X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use for Cordless reciprocal saw/sawzall

Probably a silly newbie kind of question for the pros on this forum. Anyway, what would one use the reciprocal saw for? I have done a little bit of house work and I realised why circular saw, compound miter saw, table saw and rotary saw (Rotozip) are highly useful tools. But reciprocal saw?? Please educate this "green horn". Thanks!

Re: Use for Cordless reciprocal saw/sawzall

One word for primary use (and best use, IMO) of this particular tool - DEMO!

Besides demo, a recip is great for just miscellaneous cutting. Cutting ABS pipe, metal pipe or tube or some other metal stock. Cutting tree limbs. Cutting down some framing and drywall for demo purposes, if needed. Cutting down small children in their prime. Cutting various tricky cuts that a circ saw or jig saw just can't do. Cutting very deep, long cuts that another tool just can't do.

But best of all, for demo. Did I mention demo?

Comment

In a word: DE-construction!

The recip saw will chew through a wall or floor pretty fast. Just make sure there's no live wires, plumbing, or worse, "GAS" lines in there! It's great for taking out that old deck too. With the right blade, it will cut through both wood and nails.

I've watched my plumber cut through old galvanized pipe (and pretty much anything else that seemed to get in his way... I got the impression, plumbers need a lot of room .

In addition, I've used mine for pruning, and also for cutting up a couple of tree limbs that came down in a storm last summer.

With the right blade, a good recip saw will cut through most anything.

CWS

Comment

The reciprocating saw can be used in place of a hacksaw and for those of use who can remember sawing through car exhaust pipes by hand it's a real work and time saver. Also great for tight spaces, sawing through window and doors frames loaded with nails. Easily fits behind wood siding to slice through nails in order to replace a damage piece. Great for trimming threaded rod. Very handy tool.

Comment

Once you have one, you will wonder how did without it.
          It's just the saw for when you got that impossible cut that
          no other saw will do.
          A must have tool for demolition and Home Remodeling.
          You name it and more than likely the sawzall can cut it.

Comment

Thank you all for responding to my question. So a reciprocating saw is like a small "bulldozer" - to get rid of things that get in the way

Comment

Originally posted by Lo-tse View Post
              Thank you all for responding to my question. So a reciprocating saw is like a small "bulldozer" - to get rid of things that get in the way
              Yes, like small children in their prime. Or neighbourhood dogs and cats. But only ones without collars.
              Last edited by canucksartech; 02-04-2008, 12:19 AM.

Comment

also good for undercutting casing when installing flooring (with a long enough blade and some care), as well as trimming shims when installing prehung doors and there are shim heels sticking out of the jambs.
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by Davet View Post
                  Once you have one, you will wonder how did without it.
                  It's just the saw for when you got that impossible cut that
                  no other saw will do.
                  A must have tool for demolition and Home Remodeling.
                  You name it and more than likely the sawzall can cut it.
                  Doing HVAC installs..changeing out old units..put new one in...use the Sazall to cut out old stuff..pipes int he chases...hack down the stand..and cut in if needed new registers.

As a plumber's helper...gopher...cut off angle stops and such when doing repipes...cutting stuff oout of walls...and cutting stuff in the way...and sometimes walls.

I also find that It it works very well in removeing the fingers, hands, arms of ANYONE I catch touching my tools without my permission

Comment

Originally posted by Lo-tse View Post
                    circular saw, compound miter saw, table saw and rotary saw (Rotozip) are highly useful tools
                    I don't own any of these tools because my recip saw can do the work of all the above

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
                      I don't own any of these tools because my recip saw can do the work of all the above
                      MACGUYVER!!!!!

Comment

Treeroots,yard pipng.Like it was said here before,once you own one you'll wonder why you didn't spend the 100 bucks sooner

Comment

Makes an excellent back scratcher too!

Only kidding!

Comment

The sawzall is the tool of choice for all of the Nascar teams for repairs. With Milwaukee's The Torch blade, a sawzall can make quick work of fender benders in auto racing. Fire fighters use the cordless version to get into houses really fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Engineer View Post
                              Fire fighters use the cordless version to get into houses really fast.
                              Yes, from my little frozen north up here, they are widely used. Whether within fire departments or search and rescue operations, a cordless recip paired up with Bosch's rescue blades make for an invaluable rescue tool. Cut through many a windshield and car body with that combination.

But it's more fun with small pets...

Comment

Working...
                              X