Compressor Cut-Out

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Compressor Cut-Out

I just purchased a small air compressor. It is a Powerbuilt HOTROD. It is rated for 125 PSI. When I run it, it cuts out once it hits approximately 115 PSI. I think it should pump up to 125 PSI and was going to return it. I e-mailed the manufacturer for their opinion and they said that the 10 PSI shortage is normal as a safety precaution. Is this true or are they just hoping I will not return the unit? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Re: Compressor Cut-Out

You might want to check the tank pressure for start and stop with another gauge. On most small portable air compressors the included gauge(s) are pretty sad quality and may be off that much or more.

Comment

I agree with Wousko, cheap and inaccurate pressure guages seem to be the norm on a lot of these less expensive compressors.

However, the answer you got from the manufacturer is not acceptable either. If a compressor is rated and sold to reach 125 psig (or whatever), then that is what the pressure swith cut-out should be. The safety margin certainly should not be at the top pressure cited for operation. Actually, there should be an ASME stamp on the tank that states the maximum operation pressure and the maximum allowable working pressure. The MAWP should be stated on the tank and that should never be exceeded for any reason.

Unfortunately all compressor on the market don't have ASME stamped tanks and it seems apparent that regulations are tough to enforce on some of these cheaper imports. It's sort of like a lot of import products not meeting UL standards.

I hope this helps,

CWS
      Last edited by CWSmith; 01-31-2008, 02:21 AM.

Comment

1. Good luck finding an ASME-NB receiver (tank) on any lower cost air compressor and especially the small portables regardless of where it was made.

2. Stating one thing on the machine or in the manual and telling you another is simply telling lies.

3. Please do try another pressure gauge.

4. You should be able to take the cover off the pressure switch and adjust it. Remember to never, ever set it above the maximum rated pressure on the receiver or on a label whichever is lower.

WARNING: Be sure to unplug the power cord before attempting any repairs or adjustments. Machinery that can start when you aren't expecting it results in and *&^$#@!^(&#!~~())^^$%&%&*)

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          2. Stating one thing on the machine or in the manual and telling you another is simply telling lies.
          Actually, I do believe he's noticing a problem with his air compressor that I noticed with mine. Which is the Ridgid 2.5 gallon aluminum twin-stack. It also cuts out 10 psi or so early. States on the compressor and packaging that it's a 135 psi compressor, but it shuts off at 125 psi.
          Last edited by canucksartech; 02-03-2008, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by canucksartech View Post
            Actually, I do believe he's noticing a problem with his air compressor that I noticed with mine. Which is the Ridgid 2.5 gallon aluminum twin-stack. It also cuts out 10 psi or so early. States on the compressor and packaging that it's a 135 psi compressor, but it shuts off at 125 psi.
            Well, what do you expect for forty nine dol....oops! Oh yeah, never mind.

Eli
            A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

Oh, Eli - If only I could, buddy! LOL.

Comment

Working...
              X