutes of work time per charge. if i cannot use my corded makita saw i use it

the trigger went on my drill. sears did not want to replace it till i went over everyones head and went to store manager and she got it replaced. the warranty is for 3 years but no parts , they replaced the whole drill with new kit, 2 batteries and charger and drill.
                    i used it at work all the time till i saw the ridgid 18 volt compact drill on sale for 99 bucks last fall, i got it and ten the gf got me the max select 6 1/2 saw as my christmas gift. i have never looked back for a jobsite drill, since then added the 14.4 impact, and this weekend added the 14.4 1/2 inche drill set.

craftsman is fine for light duty jobs and if you have tons of time for charge time or lots of batteries, having to take like 6 batteries to a job site is just a waste of space and too much time is wasted changing batteries.

I will stick to my ridgid line now......

going to dump the craftsman line, great handtools but lousy cordless in my mind
                    once you go orange you never go back
                    Last edited by stuart_canada; 02-26-2008, 01:06 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

P.o.s

Comment

Does anybody know if the Craftsman and Ryobi batteries are interchangeable?

Comment

They will not fit. Different voltage 19.2 vs. 18. Different contact point in the tool. Different clip point.

Even though the post is in a different place and the clip is slightly different, I did find out (during a power cut) that the Ryobi batteries did fit and locked into my old 18 volt Craftsman light. It really wasn't too secure, but it worked.

Comment

Craftsman has the new lithium upgrade kit out for their 19.2's and the batteries look just like the Ryobi lithiums. They even have the same test button on them.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...d=19.2+lithium
                            http://imgs.ebuild.com/cms/ebuild/20...ery%20copy.jpg

Comment

I agree they look very similar. They are probably made in the same place. But take a closer look at the pictures. The metal contact points of the Craftsman is inside the stand-post, while the contacts on the Ryobi battery are on the outside of the post. There is a long ridge of plastic running up the front of the Craftsman, which will prevent insertion into any Ryobi tools. the Ryobi battery has a platform at the bottom of the post, which will prevent full insertion of the battery in the Craftsman tool.

Comment

Working...
                              X