X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIDGID 1/2 In. Heavy Duty Right Angle Drill Model R7130

The brick & mortar BORG is having one heckuva clearance on these bad boys.

$149.00 if you can find them.

Hit some contractor forums for reviews & almost to a T, they rave about it. They say it is better than the Milwaukee Hole Hawg, which is high praise indeed.

Re: RIDGID 1/2 In. Heavy Duty Right Angle Drill Model R7130

If anyone wants to drive out to the Quad Cities I've got one left. I'll even save it for ya if it's left when I get into work tomorrow

I have read a bunch of reviews on it and most of them have been very positive. At 50% off what the retail was it is one heck of a deal.

Comment

do you know if that clearance is at all the stores?

Comment

Where I am in Central MD near Washington, DC they are either sold out or are at the regular price.

Comment

wow, can i use that to stir compound say in a 5 gallon container?

i currently use ridgid's 1/2 inch 8.5 amp drill but i think it's not designed for this low rpm/high torque application.

Comment

Originally posted by DeuceLee View Post
            wow, can i use that to stir compound say in a 5 gallon container?

i currently use ridgid's 1/2 inch 8.5 amp drill but i think it's not designed for this low rpm/high torque application.
            Same as you, I'd been using my Ridgid 1/2" drill to mix mud & was just waiting for the day when I'd finally burn that sucker up.

Used the right angle drill this morning set to #1 (low rpm - mega torque) & mixed up a bunch of thinset for some tiling I'm doing no sweat.

Comment

Woussko,

Have the drill scanned & I'll betcha it shows up at the sale price. Lots of guys are reporting the normal price ($299.00) showing on the shelves & that the BORG managers / employees don't even know it's on sale, but when they go to have it scanned, it registers the sale price of $149.00.

On another note, I'm installing an automatic fire sprinkler system in my basement shop (entire house for that matter). Had to drill 2 1/2" holes through some first growth knotty pine 2 x 10's floor joists (1952 house) for the sprinkler pipe runs. In one area I was drilling through doubled first growth 2 x 10's - 3/4" ply - two more new 2 x 10's, using a self feed bit.

Braced the pipe, put that sucker in low rpm high torque mode & it was like a hot knife through butter without so much as a hint of catching.

This thing is a monster. It also has 3 speed settings ~ vs ~ only 2 speed settings for the Milwaukee Hole Hawg.

If you've been thinking of a right angle drill, don't pass this one up....especially at a $149.00

EDIT: The bail handle is adjustable, but requires a 14mm wrench which is not supplied. So if you pick one of these up, grab a 14mm wrench if you don't have one.
              Last edited by bigscore; 02-02-2008, 11:09 AM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...p?productID=28

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...det&tag=DA4031

http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba..._192164_192137

All of the above cost well above $150 but they will make minced meat out of the Ridgid R A drill and others like it. I personally like #1 for overall design.

WARNING: These bad boys can rip you apart even when used correctly and with all safety rules followed. Please use with care and do read the instructions, follow safety rules and if it just feels wrong in your gut then stop and think.
                Last edited by Woussko; 02-02-2008, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                  http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...p?productID=28

http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=pr...det&tag=DA4031

http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba..._192164_192137

All of the above cost well above $150 but they will make minced meat out of the Ridgid R A drill and others like it. I personally like #1 for overall design.

WARNING: These bad boys can rip you apart even when used correctly and with all safety rules followed. Please use with care and do read the instructions, follow safety rules and if it just feels wrong in your gut then stop and think.
                  I dunno guy about those making minced meat out of the RIDGID R A drill. A couple of amps difference ain't all that much.

Head over to a few construction forums where it's only guys who use R A drills for a living (like JLC for example) to hear what they have to say about it.

I've read at various sites where quite a few guys bought the RIDGID to replace their broken one & now prefer it for every day use. It's slightly lighter weight & 3 speeds are the top two reasons listed for why they like it so much. Nobody has complained about it lacking muscle.

But you're right about these things being wrist breakers. Gotta make sure you brace that side pipe when using any of these puppies, or they can practically wrench your arms right out of their sockets if they catch on a knot or something.

Comment

One last detail on the RIDGID right angle drill that seperates itself from the competition.

Its slip clutch operates at all 3 speeds.

To my knowledege, no other right angle drill has this feature. Slip clutch on only one speed, or even worse, no slip clutch at all, is a big reason you see so many right angle drills in the repair shop.

They've quite literally torn themselves apart.

If you're in the market for a right angle drill, whichever one you decide on, do yourself a big favor & eliminate from consideration the cheaper ones that don't have a slip clutch.

Comment

Working...
                    X